Proposed "Roots" Trip and TR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed "Roots" Trip and TR

As i've got older, I'm starting to feel the need to connect with my roots. It's easy enough to do so with the 'european' side of the family, as it's only scotland and ireland.
    It's a little more involved with the Guyanese side of things, which has given me the perfect excuse for a trip. A trip that will also allow for some father/son time too.

Here's the proposed routing/carrier:
    MAN-BGI with VS, currently showing as a 747. This will be in premium economy. Unless Upper is really worth the considerable extra outlay and changing departure to LGW (proper VS clubhouse as opposed to shared lounge at MAN?)

Stay in Barbados for 3 nights.....any suggested recommendations for accomodation? I've looked at the Hyatt but i'd like something good, but outside of the major chains.....Mangobay? Colony Club? Almond Beach Village? those are just a few that i've shortlisted so far...

BGI-POS with LIAT. This is a little inter-island airline, which would allow me to experience a Dash 8 too. I'm always up for unusual aircraft experiences.
    Trinidad - again, a 3 night stay, but as the convention travel agent style outlets i've looked at so far are all focussed on Tobago....sort of stuck here. Anyone been to Trinidad? Where did you stay?

POS-GEO - Again, with LIAT on their little Dash 8. Guyana accomodation is probably the easiest of the lot, i've got family there. if i was to split my stay though, is The Pegasus still about as good as it gets? No major chains in such a little place these days and the Pegasus is fairly well located. The other possiblity from a cursory search is Herdsmanston Lodge, opposite the Brazilian Ambassador's residence, which seems to have a good rep. Thoughts?

Return trip would be GEO-BGI (LIAT) the transfer back to VS for homecoming.
    granted, none of it is SQ, but it'd be a trip report and a half.
    So, what do we think so far? and have you any thoughts on the hotel situations?
    If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Lucky you! I have Guyanese friends in Toronto and they always have a ball everytime they go back to the Caribbean. Looking forward to your TR.
    Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

we're probably related......
      If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Now that'd be a TR worth reading!

Comment

Guyana!. Nearly went there last year for work. My old fella went there a few times in days gone by, to Georgetown, New Amsterdam, Onverwagt... He always described it as a 'lively' place.

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
          Here's the proposed routing/carrier:
          MAN-BGI with VS, currently showing as a 747. This will be in premium economy. Unless Upper is really worth the considerable extra outlay and changing departure to LGW (proper VS clubhouse as opposed to shared lounge at MAN?)
          No VS Clubhouse at MAN. They operate the 744 to BGI once a week and now also the 343 once a week to replace the BD flights dropped last year.

Stay in Barbados for 3 nights.....any suggested recommendations for accomodation? I've looked at the Hyatt but i'd like something good, but outside of the major chains.....
          Presume you mean Hilton as there is no Hyatt in Barbados. We have done a week in the Hilton for the last couple of years and enjoy it. Of course there are far nicer places to stay but when it's free (burning a HHonors GLONP2 award) then it's nice enough and has a nice beach.

BGI-POS with LIAT. This is a little inter-island airline, which would allow me to experience a Dash 8 too. I'm always up for unusual aircraft experiences.

POS-GEO - Again, with LIAT on their little Dash 8.

Return trip would be GEO-BGI (LIAT) the transfer back to VS for homecoming.
          Ah, LIAT, aka Leave Island Any Time or Late If At All.

In fairness they are not as bad as some make out, and hopping around caribbean islands on turboprops is one of the more enjoyable flying experiences. I particularly like flying in and out of St Lucia (SLU not UVF) and St Vincent.

There is also Caribbean Airlines (ex-Bwee/BWIA) who fly 737's around the region and you can use to go BGI-POS-GEO. I use them to fly between Barbados and Antigua. Also flown on a Bwee 343 from POS to ANU (which continued on to MAN but I got off) before they got rid of their long haul fleet.

Comment

I was considering using one of the London airports, but only if I go Upper. Unlikely. TBH, access to the Escape lounge at MAN would be adequate.
            Not sure I'm too sold on the 343........Done those (with another airline) but upper deck on a 744 would be another experience.

I think i got my islands mixed up with the Hyatt - there's one of those on Trinadad. But, you piqued my interest re: comment on the Hilton Barbados.......where else would you suggest?

The return leg, i'd rather not stop in POS between GEO and BGI, though may be unavoidable. My Old Man used to swear by bwee too. I'm fairly ambivalent, but if i'm chalking up as many experiences as possible, then why not?

Guyana visit would take in Georgetown, Berbice, Kaieteur.......possibly even Mount Roraima and a trip to the interior (mad idea)

And as for LIAT......hey, you're in the caribbean........adopt the local attitude, kick back and crack open another bottle of Demerara Rum......
            Last edited by Javaman; 11 September 2009, 05:51 PM. Reason: added Guyanese destinations

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
              kick back and crack open another bottle of Demerara Rum......
              When they bring the rum
              they bring out the roti
              aloo with channa
              mixed up with some curry...

Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Working...
              X