Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
    Not forgetting the absence of 9V-SKO
    Actually, along the lines of aircraft registrations, then the letter X can be considered a real taboo then - don’t think there is any SQ aircraft registrations that ends with the letter X, i.e. no STX, no SWX, no SMX, no SKX, etc...?

Comment

The only feng shui that ive heard of is SQ not painting their star alliance planes in black.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
        Actually, along the lines of aircraft registrations, then the letter X can be considered a real taboo then - don’t think there is any SQ aircraft registrations that ends with the letter X, i.e. no STX, no SWX, no SMX, no SKX, etc...?
        Scoot has 9V-TAX and 9V-TRX but yes you’re right - SIA always skips the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
          The only feng shui that ive heard of is SQ not painting their star alliance planes in black.
          Along with painting the remaining tropical rainbow livery plane into normal livery immediately after SQ6 crash.

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
            While we are at it, only the Boeings had major accidents/incidents in the SQ group. MI185 B733, SQ006 B744 and the latest was the engine fire on the B77W from MXP. Hmm, SQ is not so lucky with Boeings as well
            You didn’t read the initial post carefully enough: if you are in a managerial position and something goes wrong, just blame it on bad Feng Shui.

I spoke to a very senior person at SIA last week and she confirmed that management is aware that the accidents with Boeing aircrafts came from bad Feng Shui.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
              Wasn’t there supposedly an A310 that “lost control” over the Bay of Bengal in the 1990s?
              Not sure about this one, but I have heard that there was an SQ A343 which lost control over Australia around the same time.

Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
              Only for five years (1978-1983). The DC-10s were used to launch the first SIA passenger service to the USA in 1979 (LAX), but those routes later shifted to the 747-200.
              The launch was commemorated on at least one of the DC-10 with "California here we come" titles.

After the 747-200, the service to LAX changed to the 743 in 1983/4, then 744 in 1993.

Comment

There was also a Learjet 31 (9V-ATD) that crashed on July 21, 1997; in which 2 people (the instructor and cadet) were killed.

https://www.flightglobal.com/crash-w...d/5475.article

An A310-300 overran the runway in Kuching on January 29, 2000.

https://www.flightglobal.com/sia-overrun/30527.article
                Last edited by 9V-SPL; 28 March 2020, 06:27 PM.
                Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                  Not sure about this one, but I have heard that there was an SQ A343 which lost control over Australia around the same time.
                  Didn't know about this incident, thanks for your information. https://www.flightglobal.com/airbus-...nt/992.article

Comment

Wasn’t there supposedly an A310 that “lost control” over the Bay of Bengal in the 1990s?
                    Yes, 9V-STO was the aircraft involved. From airliners.net archive: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172223

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post

The launch was commemorated on at least one of the DC-10 with "California here we come" titles.

After the 747-200, the service to LAX changed to the 743 in 1983/4, then 744 in 1993.
                      May be a bit OT, but I thought the DC-10 was used by SIA to launch their inaugural route to California (hence the sticker on 9V-SDB), but to SFO first rather than LAX...? That could explain why SIN-HKG-SFO had the SQ2/1 flight number pair?

Comment

Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
                        May be a bit OT, but I thought the DC-10 was used by SIA to launch their inaugural route to California (hence the sticker on 9V-SDB), but to SFO first rather than LAX...? That could explain why SIN-HKG-SFO had the SQ2/1 flight number pair?
                        I think you’re right actually, it was 9V-SDB that operated the inaugural to SFO, not LAX, on 4th April 1979.

The “California here we come” stickers also appeared on a B727 and B747 to promote the new service, even though a DC-10 was used.

Comment

The DC-10-30 aircraft had to make a techincal stop in Honalulu due to its limited range.
                          Last edited by flyguy; 29 March 2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
                            I think you’re right actually, it was 9V-SDB that operated the inaugural to SFO, not LAX, on 4th April 1979.

The “California here we come” stickers also appeared on a B727 and B747 to promote the new service, even though a DC-10 was used.
                            Oh OK thanks @MainlyMiles - didn't realise the "California here we come" sticker also appeared on the 727 and 747. I can understand the 747 as those would have been deployed to SQ's (then) long haul destinations but certainly didn't expect that it would have appeared on the 727...

Comment

Also there was a A380 incident result in plane landing somewhere else before reaching Singapore.
                              Not to forget those issues related to RR engines with A380 and the 787-10.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                                Also there was a A380 incident result in plane landing somewhere else before reaching Singapore.
                                Not to forget those issues related to RR engines with A380 and the 787-10.
                                Yes, the A380 from LHR to SIN had to make an emergency landing at Azerbaijan due to a "leaking" loud noise from one of the door. The plane was AOGed for a few days and SQ had to send a A380 rescue plane to bring the pax back.

Comment

Working...
                                X