SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Trip Reports

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #121
yflyer
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

Programs: Krisflyer/Star Gold, Qantas Gold/Oneworld Sapphire

I also used my visa card to pay for drinks and snacks onboard...

Mrs yflyer had the foresight to keep her cheese and crackers from the first meal service, and ate them midflight along with a Buy-on-Board bottle of red wine...

I also paid for a single serve of Vodka and Sprite, as well as a cup of Nong Shim Spicy Cup Noodles...

Maybe it was because we had gone a week without eating any Chinese or Asian food...the cup noodles tasted really great.

Scoot serves better cup noodles than SQ (!). The water Scoot pours into the cup is really hot and filled right up to the mark, unlike the warm-but-not-that-hot water SQ uses. This makes a difference -- believe me! Of course SQ's cup noodles are complimentary...sometimes stocked on long haul flights and given to hungry passengers on request, even though they are not listed on the Y menu. Still why can't SQ use hot water too?

On Scoot, the spicy Korean style cup noodles really hit the spot. They were so good, I ordered a second cup a few hours later.

Last edited by yflyer; Today at 05:37 PM..
yflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #122
yflyer

The sun set about 5-6 hours into the flight...

At about the 6 hour mark, 5 hrs before arrival, the light meal was served...(This is another departure from the SOPs of most other carriers, including SQ, who typically serve the 2nd meal about 2 hours before arrival.)

This was also part of the pre-ordered meal selection.

You were given a bottle of juice (Or water if you preferred), a chocolate biscuit, and an enormous turkey and cheese baguette (There is also a vegetarian baguette available).

The baguette tasted ok...and in terms of portion size, it was the largest sandwich I had ever seen on a flight. If you are worried about starving on Scoot's long haul services, don't worry -- it's not going to happen.

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #123
yflyer

With 3 seats to share between the two of us, both Mrs yflyer and I managed to find reasonably comfortable sleeping/resting positions, and managed to snatch some sleep in the remainder of the flight...

We landed in Singapore after 5am in the morning, which was just after midnight Greek time...

As usual, immigration and baggage claim in Changi were quick, and we were in a taxi on the way home before 6am.
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #124
yflyer

Final reflections? Going back to the questions I posed at the start of the TR...

1. What is the long haul experience on Scoot?

It is actually very good. We had a very comfortable 11 hour plus ATH-SIN sector in economy, and SIN-ATH ScootBiz was very good too (More on ScootBiz in the next point).

In the Y cabin, you have to pay for everything: food, drinks, blanket, IFE. You even need to pay your electricity bill if you want to plug in your devices...but that said, the cabin Y hard product is a good one, and in terms of seat pitch, width and comfort, is no different (Except for seat back IFE) from many full service carriers. And the cabin crew we had were also very good...Asian style, warm, friendly and attentive service.

And with the right choice of paid options/extras, the flight can be very comfortable indeed. They do need to add more F&B options to their long haul menu, though.

Overall, I would be very happy to fly Scoot long haul anywhere, even as far as from SIN to the USA, if the price was right.

2. What is the difference in experience between ScootBiz and Economy?

I found ScootBiz to be a great way to fly longhaul on vacation when you don't want to splurge on J, but want something more comfortable than Y, especially for overnight sectors. In terms of hard product, it is equivalent / slightly better than PEY on a full service carrier. Is it more comfortable than Y? Much more comfortable (Unless you can engineer a situation where you have 3 Y seats to yourself...).

Is it worth the difference in price? ScootBiz prices do fluctuate as well. If the ScootBiz fares were reasonable, I would be quite happy to select ScootBiz at time of booking. And I would definitely bid for ScootBiz on the overnight sector, maybe the daytime return too, if I was on a Y ticket.

3. What is a reasonable itinerary for an 8 day holiday in Greece?

8 Days is just about the minimum for a satisfying trip covering Athens, Mykonos and Santorini. 10-11 days is probably ideal, and would have enabled us to cover a few other activities, such as an excursion to the island of Delos, and a tour of the wineries on Santorini, but overall we had a very satisfying trip in 8 days, and saw everything we really wanted to see. Definitely doable, and very enjoyable!

4. Should you take a ferry or plane between the Greek islands?

Ferry is a good option, at least one way, as sailing the Aegean is a lot of fun if the weather is good. I would recommend the large Blue Star ferries and, if the weather is good, the Seajets Champion Jet 1 as well (I know for sure the Champion Jet 1 has an open sun deck and balcony for great views, which not all fast ferries have). For our return, the flight from Santorini to Athens is a good way to save time, and wasn't too expensive either. On a related note, when it comes to boat cruises or excursions involving a boat ride, best to book when you arrive, and ideally know what the weather forecast is, because the weather can be variable, and sailing in rough seas, especially on small vessels, is not something to be taken lightly!

5. Is the end of August / start of September a good time to go to Greece?

It is a great time to go! This is considered the tail end of the high season...so it was still busy, but not too congested. And weather was decent too...a few hot days in Athens, and warm comfortable yet sunny weather on Mykonos and Santorini.

____

In all, a very memorable holiday -- with sights and experiences that were just unique and unforgettable. Greece has so much to offer for visitors, history, scenery, cuisine, wine and culture...and everyone we met along the way was so warm, friendly and welcoming too, in a very real and sincere way.

And getting there and back on Scoot's nonstop Dreamliner service was great, whether in ScootBiz or Economy. As I said earlier in this thread, I think Scoot's new service to Greece is a winner, and I can't wait for other long haul LCC routes to be launched.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by yflyer; Today at 11:13 AM..
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #125
SQGamespeed
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: KF Gold, MPC Gold, FB Silver, NZ, A3*G, OW, SPG Plat

What can I say? Another fantastic and epic TR, yflyer!

A trip to Greece has long been on my bucket list, and it looks like later summer is a much better time to visit, as the crowds in your pictures don't look anywhere near as big as in pictures I have seen that were taken in July.

Athens also looks pretty nice, as I have heard mixed opinions about it from other travellers.
SQGamespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:52 PM   #126
yflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQGamespeed View Post
What can I say? Another fantastic and epic TR, yflyer!
Thanks, SQGamespeed!

Quote:
A trip to Greece has long been on my bucket list, and it looks like later summer is a much better time to visit, as the crowds in your pictures don't look anywhere near as big as in pictures I have seen that were taken in July.
Yes, end Aug/Early Sep looks to be a good time to go. I would not dare go at the height of peak season! Apart from the crowds, prices are probably higher too...

Quote:
Athens also looks pretty nice, as I have heard mixed opinions about it from other travellers.
We found the historic centre of Athens quite wonderful to explore. Definitely worthy of a place on anyone's bucket list!