Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    Dorm rooms???
    Uh-huh... Did your much vaunted American sense of humour just miss that one by a mile???

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      Uh-huh... Did your much vaunted American sense of humour just miss that one by a mile???
      Yes it did! I understand the W Los Angeles, but this one?! + a half smile emoticon...
      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        Well, it's now August, care to share your thoughts?

Also, any other in-depth perspectives on SPG properties with special emphasis on proximity to tourist attractions would be greatly appreciated!
        I think there's a St Regis and 2 Westins in Beijing.

Comment

Originally posted by benlee View Post
          HUGE AL

Comment

Yes it did! I understand the W Los Angeles, but this one?! + a half smile emoticon...
            Dude... the full quote was:

Them old souped-up dorm rooms? Don't you really want to know about Hyatt Place?
            It was a recurring Hyatt Place-Park Hyatt comment (*)...

(*) i.e. not a comment that PH Beijing was a dorm room. just the opposite...

Comment

benlee is correct!

Now I'm why you're ...?

Comment

It was a recurring Hyatt Place-Park Hyatt comment (*)...

(*) i.e. not a comment that PH Beijing was a dorm room. just the opposite...
                Sorry...alcohol...

benlee is correct!

Now I'm why you're ...?
                I was because Kyo+ asked:

Originally posted by Kyo+ View Post
                ...any other in-depth perspectives on SPG properties with special emphasis on proximity to tourist attractions would be greatly appreciated!
                And was answered:

We can all find the properties via spg.com...it's the perspectives he (and I'm sure others, including me) was after.
                HUGE AL

Comment

We can all find the properties via spg.com...it's the perspectives he (and I'm sure others, including me) was after.
                  Ahh, got it and with you there!

Comment

Other Beijing Great Hotels

I usually stay at the Regent which was new about three years ago. Great location. Service and decor are fantastic. The new Hilton Beijing Wangfujing has gotten incredible reviews on Trip Advisor and I may opt for that in February when I return to Beijing. The rooms are HUGE and the location is excellent. NOT to be confused with older Hilton Beijing hotel.

Comment

As it happens, my penultimate stay for SPG Plat is nigh approaching and it happens that PEK is once again on the menu. However I haven't decided where to stay.

Mattress-running will be obligatory this round I'm afraid, so please bear with me!

The choices for these 2 nights are between (price in brackets):

The Great Wall Sheraton Beijing (690RMB)
                      The Westin Beijing Chaoyang (1200RMB)
                      The Westin Beijing Financial Street (1300RMB)

Considerations:

I have a very early SQ803 departing at 8:45AM the following day (this stay is mid-week incidentally), so whichever is nearest to the airport the night before would be a big plus, and very likely the decider. Proximity to nearby shopping centres/places of interest also a big plus.

I'm not doing the St Regis this round as I've stayed there previously and don't mind trying out new things. Its location isn't really what I'd call 'perfect' either...

Right now I'm thinking of the Westin Beijing Chaoyang and the Great Wall Sheraton Beijing (since they'd be fairly close to each other). Which is closer to the airport and is this the right choice?

Many thanks in advance!

Comment

Stayed at the Sheraton Great Wall in 2006. Wasn't that impressed. Rooms were very old and the place seemed out of touch. Not sure if there have been any renovations since.
                        blog

Comment

I wouldn't think so having just tried it last night (was only in there from 12:30AM to 6AM anyway.

The Westin was AWESOME - their Renewal Room (suite?) that I got upgraded to (as SPG Gold) was beyond expectations, even though it's a pricey property. If it wasn't for the location (way out from Wangfujing), it'd probably be my choice when in PEK. However, the lobby areas just didn't do it for me (too edgy) as I'm more used to the Westin in BKK.

Comment

You probably stayed at the Westin Chaoyang? I'm planning my frigid January Beijing trip and have placed a great importance of stating within Wangfujing... Would Westin Beijing Financial Street be "the one"?

Or would there be some Hyatts worth considering?

Comment

The Hyatt's location is tip-top, however I stayed at the Hilton Beijing Wangfujing (I too learnt my lesson that Beijing is all about location; Wangfujing for me is as important as me staying in Siam when in Bangkok...) for the first two nights. The Hilton was very nice indeed and as my first paid HH Gold stay, they fully took care of us, with Exec bonuses etc... I would definitely pick the Hilton again as I have no Hyatt status.

I stayed at the Westin Chaoyang on the 3rd night, and 4th night was at Great Wall Sheraton (not great at all, at least I got a stay credit out of it).

I've been told (previously also in this thread and the dedicated Westin Beijing Financial St thread) that the location of the other Westin is also inconvenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                                The Hilton was very nice indeed and as my first paid HH Gold stay, they fully took care of us, with Exec bonuses etc... I would definitely pick the Hilton again as I have no Hyatt status.
                                I echo that - stayed at the Hilton for 6 nights a couple of weeks ago. The diamond HH status helps, but it was a superb stay. First time I've had a HH "customer representative" greet me and spend about 45mins with me at check-in going through what I wanted to do in Beijing, and getting all information I needed on the spot. The rooms itself are great, as is the exec lounge breakfast (didn't try tea/drinks as I was out all day). And the location is as central as one could ask for - right on the middle of WangFuJing and a 5-10min walk to the closest subway.

Comment

Working...
                                X