A350 Deliveries and Routes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
    That will spare up a good number of B777-300ERs for other routes. Perhaps we will then see rollout of S Class being ramped up and B777-200ERs/B777-300s replaced by 77WR to SYD and MEL?
    it's not as exciting as it sounds unfortunately- GRU only flies 3x weekly so apart from two 6 hour overlaps a week, it could effectively be flown by one plane. AMS will actually free up more 77W hours because it has a daily 8 hour overlap.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
      it's not as exciting as it sounds unfortunately- GRU only flies 3x weekly so apart from two 6 hour overlaps a week, it could effectively be flown by one plane. AMS will actually free up more 77W hours because it has a daily 8 hour overlap.
      True, but how about BCN? My understanding is that BCN is served by 2 routes:

SQ 67/68 Direct then Sao Paulo
      SQ 367/368 Limited Stops via Milan

1x A350 can replace 1x B77W on SQ67/68, but I suspect SQ377/378 might also due for an upgrade as well that might free up 2 B77Ws at the end?

Further SQ has been indicating that A350 is more efficient and they want to deploy to Europe first. I suspect we might even see a split between Manchester and Munich with more A350s arriving.

Comment

• Originally posted by shikhargpt View Post

The winglet being fitted on another one of SQ's A350s. Any guesses for the MSN?
        It's most likely Msn 41 (SQ#5). She is currently in Station 40 where the wings are joined to the fuselage.

Comment

True, but how about BCN? My understanding is that BCN is served by 2 routes:

SQ 67/68 Direct then Sao Paulo
          SQ 367/368 Limited Stops via Milan

1x A350 can replace 1x B77W on SQ67/68, but I suspect SQ377/378 might also due for an upgrade as well that might free up 2 B77Ws at the end?

Further SQ has been indicating that A350 is more efficient and they want to deploy to Europe first. I suspect we might even see a split between Manchester and Munich with more A350s arriving.
          Certainly we might see a lot more A350 deployment to Europe, but as well as replacing 77W routes with A350 where the demand for F is fairly low, they also need to replace that ageing 772ER fleet serving the destinations that have next to no demand for F and patchier loads which might be more important to save fuel costs on.

This is why after all the hints about CPH from SQ themselves I was surprised to hear AMS would be the launch Euro destination. I can't see them wanting to move the 77W onto CPH, especially when talking about going daily to grow the partnership with CPH and stem the bleeding to the likes of EK when those current 772s are so old. I think though it also suggests that they have given up trying to fill an F cabin to AMS...

Comment

Certainly we might see a lot more A350 deployment to Europe, but as well as replacing 77W routes with A350 where the demand for F is fairly low, they also need to replace that ageing 772ER fleet serving the destinations that have next to no demand for F and patchier loads which might be more important to save fuel costs on.

This is why after all the hints about CPH from SQ themselves I was surprised to hear AMS would be the launch Euro destination. I can't see them wanting to move the 77W onto CPH, especially when talking about going daily to grow the partnership with CPH and stem the bleeding to the likes of EK when those current 772s are so old. I think though it also suggests that they have given up trying to fill an F cabin to AMS...
            don't think the 77W is going to CPH anytime..

Comment

I suspect we might even see a split between Manchester and Munich with more A350s arriving.
              As someone who flies out of MAN I hope they do!

Comment

• Msn 30 (SQ#2) entered the paint hanger today.

Comment

My speculation is that except LHR, FRA, CDG and ZRH, all B777-200ER and B777-300ERs to Europe will be replaced by A350-900 aircraft.

We should also see increase in CPH to daily with more A350-900 arrives and hopefully we will see some Limited Stops routes (such as MXP-BCN, MAN-MUC) will be split to Express routes (non-stop).

SQ has also indicated that they are interested to use A350 to open up some new routes. It might be a little early, but anyone have any idea of what they will launch?

My guess is:

Boston (via Europe) - Boston is an emerging destination with more and more European carriers (such as DY) going there, but has not been served by a lot of FSC yet. I suppose SQ can try doing AMS - BOS or CPH - BOS to beat DY and use the alliance with SK to feed European customers.

Boston is also the focus city of JetBlue, SQ's partner. As we know SQ dislikes UA, launching BOS will allow SQ to expand its partnership with B6 in the East Coast.

Vienna - Being in the Centre of Europe, and from the recent refugee crisis we can see Vienna is being the gateway between East and West Europe. SQ's partner OS has an extensive network from Vienna to Eastern Europe, Poland, Czech and the South Eastern Europe.

Vienna also has a very extensive rail network to neighbouring countries, especially to its north and east and south east. Railjet will soon establish a new station at Vienna Airport, this will help SQ to capture more O&D customers from rail to Singapore and through Singapore to Phuket, Bali, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Australia.

Seattle (via Hong Kong) - Seattle has a high Chinese customer base which will help traffic between HKG and SEA provided SQ get into alliance with HX to feed Chinese customers. This can be done by converting existing TZ slot at HKG to be operated by SQ. This will also help to cover the morning service gap between HKG - SIN.

Honolulu (Direct) - With the distance being 6711 miles and long ETOPS feature of A350-900, this might make HNL feasible should SQ gets into alliance with HA. Passengers will get immigration and customs clearance at HNL from a direct flight, then change for a domestic flight to other US destinations.

This can reduce SQ's risk to compete against other North Asian carriers for trans-pacific route.

Comment

Boston (via Europe) - Boston is an emerging destination with more and more European carriers (such as DY) going there, but has not been served by a lot of FSC yet. I suppose SQ can try doing AMS - BOS or CPH - BOS to beat DY and use the alliance with SK to feed European customers.
                    Think they would drop MAN from SQ328 and create a new route to the USA via MAN. They have the rights to operate such a flight with the UK government already.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                      Think they would drop MAN from SQ328 and create a new route to the USA via MAN. They have the rights to operate such a flight with the UK government already.
                      that would be amazing. can't wait

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                        BOS as Metropolitan Airlines mentioned would make sense. I wonder if there's enough O&D traffic at either end for it to be profitable... or what feed is available to SQ at MAN.

Comment

Seattle (via Hong Kong) - Seattle has a high Chinese customer base which will help traffic between HKG and SEA provided SQ get into alliance with HX to feed Chinese customers. This can be done by converting existing TZ slot at HKG to be operated by SQ. This will also help to cover the morning service gap between HKG - SIN.
                          I could see SEA working, but what I would do is put the 380 on the SFO via HKG SQ 1/2 and move the ICN 15/16 to SEA with the 359.

Comment

• Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
                            BOS as Metropolitan Airlines mentioned would make sense. I wonder if there's enough O&D traffic at either end for it to be profitable... or what feed is available to SQ at MAN.
                            I think to make Trans-atlantic profitable, you will need to fit more customers from both ends of the Atlantic Ocean. In the US side, B6 can feed customers into SQ well if they do co-operate. In Europe side, they will need a port where Star Alliance carriers presence is strong enough to feed them.

If BD didn't get eaten up by BA, MAN - BOS could be highly profitable, and even for now SQ will still able to obtain monopoly on this route. The only problem is, how's the market look like between MAN and BOS?

Comment

• Originally posted by ak333 View Post
                              I could see SEA working, but what I would do is put the 380 on the SFO via HKG SQ 1/2 and move the ICN 15/16 to SEA with the 359.
                              Honestly speaking, I think SQ in the long term should ditch USA via Japan and Korea and let other Star partners to do their job. Competing with another Star carriers make no help for Singapore Airlines to boast loading and yield.

On the other hand, for US West Coast routes, they should really consider co-operating with HNA group to acquire shares in Hong Kong Airlines. Hong Kong has no Star carriers there as a hub, and the only major competitor is Cathay Pacific.

We all know Singapore Airlines is far better than Cathay in terms of service, plus fairer fares in addition to a more generous Frequent Flyer programme. I am sure if SQ decides to use HK as the scissor hub for all services to US West Coast, this will hurt the CX very hard.

Currently CX has maintained about 80-90% loading for its Trans Pacific network consistently and Hong Kong Airline's long term goal is to launch services to the US. They have A350s on order until 2018 and they will need to raise funds for this. SQ can simply purchase 25 - 35% of Hong Kong Airlines and do what they did with Virgin Australia in terms of FFP (or even replace Fortune Wings Club with KrisFlyer directly) will enable them to join the Trans Pacific Club easily.

Comment

• Some tangentially related A350 news.

Airline sources say Airbus is exploring more seriously than before a larger version of its A350-1000 widebody jet with a capacity of up to 450 seats to counter the latest Boeing 777, probably powered by the next generation of "UltraFan" engines from Rolls-Royce.
                                Source

Qatar Airways Group chief executive Akbar Al Baker tells Flightglobal that he believes Airbus must develop a larger A350 to compete effectively with Boeing and his airline is a potential customer.

“We would be interested in a stretch of the A350-1000. Airbus has no alternative – to be competitive it will have to do something that is bigger and better than the 777-9X,” he says.

To achieve this, Al Baker says the A350 stretch will need to incorporate “new engine technology” and doubts that the twinjet’s existing Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engine could be adapted for the larger variant as the powerplant “is already at its fullest” for the A350-1000.
                                Source

Comment

Working...
                                X