Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krisflyer --- Question about Miles

Hey guys,

I am sure some of you have known that back before and when I flew in June 2015, I got a KrisFlyer account and have been KrisFlyer Blue. It says I have 21,560 miles, but says Earned: 828 Elite Miles and Requires is 24,172 miles by 31 January 2017. Well, some of you know I am flying SQ this December/January to India and that I am earning more miles. Checking my past trip history, it says I have done a trip on UA to Las Vegas back in January (which I did do and put me and my mom to earn miles) but it doesn't show my June 2015 trip which I took SQ15 and SQ16.

I am a little bit confused. Have my miles expired or something or am I going to earn Silver by the end of this trip and my miles are retained? (Please note, it also applies to my mother as well). If this be the case, I will think of other ways to earn KF miles other than just flying Star Alliance carriers.

Thanks.

Your elite miles, which track your status progress, from June 2015 have probably expired. Those vanish at the end of every membership year. Have a look at your card to see when that is, it's printed there.

Your "regular" miles, to be used for redemptions, last for three years from the date of crediting. These two types of miles are different.

AFAIK, elite miles can only be earned by flying on *A carriers in the appropriate fare buckets.

Comment

Also do note the ticket type you purchased. Discounted tickets may sometimes be limited to 10% of certain tickets.

Based on what you mentioned "Earned: 828 Elite Miles and Requires is 24,172 miles by 31 January 2017" this seems to indicate your membership or first eligible flight for status upgrade is based on Jan 2016 thus as cowie has mentioned elite miles for June 2015 are expired which is correct

To earn Silver you would need 25,000 elite miles (not KF miles)

Definition of elite miles = http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg...er/#Elitemiles

More info
      http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg...-when-you-fly/

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg...-elite-silver/

Hope this helps

Comment

When I look at my statement, my flights like SQ15/MI492/MI491/SQ16, and the two UA LAS flights show up. 828 elite miles are the total I earned from my LAS flights back in January by UA. However, the number of elite miles still hold the same as my KF miles.

I guess I will have to figure some way of earning miles in the future when on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
          When I look at my statement, my flights like SQ15/MI492/MI491/SQ16, and the two UA LAS flights show up. 828 elite miles are the total I earned from my LAS flights back in January by UA. However, the number of elite miles still hold the same as my KF miles.

I guess I will have to figure some way of earning miles in the future when on the ground.
          Nothing other than flying will earn you elite miles. To earn status, you must fly 25,000 (Silver) or 50,000 (Gold) within the exact year your membership is timed by, which in your case is 01FEB-31JAN. It takes a lot of flying to reach Silver or Gold, and if you do it's only valid for the 12 month period.

Comment

Next month in a bit after mid July, I'll be flying UA to New York (LGA). The total round trip miles would be at least 8000. Achieving this I would be Silver (I checked the tickets and fare class and yes it can earn me miles).

So, I need to earn 25K (or 4,3XX more) to reach Silver by December 31, 2017. If I reach Silver already and don't fly for say another 7 months (2018), would it cause any impact on my status or tier of membership (e.g. Go down from Silver back to Blue)? I need to know because I am planning to go to FL in December (hopefully by UA).

I know for a fact my dad will retain Silver on his upcoming September/Oct trip on SQ (or probably become Gold, I don't know for sure).

Comment

You will enjoy 12 months of silver membership from the time you hit silver.

At that point you will have two concurrent counters - one that continues on towards 50,000 to track for gold status within the original 12 month period, and another that restarts at zero to track your requalification for silver within a new 12 month period.

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                You will enjoy 12 months of silver membership from the time you hit silver.

At that point you will have two concurrent counters - one that continues on towards 50,000 to track for gold status within the original 12 month period, and another that restarts at zero to track your requalification for silver within a new 12 month period.
                This will be interesting then. I'm flying to FL but it will be by AA unfortunately. No miles for that. :-(

Comment

I flew UA from SFO to LGA and back just recently, and currently both me and my parents are Silver member (All UA tickets counted for miles). I received an email from SQ and my account says I need 25K miles by July 31, 2018 to maintain my status, but I'm assuming it's also to become Gold. However, correct me if I am wrong.

You are right, Elite miles only occur if you do the flying. I hope I'll be Gold soon.

Also, do you need just elite miles to purchase SQ tickets or it can be applied with regular miles as well?
                  Last edited by SQfanatic; 30 July 2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

You've been active on the board for a long time. This stuff is basic and can easily be found here and on the SQ website.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      You've been active on the board for a long time. This stuff is basic and can easily be found here and on the SQ website.
                      HUGE AL. Yup, I have, but I have only been a KrisFlyer member since 2015. It honestly took me some time but now I understand what's going on.

Elite miles = only when you fly.
                      If they say you gotta earn X number of miles til Y date, then it's in fine print otherwise it'll disappear depending on what my status is (Now it's a concurrent status).

In fact, my father has recently flown SQ and the fare of ticket he got he earned 10% of miles instead of full miles hence why he's not gold. It took me some time but I understand why.

Apologies if I confused anyone or was confused myself.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                        HUGE AL

Apologies if I confused anyone or was confused myself.
                        You’re apologising to yourself? You can do that in private. No need to waste others’ time on this board.

Comment

Working...
                        X