SQ's OTT use of the seatbelt sign, and LSS lectures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    I'd like to respectfully disagree. Just got off SQ325 and granted there was some turbulence i think it was mild but yet the crew had to suspend services about 6 times. Captains call at the end of the day but unsure from my perspective a little excessive (mind you the 6 times was only whilst I was awake - who knows how many times else it happened whilst i was asleep )
    Do you mean that they repeatedly do the announcements like before?

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
      Do you mean that they repeatedly do the announcements like before?
      Yep - that's why I counted 6 times that the captain asked crew to suspend services and return to their seats

Comment

On my flight from London last Monday, it was particularly bumpy in the 2nd half of the flight and they were pretty good from what I can remember, didn't make multiple announcements.

However the descent into Singapore, they turned off the IFE about an hour before landing if not before, then we were forced to circle in some turbulence, it was pretty poor really.

Comment

Yep - that's why I counted 6 times that the captain asked crew to suspend services and return to their seats
          So was cabin crew the one who made the announcements, or did you just hear the captain's instructions 6 times?
          Just curious, as I was talking about cabin crew announcement.

Comment

So was cabin crew the one who made the announcements, or did you just hear the captain's instructions 6 times?
            Just curious, as I was talking about cabin crew announcement.
            Oh - this was all captain initiating it, but then each time it was followed up by an announcement in english and the GQ FSS would add to it in German.

Comment

Oh - this was all captain initiating it, but then each time it was followed up by an announcement in english and the GQ FSS would add to it in German.
              So it was the annoying way like the old times then.
              Hopefully it is really changing for better (simpler).

Comment

Yes, annoying.

Apparently the company paid for GQ/FQ/JQ language courses and certification, though the crew have to attend the hours at their own expense. Therefore, whenever applicable, these crew MUST apply their announcement skills.

This of course includes those recruited from other countries and whose native tongue is being used ( India,Indonesia,China,Japan etc)

Sort of getting mileage to the max... at our expense.

The perception that customers may sue the airline for not announcing safety reminders in as many language is also harboured by their middle managers.

Flight attendants too face demerit points for not adhering to their SOPs.
                The IFS faces tremendous pressure due to a feedback loop from his subordinates who are assigned at random by assistant managers to report any deviation from the SOPs.

In the past, the public address system could be selected to be audible in various classes/zones, though the IFE would still pause.

Under such work climates, I doubt anyone would want to stick their necks out at all.

Comment

I wonder if this has any effect on the english speaking skills of the crew. I believe the may newsletter contained comments saying the crew do not speak good english.

So much that there is a "speak good English campaign."

Comment

Originally posted by Inflight Sup View Post
                    Under such work climates, I doubt anyone would want to stick their necks out at all.
                    Thanks for the info, good to see the spies within the camp mentality is still going strong.

I don't think anyone should be encouraged deviate from SOP ever. What's needed is a common sense revision to the SOP to reduce passenger annoyance. I'm certain a simple "seatbelts now please" and equivalent in any other applicable language would suffice after an initial briefing.

Comment

The announcements do seem to have calmed down a bit on recent flights, but they are still OTT with how often and how long they 'Ping' us.

Comment

Just got off SQ456 SIN-AUH

There was one announcement about turbulence mid flight. It was still the rather long one with the 'do not use the toilet bla bla bla ...'

It was over the Bay of Bengal. It was a little bumpy but not to the point of water spilling over from cups.

Comment

SIN-LHR the other day, the lights came on 5-6 times but no announcements.

Comment

Well it seems like SQ is listening.

I noticed this new announcement at the beginning of the flight (after take off), informing passengers about what to do when the seat belt signs are turned on (babies out of bassinet, do not use restrooms, seat belts over blankets, suspension of hot beverage service etc).
                            It seemed that they might announce this just one time at the early stage of the flight, and not to repeat it so many times later. Hope this is the case.

Unfortunately the flight (SIN-CGK) was pretty smooth so seat belt sign was not turned on during the flight.
                            I have also noticed the same change. All the extra stuff, babies and bassinets, suspension of hot beverage service etc, seem to be announced as one of their preliminary announcements at the beginning of the flight and not mentioned again subsequent times the seat belt sign is switched on.

I have to say, in my view, SQ's problem is more about how verbose the messages are (and sometimes in 2 languages) after the fasten seatbelt sign goes on, so this is a welcome change. However, it could be edited down even more, down to "seatbelts on please".

I don't necessarily think the problem is that SQ flight deck crew are particularly trigger happy with the seat belt sign. In my view, US carriers are more trigger happy and also usually take more time to turn off the seatbelt sign when turbulence has dissipated. The latter really annoys me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
                              SIN-LHR the other day, the lights came on 5-6 times but no announcements.
                              Was on SQ 322 last night (SIN-LHR), lights on and off a couple if times but no announcement was made.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X