Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York places to eat

post deleted
    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:28 AM.

It depends what you want by "good ambience and food" ? Buy a copy of (e.g.) Zagat and see what takes your fancy.

Speaking for myself, I just returned today from a long weekend in New York.

The seafood chef's tasting menu at Le Bernardin (which some people call the Temple of Seafood) was exquisite (plus I added some extra dishes from the carte). It has a stuffy French ambience though but the food was well worth the hassle I had of bringing along a jacket for the trip just to eat there! Top rated by the New York Times (4/4), Michelin (3/3) and Zagat (29/30 for food).

I also enjoyed lunch at Eleven Madison Park where I had their tasting menu where you choose for each of the courses, something from the choices like hamachi, radicchio, langoustine and foie gras; and tell them your likes and dislikes and they come up with something for you. Dinner is more elaborate but I had no time to try it again this occasion. It's not as stuffy as Le Bernardin but still rather formal (as expected for a restaurant of this calibre).

I'd be very happy to eat at both of them again!
    Last edited by jhm; 24 March 2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Here's my short writeup of the 13-course dinner tasting menu I had at Eleven Madison Park last year (which can take up to 4-5 hours but I managed it in 3 as I had an early flight the next morning):

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=290

Comment

What kind of food do your host (and you) like?

Speaking from personal experience, I really enjoyed Per Se (tasting menu), and Jean-Georges (both for lunch during a holiday there in 2008). Service wise- both were excellent (for example, no pushy waiters suggesting "still" or "sparkling") and price-wise, I thought lunch at JG was quite a bargain. Would love to go again. I hope you enjoy your trip to NYC and all the food there!

Comment

Originally posted by sqprincess View Post
          What kind of food do your host (and you) like?

Speaking from personal experience, I really enjoyed Per Se (tasting menu), and Jean-Georges (both for lunch during a holiday there in 2008). Service wise- both were excellent (for example, no pushy waiters suggesting "still" or "sparkling") and price-wise, I thought lunch at JG was quite a bargain. Would love to go again. I hope you enjoy your trip to NYC and all the food there!
          post deleted
          Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:38 AM.

Comment

SQtraveller,
            You're right about it not being easy to get a table. I called (from Singapore, b4 I left for my trip) and was put on a waiting list for lunch (which they only have on Fri to Sun if I'm not mistaken). They called back (when I was in NYC) to inform me that they had a table available for Fri lunch and fortunately, we could make it!

I know of friends who managed to eat there too so you should try
            (they do take your credit card details though when your table is confirmed and impose a fee if u cancel at the last minute or don't show up)

Comment

Working...
            X