HKG Culinary Weekend on ScootBiz & SQ New Business Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HKG Culinary Weekend on ScootBiz & SQ New Business Class

With the recent long weekend holiday in Singapore, I made use of it plus an additional day of leave to go on a 4-days weekend trip to Hong Kong. Took the red-eye Scoot flight up and return on SQ.

Check-in for the 0155am flight at Terminal 2 was quick as I was flying ScootBiz. The regular counters had long snaking queues due to lots of others like me heading off for long weekend holidays.

Scoot's boarding pass is now just in plain white.

Headed airside. MI planes resting for the night.

Views of the Dreamliner that would be operating the red-eye to Hong Kong.

We would be departing from Gate E20. The gate was, expectedly, fully-packed.

09 September 2016
    Scoot
    TZ 322
    Singapore (SIN) - Hong Kong (HKG)
    B787-9
    9V-OJB 'Barry'
    ScootBiz
    Flight Time: 3H21M

Boarding was soon announced with ScootBiz and passengers who purchased priority boarding to board ahead.

Boarding 'Barry'.

Welcomed by the cheerful Scooties (what Scoot calls their cabin crew) and proceeded to by seat at the last row of ScootBiz.

As reviewed before, ScootBiz's seat is a basic recliner with legrest, comparable to Premium Economy seats. Legroom is sufficient.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

ScootBiz was only half full, while I believe Economy was almost totally full.

Welcome drinks of a cup of water was handed out.

Inflight magazines and some of the selection of ScooTV.

Aerobridge retracted.

Doors closed, manual safety demo done and we started the taxi to the runway. Flight time would be 3hr20min.

Departure from Rwy20C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R86-iRfzrck

Some nice night lights of Singapore while we made a turn during the climb.

Seat belt signs were switched off, and cabin lights were turned on for the meal service in ScootBiz. Meal orders were earlier taken while on the ground.

My Travel Map

Comment

Being such a late flight, I only ordered a ham with cheese croissant meal. It came with a bar of chocolate and a choice of drink, which I had a Coco water. The croissant was served warm and decent enough.

After the meal service was completed in about half hour, cabin lights was switched off till descending into Hong Kong. Managed to catch about 2hrs of nap on the more comfortable ScootBiz seat.

Landing in Hong Kong Rwy07L, 15min ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98l3wpeJsNY

View of my seat before disembarkation.

Only Door2L was used for disembarkation and so we had to disembark behind the Scoot-in-Silence economy pax. View of the regular seats.

View of 'Barry'.

Flying in ScootBiz is definitely a better experience comfort wise than normal economy seats, and made the brutal red-eye a bit more bearable. Service was fine and meal was decent at best, but for the ticket price, definitely no complaints.

Immigration was a bit of wait due to lack of open counters so early in the morning and luggage was available immediately at the belts (30kg included in the ScootBiz fare). It was only a swift 45min bus ride to Jordan, Kowloon, where I would be staying for the trip at Eaton Hotel.

Brunch of noodles at a eatery, Nathan Congee and Noodles, just behind the hotel.

One Dim Sum in Prince Edward for an early dinner.

Famous silky milk custard dessert at Yee Shun Milk Company.

A bit of sight-seeing:

Jade Market

Temple Street's bustling morning market

Wong Tai Sin temple to pray for good health, life and fortune.

My Travel Map

Comment

Simple lunch at Cui Hwa HK café

Colourful and delicious yam and milk mix drink.

Very popular Cheong Fun (rice rolls) stall at Sham Sui Po with long queues.

Roast goose with noodles at Guangdong Restaurant.

My favourite HK dessert place at Jordan! All the desserts were superb, specially the pastes and riceballs with ginger soup!

More dimsum on the 3rd day, this time at Ding Dim in SheungWan.

Crossing the Victoria Harbour

My Travel Map

Comment

It was a cheap and short ride on the Star Ferry across from WanChai to Tsim Sa Tsui, with magnificent views of the harbour.

Dinner at Chuen Moon Kee restaurant, famous for its claypot rice.

And again, more desserts!

Went early on the final day to Sing Heung Yuen at SheungWan for the famous tomato noodles. Simple but comforting and delightful dish.

Mui Kee Congee at Mongkok market for lunch.

Wrapping up with a final dessert, again at Kai Kai Dessert.

Took the airport bus back to HKIA, which was a 1hr ride away and arrived about 2hrs prior to STD. Checked in at the SQ counters, which were not crowded despite the full flight. Was offered check-in at the First counter as it was empty at the time. Check-in was very efficient, but felt just lacked a bit of personal touch, especially since it was supposed to be the premium counter.

Through immigration and security to the air-side. A quick shot of LH A380 at the gate.

First stop was the Silver Kris Lounge, which is conveniently located near Gate 15.

Bar area.

My Travel Map

Comment

Great TR ycp81! Making me miss HK, especially the food...
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Dining area

Lounging area

Hot buffet. There is also a couple of cook-to-order selection of wanton noodles and laksa.

Fruits, salad, desserts and nibbles.

Light bites and ice-cream.

Ordered both the cook-to-order dishes. The wanton noodles was good, but the laksa was a tad too spicy. Had a jelly and ice-cream to cool down.

Some food from the hot buffet selection.

Sweet and savoury soups, and a tiny piece of carrot cake.

A non-alcoholic mix, Peach Sparkle, from the bar.

Decided to leave the lounge early after having some bites as the lounge was filling up fast and was getting rather crowded with insufficient seats for all. Overall, a decent overseas Silver Kris lounge though nothing too spectacular.

Nothing has changed much with HKIA a well, still a busy and sprawling airport.

My Travel Map

Comment

Very good trip report.

Comment

CX Oneworld liveried B773ER

SQ bird at Gate 23.

Gate being prepared for boarding.

The retrofitted 9V-SWP would be operating the flight back. It would be my first ever experience on the New Business Class seat since it was introduced in 2013.

12 September 2016
                  Singapore Airlines
                  SQ 865
                  Hong Kong (HKG) - Singapore (SIN)
                  B777-300ER
                  9V-SWP
                  Business Class
                  Flight Time: 3H34M

Boarding was called early and commenced in an orderly fashion. Welcomed onboard by the graceful crew and directed to the correct aisle. Passed the single-row 4-seater First cabin.

Into the main Business cabin, reaching my seat at 17A.

Checking out the seat:

A huge IFE screen (not touch-screen though) which was so "into-the-face" that I found it a bit too uncomfortable and glaring after a while in he seated position.

Seat controls

3 different positions of reading lights

My Travel Map

Comment

Storage area, USB and electrical ports, and another adjustable reading light.

IFE controller, tray table and stowage bin.

More stowage areas beside the IFE screen, cocktail rest and a vanity mirror. There is also a shoe compartment below the side foot bench.

I am very impressed with the new seats. SQ managed to create a wonderful J class hard product which I believe is one of the best, if not the best, in its class. With such an offering, there is no reason for anyone to fly First Class!

Inflight magazines.

Bubbles to start, along with hot towels offered as well. Newspapers and magazines were also offered but I declined.

Phitek noise-cancellation headphone.

Menu for the flight.

Champagne and wines

My Travel Map

Comment

Some of the other beverages on offer.

And if you are interested in the incoming SQ866 menu...

Out the window.

A rather length (not that I am complaining) 3.5hrs flight time this evening.

Boarding completed and it was almost full-load in all classes. Safety video was played while we pushed back.

Safety video and cabin view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbZ8i256nng

With the cabin lights dimmed for takeoff, seat ambient lightings could actually be turned on to provide a soothing ambient feel! Genius!

My Travel Map

Comment

thanks for the TR, great details embellished with yr personal thots

I'm amazed you cld stomach down all the food in yr HK pics!!!

Comment

Taxi and take off from Rwy07R.

Video of the departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh7O3_j407Y

Across the aisle.

Slippers and socks were distributed shortly after takeoff.

My post-takeoff drink of Earl Grey tea was also delivered. Meal orders were taken but my first choice of lamb ran out. Chose the chicken instead.

Visit to the lavatory with the standard Business Class amenities.

Packet nuts were then distributed when I returned to my seat.

My Travel Map

Comment

Flight map on the IFE control. For some reasons, we were only cruising at a low 28,000ft for the first hour of flight, maybe to avoid weather.

Captain America: Civil War for entertainment.

Dinner service started about 45min into the flight. On this short-haul, tray service was used instead of the full table set-up. Had a white to go with the meal.

Starter of Smoked Salmon with Dill and apple-fennel salad. Salmon was fresh and went well with the salad.

Bakery items, where I had a garlic bread, a breadstick and a soft roll.

Main of Braised chicken with mushroom, beancurd, vegetables and fried ee-fu noodles. This was rather tasty.

Ending with dessert, cheese and fruit. Chose the chocolate orange cake for dessert and a kiwi from the fruit tray. The cake was not bad, cheeses ok. Surprisingly, the kiwi was a golden kiwi.

Ending with a Chinese Mao Feng tea and pralines. We had slightly more than an hour of flying left after meal service was completed.

Tried converting the seat to a bed, just for the fun of it. Similar to the older version, it was a flip down bed. Bed was softer than the earlier version, though slightly narrower.

My Travel Map

Comment

Movie in bed. Screen was of a more comfortable distance away when I lied down.

Some cabin views.

We were soon descending into Singapore. What a short flight it was.

Landing on Rwy02L right on schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ1l691nMyw

Parked at Terminal 3.

Last view during disembarking.

Terminal 3 was totally crowded with travellers this evening, with at least 5 SQ arrivals landing around the same time and disgorging all the returning vacationers. Our belt was also shared with a flight from Perth and we had to wait for the Perth baggage to be cleared before our flight's baggage appears.

SQ's New Business Class seat is definitely worthy of the accolades. The hard product is miles ahead of many competitors. As for the soft product, it is of the usual high SQ standards, though nothing too spectacular due to the short and full flight. Can't wait to fly on one of these new seats again soon!

Thanks for reading and drooling Comments are much welcomed.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X