Silk Air to be merged into Singapore Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
    This is very common throughout the industry. Even currently in Scoot cabin crew can fly A320 to Penang one day, 787 to Sydney the next. Jetstar Singapore cabin crew fly 787 to Melbourne one day, A320 to Auckland the next. In British Airways A320 to Oslo one day, 777-300ER to Singapore the next. Nothing groundbreaking here.
    So the MI cabin crew and pilots will simply transition to flying and using the same plane for service, only that they will rotate between both the planes, correct?

Comment

Wonder what this means for terminal allocation in Changi Airport. The current situation of splitting between T3/2 May no longer be feasible when the merger occurs with flexibility between narrow and wide body operations being key. I don’t think T5 would also be ready so soon to accommodate the entire SQ group. My guess will be the combined SQ takes over the terminal 3 wholly with code share partners and Scoot in T2 perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Airtropolis View Post
        Wonder what this means for terminal allocation in Changi Airport. The current situation of splitting between T3/2 May no longer be feasible when the merger occurs with flexibility between narrow and wide body operations being key. I don’t think T5 would also be ready so soon to accommodate the entire SQ group. My guess will be the combined SQ takes over the terminal 3 wholly with code share partners and Scoot in T2 perhaps.
        Could you elaborate why the split between T2/T3 would not work with MI merged into SQ?? If anything, I would have thought it would be completely necessary now. I remember reading that SQ alone could not be accommodated completely in T3 which is why the current split-terminal operation, let alone combined SQ+MI.
        Last edited by Jumbojet Lover; 25 May 2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
          So the MI cabin crew and pilots will simply transition to flying and using the same plane for service, only that they will rotate between both the planes, correct?
          For pilots it's more complicated as they can generally only be qualified to fly one aircraft type at a time. 'Mixed Fleet Flying' does allow some combinations like A320/A330, A330/A350 or B777/B787, though Singapore Airlines don't currently do this with their pilots.

For cabin crew it's simpler as they can usually be qualified to operate on 5 or 6 aircraft types / variants at the same time.

Comment

Yes currently SIA line pilots fly only one type of aircraft that they are currently qualified for and similiarly for Silkair too I believe.
            However for cabin crew, they can be common fleeted to 2 or 3 types of aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
              For pilots it's more complicated as they can generally only be qualified to fly one aircraft type at a time. 'Mixed Fleet Flying' does allow some combinations like A320/A330, A330/A350 or B777/B787, though Singapore Airlines don't currently do this with their pilots.

For cabin crew it's simpler as they can usually be qualified to operate on 5 or 6 aircraft types / variants at the same time.
              Yes, I always thought of it that way. So it makes sense what you're saying.

Comment

I wonder whether the cabin crew will be completely integrated or they will only keep the ex-silkair crew on the narrowbodies.

There is also the question of the difference in policies concerning layovers. E.g. silkair crew to Male do not layover but SQ crew do.

Lastly, when the A319s leave Silkair, that would probably also mean an end to serving USM?

Comment

Originally posted by gumption View Post
                  I wonder whether the cabin crew will be completely integrated or they will only keep the ex-silkair crew on the narrowbodies.

There is also the question of the difference in policies concerning layovers. E.g. silkair crew to Male do not layover but SQ crew do.

Lastly, when the A319s leave Silkair, that would probably also mean an end to serving USM?
                  To answer the first question, if the cabin crew would be integrated, they would also need to be trained on both plane bodies. I know a few airlines who will have crew roster a single aircraft type and when the switch occurs they would eventually be moved to other aircraft (i.e. 744 to 77W or a narrowbody).

With USM, hopefully Scoot will serve that route since it has some A319 and A320.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
                    Don’t recall SIA Cargo have ever operated any B734, but I do remember they had a single B733 in the “current” livery in the 90s and maybe early 2000s. From memory that aircraft was registered 9V-SQZ...
                    My bad. Have been assuming SIA Cargo along with MI operated B734s in the 90s.

Comment

This was the worst kept secret in SQ, but the timing is earlier than expected. Maybe something changed that pushed them to do it now.

Comment

SilkAir integration into SIA progressing on track

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-track-453611/

Speaking to analysts and the media at a briefing, SIA Group chief executive Goh Choon Phong shares that three main tasks have been completed.

SIA has set up a dedicated project management office to oversee the SilkAir integration. The office has since established 12 workstreams to drive integration activities, including product and service definition, operational alignment, staff integration, corporate as well as legal and regulatory requirements.

SilkAir's commercial departments have also been integrated with that of the mainline carrier.

Goh adds that SIA has also finalised product decisions for the Boeing 737 fleet, including seat, in-flight entertainment and in-flight connectivity suppliers. He declined to provide more details, except to say that the new products will be available from 2020, when the merger is expected to be completed.

Comment

https://blueswandaily.com/silkair-ha...ction-in-2020/

Comment

Some cool concept art to feast your eyes on!

Comment

SilkAir to give up some routes to Scoot ahead of merger with SIA

SilkAir to give up some routes to Scoot ahead of merger with SIA

Scoot will acquire some SilkAir routes over the next two years, ahead of SilkAir's merger into Singapore Airlines (SIA).

Scoot, SIA's budget arm, will also be transferring some of its services to existing destinations served by SIA and SilkAir.

The changes are expected to take place between April 2019 and the second half of 2020, SIA said on Thursday (Nov 22).

From SilkAir to Scoot:

• Luang Prabang and Vientiane in Laos, in April 2019

• Coimbatore, Trivandrum and Visakhapatnam in India, between May 2019 and October 2019

• Changsha, Fuzhou, Kunming and Wuhan in China, between May 2019 and June 2019

• Chiang Mai in Thailand, in October 2019

• Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia, in December 2019

• Balikpapan, Lombok, Makassar, Manado, Semarang and Yogyakarta in Indonesia, between May 2020 and July 2020

From Scoot to SIA (Both are existing SIA destinations):

• Bengaluru and Chennai in India, in May 2019 and May 2020

From Scoot to SilkAir (Both are existing SilkAir destinations)

• Shenzhen in China, from June 2019

• Kochi in India, from October 2019

Comment

Honolulu being ceased in June 2019 too due to poor demand.

Comment

Working...
                                X