Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ Capital Express Inaugural SIN-CBR-WLG-CBR in J

Singapore Airlines “Capital Express” Inaugural SIN-CBR-WLG-CBR

Singapore Airlines is one of the few airlines, which treat inaugural flights as special occasions. Who can forget about Singapore Airlines’ first A380 commercial flight, as well as multiple A380 firsts towards multiple destinations, as well as the “747 Farewell” flights? I still recalled my Singapore Airlines’ first A380 flight to Tokyo Narita, which was diverted to Nagoya, and the wonderful mandarin duck gift bag in business class. When Singapore Airlines announced this interesting “Capital Express” flight linking Singapore with the two capitals in Australia and New Zealand, I was interested in giving it a try. I had debated multiple times, as the fares are quite high, and of course, the late departure time will guarantee the dreaded “sleeper service” flight, which is truly as bad as it sounds, and I almost feel the embarrassment of the F/A asking if business class passengers want supper OR breakfast. I got more food on the three hours Trans-Tasman segments than the seven hours segments. Most importantly, Singapore Airlines not only employ the regional business class seats, which is okay with me, but those slightly older Boeing 777-200ERs with the old entertainment system. I also feel that this will be a perfect A350 flight, but not sure if the short runway at Wellington dictates some of these decisions. In the end, I decided to fly one way from SIN to WLG via CBR and coming back to CBR from WLG, so I will get three inaugural flights. Doing all four segments seem a bit much, even in business class. I actually felt that Wellington threw the best party out of all three segments that I took, but Canberra shared the most excitement, as this Singapore Airlines’ new service will be the only airline using these nice international facilities. I am still a bit surprised that there is no nonstop service between Canberra and Auckland, and the economics of A320 should work. Anyway, here is the full report.

Photo link to the full album for those who don’t want to read: Please be warned about this huge photo album!
    http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ca...pressInaugural

September 20, 2016
    SQ 291 Singapore Changi to Canberra International Lv2300 Arr0835+1 Boeing 777-200ER 9V-SRP

I arrived from Bangkok around 7pm and I stopped by gate B8 first.

9V-SRL to Singapore – this travel day begins and ends with Singapore Airlines’ Boeing 777-200ER

The staffs were already setting up the gate, and I have already spotted 9V-SRP being parked at gate, after arriving from Tokyo Haneda around 5pm.

Then I proceeded to the Silver Kris lounge, which was fairly busy as it was during the first wave of flights heading “Down Under” and the last wave to other Asian destinations. I am not going to write too much about it, but Singapore Airlines really needs to play catch-up games in terms of lounges, especially in the Asian-Pacific regions. Cathay Pacific can’t even compared to SQ these days, but in terms of lounges, CX is league ahead especially in the home base.

I noted some Capital Express designed dishes and actually loved the carrot based seafood soup.

I went back to gate B8 around 8:50pm, and have already noted a loud Mainland tourist group, who was getting anxious about getting inside the gate, as they had already spotted the buffet. Many of them regretted eating earlier (as I presume out of their own pockets), and at Canberra, I found out that there was a group of 80 Mainland Chinese tourists visiting Canberra. The gate was finally opened around 9pm, and it was a struggle to get into the lounge. Two Singapore Airlines girls were greeting passengers after they went through security, and two other Singapore Airlines girls were stationed in two different booths, which were basically the ambassadors today and taking pictures with passengers. Two SQ staffs were snapping Polaroid for passengers.

DJ

Waiters and waitresses were going around the room constantly with water, juices, and champagne. There was a beverage station featuring sodas, hot drinks, and champagne.

There was a buffet featuring the usual Asian and Western dishes. I personally like the chicken satays, as well as the min shepherd pies, as well as the desserts. It was nothing fancy but a decent spread.

Mini Shepherd pies

Desserts

Then there were the usual formal speeches by officials from Singapore Airlines, high Commissioners from Australia and New Zealand, along with a ribbon cutting ceremony.

Comment

Then a singing group formed by Singapore Airlines F/As performed a few songs, and then there was a game show between the host and the audiences.

However, I had one major complaint, which was the lack of air conditioning in the gate. I guess it would be okay normally without the crowd, but when the speeches continued, the room was worst. I felt bad for the guests and performers, who were wearing suits. Someone has not given me too many thoughts or reminded the airport authority to turn up the air conditioning.

Pilots boarding

Then I saw two F/As standing by the entrance and there were tons of gift bags. Some of the Mainland Chinese passengers tried to grab the bag, and thankfully, one of the girls spoke mandarin and told them they would get them, as they would board the flight. Those girls handled the situation gracefully. Sometimes you got to give credits to SQ for how they trained their front line staffs.

(No need to worry… there were plenty of gift bags for everyone!)

The gift bag was a bit disappointing with only one notebook with some recognition of this inaugural, along with a baggage tag (regular one with no mention of the inaugural except that leaflet on top). However, the first to fly certificate was still here. I guess they don’t really have too many sponsors for these less exciting flights.

Comment

9V-SRP

Boarding began at 10:26pm and I was among the first one to board and managed to get a few pictures.

First Business Class cabin

Second Business Class cabin

My choice: 17K – I was a bit worried about the window situation, but I still had two full windows, so I was happy.
        I picked these same seats for all three flights, because I like being in the bulkhead window seats, so I could at least get out of my seat in the middle of the night easily.

Comment

Economy Class cabin behind business class

The service was the best on this segment, and all the F/As were cheerful and efficient, despite the late hours. They were definitely some of the best among the SQ rank. They would get a serious test later in the flight, which they showed nothing but professionalism and cares.

The menu – Special “Capital Express” recognition, but not sure about special dishes, as the menu itself looks fairly typical… As expected, the abbreviated “sleeper service” was offered. I did not realize that I managed to avoid the sleeper service till now, so I did not make the right decision when I chose to have the supper. My original strategy was to have the supper, which was a Hokkien noodle soup that I pre-ordered, and then slept till landing, so I could have energy for the long day ahead. But things did not work out that way.

SQ Drinks of the Month

Door was closed at 10:50pm and the F/As took all the meal orders after the safety demonstration was completed. As expected, business class was 100% full and most of the seats were given to the media team from Australia and New Zealand news media team. I sat next to a NZ Herald reporter.

We pushed back on time at 11pm and following an Air France’s Boeing 777-300ER F-GSQF, we took off from R/W20C at 11:12pm for our six hours and fifty-six minutes flight to Canberra. The routing took us towards Batam and we climbed to 37,000ft as we passed Java Sea. Then we headed towards Sumener and Denpasar before climbing to 39,000ft. We entered Australia by passing the city of Derby and Curtin Airport, and then towards Alice Springs and its airport, before reaching 41,000ft. We then passed cities of Tibooburra and Cubba before reaching Canberra.

After takeoff, the F/As passed out amenities, such as slippers (which were super nice), socks, and eyeshades. These amenities are available on all three segments.

Other than a little bit of media activity, things were relatively quiet. Some of the media shot some videos of SIA F/As working, as well as conducing a few interviews before going to sleep. Many passengers went straight to sleep after a quick beverage and mixed nuts service.

Comment

Here is the wine list for all four Capital Express segments!

Wine List
            Champagne
            Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve, Champagne, France

White Wines
            2014 Selbach Riesling Kabinett Feinherb, Mosel, Germay
            2014 Devil’s Lair Hidden Cave, Margaret River, Australia

Red Wines
            2012 Chateau Belle-Vue Cru Bourgeois Haut Medoc, Bordeaux, France
            2013 Robert Oatley Shiraz, McLarren Vale, Australia

Port
            Dow’s Ten-Year-Old Tawny Port, Portugal

Here is the menu for this segment!
            Sleeper Service
            Main Course
            *Beef Hor Fun
            Chinese style work-fried rice noodles with beef and gravy
            A popular local fare dish

*Roasted Chicken Breast
            With apricot and pistachio sausage, green peas, chicken veloute
            Exclusively created by Matt Moran of Aria Restaurant, Sydney

Griddled Chocolate Chip Pancakes
            With wild cherry compote, honey and ricotta cheese

American Breakfast
            Crepe with scrambled eggs, pan-fried pork sausage
            Marinated tomato, sautéed mushrooms and roasted potatoes
            Bread Selection with preserves and yogurt

Continental Breakfast
            Assorted Breads with preserves

Fruit
            Selection of sliced fresh fruits

From the Bakery
            Assorted Bread Rolls and Breakfast Pastries
            Served with butter and fruit preserve

Hot Beverage
            Coffee and Tea
            A wide selection of flavors is available in the beverage section
            SQ291 (CMJ-LZJ)-3.1 JCL

The menu was really confusing but I did not realize that the supper service came with no side dishes, fruit or dessert. You were just served your choice of main courses, and there were no breads or fruit bowls.

I did the “Book the Cook” and enjoyed my Prawn Noodle Soup, but could really use a bowl of fruit or a small dessert.

I went to sleep after the supper service, and we hit a couple bumps as we headed towards the equator and passing Indonesia, but things smoothed out once we entered the Australian air space. I did not have a deep sleep, but took naps in between bumps.

Since it was a long segment, I manage to ask the whole team of F/As, as well as the very handsome first officer to sign my inaugural certificate. I wanted to do the same for the other two segments, but those flights featured a full meal service and they were busier.

Since we were on the topic of F/As, I overhead a conversation between a reporter and a F/A regarding their crew patterns. I was surprised to hear that they had a different set of crews working on each segment. The F/As would have two nights at Canberra before heading to Wellington with one quick night, and then another two nights before going to Singapore. It was like an eight-day trip for the crews. This might have to do with the facts that the flights did not operate daily, but the F/As could not work a same day turnaround between CBR and WLG, due to the long turnaround time at CBR. Anyway, the service was top notch, as the crews were well rested.

Sunrising

Around 4:30am Singaporean local time/6:30am Canberra local time, the F/As switched on all the lights. I was not expecting that, as I presume it would be a more discrete breakfast service. It turned out to be a full two-course breakfast service. As I did not have my eyeshades on, I woke up to the light and could not fall asleep again. Then something happened…

After the usual hot towel and juice rounds, one of the colleagues of my neighbor suddenly fainted and passed out near my neighbor, as he was heading to the toilet. In the beginning, I was not sure what was going on, as I was quite abruptly awaken too. Soon things went pretty bad, as this poor guy continued to go between passing out and waking up. The leading F/As were immediately called and a male F/A was immediately assisting the guy to the seat next to me, and the high ranking female F/As immediately came to assist. They offered professional advice, but at the same time, they were comforting him, as he was quite embarrassed and having a panic attack. They called for a doctor, which thankfully there was one sitting in the first J cabin. Things looked pretty bad and so I just grabbed a few things and moved out from my seat so the doctor and the F/As could assist him. The other F/As went on with the breakfast service and other J passengers were not aware of the drama behind. The F/A serving my aisle immediately offered me a jump seat, and even offered me a continental breakfast, but I declined. There were plenty of foods ahead. It was an interesting experience, as the SQ F/As were so organized that everyone knew what they were doing. The leading F/As were helping with the sick passengers, while the rest of the F/As continued their meal service. When someone ever said that F/As from Asian Airlines only knew service, I would tell them “no” and they were very professional and obviously knew where all the equipments were. The pilot even came out to check on the sick passenger, and also determined what services to call upon arrival. The doctor finally administered a drip while we began our descent. My neighbor sat next to him and I moved to his seat in the back. Things worked out well. I hope Singapore Airlines will send a thank you gift to the doctor, and the F/As were simply amazing. They were nothing but top notch. Being safe does not mean you have to compromise your service standard. But I felt bad for one of the female F/As, as she basically had to write up a long report.

Here is the news link:
            http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti...ectid=11713998

Back to the flight

Pralines/Truffles were passed out after descent began at 7:29am local time.

Weather was bad throughout the day at Canberra and we landed on a very wet R/W35 at 8:08am.
            Did you spot all the enthusiasts waiting for our arrival?

Comment

Pictures for next day’s The Canberra Times feature a much better landing shot

Link to news
              http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...21-grkwm7.html
              http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-2...nberra/7863774

Video
              https://www.facebook.com/singaporeai...4566661593679/

Despite of the rain, we got a water canon salute and at least I managed a few good pictures!

We parked at gate 5, which is the designated international gate for now. It can convert to domestic use, as the international departure lounge is located upstairs and arriving passengers go downstairs to the new immigration and custom area. We arrived at gate 5 at 8:17am but were being held in the flight for obvious reasons. The paramedics immediately boarded the flight and examined the patient. They need to make sure that it was not something contagious before letting everybody off. It took a while too, as it was also their first day of operation. There was also some quarantine issues.

Anyway, the Singapore Airlines’ Canberra finally gave us a welcome after everything was resolved. Transit passengers were told just to take the escalator to upstairs departure lounge. Business class passengers were entitled to one free beverage and one free snack item from the bar/café and just showed your boarding pass. Today was obviously different, as there was a full continental breakfast buffet along with champagne and free non-alcoholic drinks. Here is the menu of the café in the morning.

Comment

As we deplaned, there were a local Aboriginal group performing.

I knew arriving passengers received more greeting as they excited from custom hall, including flowers from the Floral Society, as well as some music performances by local youngsters.

The new international departure lounge was nice, but the plan for SQ to setup a premium area for business class passengers did not go through, but I saw that they saved a lounge space for SQ. If the service goes well and moves to a daily flight, they will have the options to set up a real lounge and I am sure that there will be a call for SQ to setup a real lounge.

I love the modern touch of Canberra Airport design.

Many sitting areas

The sole bar/café

Comment

The only shop – duty free

The atmosphere at Canberra was really enthusiastic and you can really tell how important this flight is for many of them, especially those worked behind the scene.

Buffet

Musical performance

Comment

There was a nice ribbon cutting ceremony and the one standing in the left, Terry Snow, was the one, who upgraded this airport and fought for a real international flight. He is the executive chairman of the Capital Airport Group, and is responsible for the redevelopment of the new terminal for Canberra Airport, which is beautiful and is one of my favorite airports in the world. He was on this inaugural flight from Singapore to Canberra.
                    (His wiki bio - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Snow!)
                    SQ Executive Vice President Mak Swee Wah in the middle
                    ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr on the right

New crew for this segment

Gate 5 – only international gate

September 21, 2016
                    SQ 291 Canberra to Wellington Lv0950 Arr1505 Boeing 777-200ER 9V-SRP

Boarding was delayed because of the situation earlier that morning, and they needed to replace all the oxygen tanks and equipments. We began boarding at 9:32am, and the load was a bit lighter, but still very full. However I believe this leg had the least passengers out of all the four segments I flew.

Friendly airport staffs were passing out first flight certificate along with a really nice silver proof coin. I think only business class passengers got the coins and economy class passengers got something else.

Here is the picture of the coin:

Comment

As my neighbor returned, he remarked how clean the plane was, and there was no sign on what had happened just a few hours ago. He told me that his friend would stay here at Canberra and would not fly till he felt better. Knowing SIA, they would definitely take good care of him. (As the sick passenger joked upon our arrival in Canberra, he managed to get a picture taken with the pilot. Yes the pilot came to check on the passenger after we landed in Canberra.)

In Canberra and Wellington, please note that they only used door one for departure and arrival. The F/As still managed to pass out juices to business class passengers. Door was closed at 9:55am and a different set of crews welcomed us onboard. Flight time was two hours and forty-five minutes only, so we still landed early at Wellington. We pushed back at 9:59am and the awful rain would not let go. We took off from R/W35 at 10:12am and our routing took us directly over the Tasman Sea at 39,000ft. There was a bit of turbulence after takeoff, so service was the most rushed on this segment, due to the late start. Thankfully things smoothed out after we exited the Australian coast.

As I said earlier, I got more meal services on this segment than the previous over-water segment. Singapore Airlines called it a light lunch, but it was almost a full lunch service. Starter was served with salad dressing poured on top by the F/A using a silver bowl. Main Course was not individually-platted but was served separately. There was a separate cheese plate and dessert course, and you were expected to have both items.

Menu
                      Light Lunch
                      Appetizer
                      Salad of Colossal Crab
                      Served with mango, baby spinach and citrus dressing

Main Course
                      *Pork Belly Stew with Chorizo Sausage, Chickpea and Tomato
                      Served with warm quinoa
                      Exclusively created by Matt Moran of Aria Restaurant, Sydney
                      Or
                      Local Grass Fed Beef Fillet in Mustard-Herb Crust with Red Wine Sauce
                      Braised red cabbage with bacon, green beans and roasted potatoes

Comment

Or
                        Grilled Chicken with Singapore Style Chili Sauce
                        Stir-fried vegetables medley and steamed Jasmine rice

Dessert
                        Belgian Chocolate Mousse Cake

Cheese & Fruit
                        Assorted Cheese & Fruit
                        White Savourine Log, Maffra Red Wax Cheddar and Tarwin Blue with fruits and garnishes

From the Bakery
                        Assorted Bread rolls and Gourmet Bread
                        With butter or flavored virgin olive oil

Hot Beverage
                        Coffee and Tea
                        A wide selection of flavors is available in the beverage section
                        SQ 291 (CMJ-LZJ)-3.1 JCL

The crab starter was wonderful and everything tasted fresh. I had the beef fillet, which was delicious; despite I was not a fan of the crust. I gave high marks to the Canberra catering kitchen.

Approaching New Zealand coastline – Kahurangi National Park

Since Wellington international airport was located closed to its CBD, we had a very scenic approach. Descent began at 2:25pm local time. Thankfully Wellington International Airport featured better weather – still cloudy but no rain. Since we had a unique welcome at Wellington, rain would ruin many of the planned activities.

Approaching WLG

Comment

We landed on R/W16 at 2:57pm and yes the landing was exciting, especially it had a rather short runway with limited spaces. Our 777 felt so huge in this regional airport. There was a water canon salute again. I never got tired of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY2n...ature=youtu.be

Water canon

Then we spotted the huge media team welcoming us.

Comment

We parked at spot 23 and instead of jetway, stairs were rolled out to our planes. The SIA manager was among the first to exit, as ACT Chief Minister Barr and SQ Executive VP Mak were part of the welcoming ceremony. The media and the two Singapore Airlines’ F/As (non-working on this flight but as PR) also exited the plane first. We were welcomed to take a look at the ceremony and took a few pictures, but could not walk into the media and guests zone due to immigration issues.

I took a few pictures of the Boeing 777 first! It was not your typical day and I knew no one would yell at me.

Then I took a few pictures of the performances. We were then chased into the immigration area.

There was another welcome booth featuring three models in futuristic outfits, and got a Whittaker’s chocolate welcome coupon. We got chocolate after we exited from the custom hall.

Comment

I used the smart gate so things went smoother. The NZ custom officers asked many questions but this time, they did not really roll their eyes when I told them I was going back to Canberra right the way. Half of the J cabins went back to Canberra.

Wellington Airport
                              With a five hours transit time, I spent the first two hours walking around and eventually settling in the nice food court looking at planes.

Singapore Airlines had a private event and I snapped a few pictures.

September 21, 2016
                              SQ 292 Wellington to Canberra Lv2015 Arr2205 Boeing 777-200ER 9V-SRP

Singapore Airlines’ check in counters are located next to Jetstar and opened three hours prior to departure. The staffs were pretty efficient given that it was their first day of operation. I had a feeling that they might move a few staff from AKL and CHC to help out. I was the first J passenger to get checked in and suddenly I realized that I forgot to transfer my electronic visa from my old passport to new passport. The agent said “no worry” and there was someone from the Australian Consulate to help. I then moved to their service desk and this really nice girl, Angela, tried to help out, but in the end, I had to get a new one, which took five minutes and AUD$20. Things worked out in the end.

SQ’s Check-in area

Comment

Working...
                              X