BKK airport link - anyone tried this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BKK airport link - anyone tried this?

Has anyone tried taking the Skytrain and Airport link to and from Suvarnabhumi?

I'm wondering if it is as easy and hassle-free to use as HKG's Airport Express?

I've taken the Skytrain a couple of times before but not the Airport link. Do they even allow luggage on the SkyTrain?

Never used it, despite visiting Bangkok regularly.

It won't come as a surprise to many that it's somewhat of a cock-up, with the main Makasan City Terminal the express train goes to being linked to precisely ZERO other transport options. The day they opened the baggage check-in facility at Makasan a grand total of eleven people checked in a total of FOUR bags.

The closest option to Makasan is Phetchaburi MRT station but you have to exit Makasan and cross the main road to get there, a great idea in that heat and humidity when you are dragging luggage with you.....

The best options seems to be using the City Line rather than the Express and going to Phaya Thai where it finishes and get on the BTS from there, which it is linked to. You can take luggage on BTS/Skytrain.

I'll stick to the AOT limos.....

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      The day they opened the baggage check-in facility at Makasan a grand total of eleven people checked in a total of FOUR bags.

Comment

Welcome to Thailand... Sawasdee Krap....

mai pen rai,... jai yen yen...
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          Never used it, despite visiting Bangkok regularly.

It won't come as a surprise to many that it's somewhat of a cock-up, with the main Makasan City Terminal the express train goes to being linked to precisely ZERO other transport options. The day they opened the baggage check-in facility at Makasan a grand total of eleven people checked in a total of FOUR bags.

The closest option to Makasan is Phetchaburi MRT station but you have to exit Makasan and cross the main road to get there, a great idea in that heat and humidity when you are dragging luggage with you.....

The best options seems to be using the City Line rather than the Express and going to Phaya Thai where it finishes and get on the BTS from there, which it is linked to. You can take luggage on BTS/Skytrain.

I'll stick to the AOT limos.....
          Okay thanks for your reply! That saved me a lot of trouble!

Comment

Unless you are really on a tight budget I do not see the point in getting the airport train. I did from the airport to Sukhumvit road in 30 minutes tonight by Taxi and I would rather pay more for a door to door service than have to lug my luggage around the BTS

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
              Unless you are really on a tight budget I do not see the point in getting the airport train. I did from the airport to Sukhumvit road in 30 minutes tonight by Taxi and I would rather pay more for a door to door service than have to lug my luggage around the BTS
              I did Pullman over CNY and had to drag wifey and two luggages over from the City Line to the BTS station. Fair enought that the stations were close and on the same level but to get to the BTS platform, there are no escalators or lifts.

You can figure what I took to Suvarnabhumi from Pullman on the return

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                I believe the Airport Link costs at least THB150 to Makasan + fare on the BTS to my hotel.

I just found out that car service (taxi, limousine, etc.) should cost around THB250 to THB300? That's what my folks paid from Pratunam area to Suvarnabhumi about one or two years ago, I think.

So I think the car service should be okay. (I previously thought it would set me back upwards of THB700).

Comment

Originally posted by fuu99 View Post
                  I believe the Airport Link costs at least THB150 to Makasan + fare on the BTS to my hotel.

I just found out that car service (taxi, limousine, etc.) should cost around THB250 to THB300? That's what my folks paid from Pratunam area to Suvarnabhumi about one or two years ago, I think.

So I think the car service should be okay. (I previously thought it would set me back upwards of THB700).
                  Normal taxi from Pratunam to airport should be about 380 to 400 baht and takes about 30 to 45 minutes without jam

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                    Normal taxi from Pratunam to airport should be about 380 to 400 baht and takes about 30 to 45 minutes without jam
                    Thanks for the info!

That rate should be acceptable. By the way, is tipping compulsory?

Comment

I called up my hotel today and asked if they have an airport shuttle. They offered to pick me up with a BMW for THB2,200. The cheaper alternative they have is a minivan for THB2,000.

They advised me that a taxi should be below THB500 though.

Comment

I called up my hotel today and asked if they have an airport shuttle. They offered to pick me up with a BMW for THB2,200. The cheaper alternative they have is a minivan for THB2,000.

They advised me that a taxi should be below THB500 though.
                        If I remember correctly, limo service operated by AOT is about 1,000 to 1,200 baht.
                        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

AOT have the Isuzu MU7 for THB 950, with a discount of 25% on the return if booked to gether, so they will charge THB 1650 for a return to any of the central (Sukhumvit, Silom...) Hotels and a bit more for the other side of the river. The return must be from the same drop-off point.

During the protests they had 50% off the return and the rumour was they would offer that again now the trains are running, but it's still just 25%. Still my preferred method of transport from and to Suvarnabhumi.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

That rate should be acceptable. By the way, is tipping compulsory?
                            I did not tip and i don't remember the driver explicitly asking for it.

Comment

From airport to hotel. It is safe and tips is not required. Mostly below 500b. From Hotel to airport, it depend on hotel. If you can, try to take those pink color taxi. Some other has meter link to some "switch". The meter runs like crazy if you do not pick a fix price taxi fair.

Comment

Working...
                              X