SQ to Vietnam: Pho in Saigon, River Boat to the Cu Chi Tunnels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
    Beautiful! Time to revisit Saigon I think. Thanks for sharing!
    You're welcome, 9V-SIA! Yes, not a bad time to visit...

Comment

Four days went by quickly. Before we knew it, we were headed to the airport for our flight back to Singapore…

Modern departure area with flowing roof…

The SQ check-in area…

Very short queues at immigration and security.

Spacious, airy, airside area…

SGN looked to be a very well served airport, we spotted TK, CX and many other international airlines…

Decent airside shopping…

Including weasel coffee (pass!)…

Comment

There was no dedicated lounge, but as KF Gold, we had a choice of lounge benefits…

The spa option looked intriguing, but we decided to opt for the lounge…

The designated lounge, Le Saigonnaise (Pictured below) was full...

...so we were directed to an alternative lounge at the far end of the terminal, the Rose CIP Lounge…

This turned out to be a very nice lounge…

The Rose Lounge was spacious, and not very crowded…

With a very good F&B selection…

Wine and liquor…

Some of the food selections…

Congee with condiments…

Last edited by yflyer; 7 December 2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Vietnamese/Asian selections…

Western selections…

Overall, the Rose CIP Lounge looked to be a very comfortable lounge to spend time…

Apart from the Lounge, arirside dining options included Burger King…

And several other restaurant/bar outlets…

This was not an airport where you would go hungry, or thirsty!

Comment

Our flight home on Singapore Airlines was operated by Boeing 777-200 series, rego 9V-SQL. This was one of the oldest aircraft in SQ's fleet, first flown 16 years ago, in 2003. This aircraft recently left the SQ fleet, in December 2019.

Newspapers at the gate…

Welcome at the door…

This aircraft had the older regional J seat, in 2-2-2…

And refurbished Y in 3-3-3…

Bathrooms still in decent condition…

The Y seats were fine. They did not have the most comfortable cushioning, but they were very wide when compared to Y seats on 9-abreast 787's or 10-abreast 777's.

Very large IFE box under the D seat. (Thank goodness technology has advanced to the point where inflight IFE no longer requires such a large electronics footprint)…

A similar box was under the H aisle seat.

Good recline…

Last edited by yflyer; 8 December 2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Hot towel prior to take-off…

Dinner was served on this flight. Two choices for dinner: chicken with rice, or fish with potatoes.

The Asian selection…

This was tasty…

So was the western selection, fish with potatoes...

IFE was on an old 4:3 screen. Not great, but then this was a very short flight, under 2 hours in duration…

Typical smooth 777 landing in Singapore, after this short 2 hour flight.

No immigration queues upon arrival in T3 that evening...

Overall, a good flight. Although this was one of the oldest planes in the fleet, with an old cabin product, the cabin was comfortable and well maintained. Service and catering were up to SQ's high standards.

I love flying SQ's new aircraft types like the A350 and 787, however I will just be a little sad when all the 1st gen 772's and 773's leave the SQ fleet. I've been flying Boeing 777's since they were introduced to SQ's fleet and still have fond memories of flying these sturdy, reliable and comfortable aircraft to destinations such as KUL, JKT, PVG and SYD.

Comment

Final reflections...

To date, I have only visited Hanoi and Saigon -- two very different cities and both enjoyable to visit in their own way.

In Saigon we enjoyed the experience of seeing old traditions side by side with modern Saigon...

There were constant reminders of a tumultous period in recent history...

This is a period that the country is only recently emerging from, as this country moves rapidly towards the future.

I've still got to find my way to other places in Vietnam, such as Hue, the capital city of Vietnam in ancient times, or the scenic Ha Long Bay. I'll probably be heading to Vietnam again in future on business trips, as there is so much happening there, work-wise, but I also hope to have the opportunity to visit again for holiday. And when I do go, I am sure things will have changed compared to my last trip -- things are moving very quickly.

Thanks for reading!
                Last edited by yflyer; 15 December 2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the review.

I used to go here very often in the past. Much lesser lately. It always amazes me how the place can transform so fast in just 1-2 years. Skyscrappers shoot out of nowhere, many of those towers you captured were not there just 3-4 years back. Incredible.

The Le Saigonnais lounge looks really good (design-wise). It seems new whereas the Rose Lounge, I had used it many times.

Now you make me miss those stuffed snails! so juicy and meaty.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                    Thank you for the review.
                    Welcome, SQueeze!

I used to go here very often in the past. Much lesser lately. It always amazes me how the place can transform so fast in just 1-2 years. Skyscrappers shoot out of nowhere, many of those towers you captured were not there just 3-4 years back. Incredible.
                    Yes, I found the skyline quite impressive -- more impressive than Hanoi. Hope they retain the charm of old Saigon too, like the famous cafe apartments, and not try to replace it with something modern but charmless.

Now you make me miss those stuffed snails! so juicy and meaty.
                    So much good food there! At decent prices too!

Comment

Working...
                    X