SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    At one stage a few years back they announced BKK would go fully A330, but it never materialised. It's a short flight I guess but at the end of the day, nobody really wants the old planes. They still use them on 10+ hour flights to IST and CHC too. I often figure the department that makes these decisions has figures it uses that none of us will ever see.
    As far as I know from friends, SQ has always used its "premium" quality to differentiate itself from the rivals (TG, ME3) in order to attract passengers ex. BKK. "Premium quality", "world class", "top-notch products" are among words used to advertise. Many of my friends have flown on old 777s that SQ operates on some BKK flights and told me that the seats in business class are worse than TG, ME3. Of course they continue their flights onto other destinations where SQ uses its most premium product, but still they were disappointed that the BKK sector does not give them the "premium"-ness that SQ has boasted about.

Comment

• Originally posted by iSQream View Post
      As far as I know from friends, SQ has always used its "premium" quality to differentiate itself from the rivals (TG, ME3) in order to attract passengers ex. BKK. "Premium quality", "world class", "top-notch products" are among words used to advertise. Many of my friends have flown on old 777s that SQ operates on some BKK flights and told me that the seats in business class are worse than TG, ME3. Of course they continue their flights onto other destinations where SQ uses its most premium product, but still they were disappointed that the BKK sector does not give them the "premium"-ness that SQ has boasted about.
      I'm flying on the 772 come December to BKK. I'm just shocked that in J the configuration is 2-3-2. So much for a "premium" J seat. Would opt for the A333 had the schedule fit mine. Thats 7 Seats across compared to SQ's current standard of 4 (1-2-1). Just hope these 772's get replaced quickly. No one wants them anymore....

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinghigher View Post
        I'm flying on the 772 come December to BKK. I'm just shocked that in J the configuration is 2-3-2. So much for a "premium" J seat. Would opt for the A333 had the schedule fit mine. Thats 7 Seats across compared to SQ's current standard of 4 (1-2-1). Just hope these 772's get replaced quickly. No one wants them anymore....
        The plane you are referring to is the one with the 'ultimo' J seats. They used to have 2 and I think 1 was recently retired so only SRL left and I think it gonna go soon as well

I've been on this seat a few times and to be honest it is actually quite comfortable. Lots of nostalgia like the overhead projector in middle projecting to the front screen etc. for a short trip like BKK I actually prefer this plane and the seats are actually quite wide so unless u get a middle seat else it's actually not an issue. Yes the IFE sucks so it's not worth a view. My take is this is an old bird so live the old life and fly classic and just relax on this short flight

From a prestige perspective I totally get you guys but from a trip wise flight it really does the job well done even in J. I actually prefer it to the regional J on a short flight where IFE and power is not a requirement and I just sit back and actually relax and rid myself from technology

I'm sure the maintenance and parts will soon be a nightmare for SQ and the last SRL will be taken off soon. But for those who want a last taste of 90's nostalgia this is it

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
          The plane you are referring to is the one with the 'ultimo' J seats. They used to have 2 and I think 1 was recently retired so only SRL left and I think it gonna go soon as well

I've been on this seat a few times and to be honest it is actually quite comfortable. Lots of nostalgia like the overhead projector in middle projecting to the front screen etc. for a short trip like BKK I actually prefer this plane and the seats are actually quite wide so unless u get a middle seat else it's actually not an issue. Yes the IFE sucks so it's not worth a view. My take is this is an old bird so live the old life and fly classic and just relax on this short flight

From a prestige perspective I totally get you guys but from a trip wise flight it really does the job well done even in J. I actually prefer it to the regional J on a short flight where IFE and power is not a requirement and I just sit back and actually relax and rid myself from technology

I'm sure the maintenance and parts will soon be a nightmare for SQ and the last SRL will be taken off soon. But for those who want a last taste of 90's nostalgia this is it
          i wonder how long more it will be flying.....

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post

Well said. Thanks for another perspective. I've been on these old 777 for a couple of times; one time unfortunately on the middle seat in J. Perhaps, sitting in the middle seat in J will be something I can sort of "brag" about (for lack of a better work haha) once these planes are gone completely.

Comment

• 9V-SRJ is currently doing 'C' checks which means heavy maintenace. Expect it to be out of service for at least 1-2 months.

Comment

• Just came back today on SQ975 and it was an A330. Was supposed to be a B772 (SRL I believed) but got an email last week informing change of aircraft. I'm not complaining!

Comment

• Originally posted by banx007 View Post
                  9V-SRJ is currently doing 'C' checks which means heavy maintenace. Expect it to be out of service for at least 1-2 months.
                  Does this mean we expect to see it return to service, or could it be for other reasons that such a check would be performed?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    Does this mean we expect to see it return to service, or could it be for other reasons that such a check would be performed?
                    It might be, unless i see the aircraft in an all white scheme. But for now, maintenance says it is just doing 'C' check. And 'C' check are not cheap so i don't think SQ will spend that much of money and then sell or store the aircraft. Expect the aircraft to be around for another 2-3 years which is the next 'C' check.

Comment

• if it is going in for a C check then for a 777 it can be done within a month, and yes it costly and SIA will not do a C check if it intends to retire the aircraft - and hence its going to be in service for another 3 years even, but hopefully it be leased out or have been leased.

Comment

• Originally posted by banx007 View Post
                        It might be, unless i see the aircraft in an all white scheme. But for now, maintenance says it is just doing 'C' check. And 'C' check are not cheap so i don't think SQ will spend that much of money and then sell or store the aircraft. Expect the aircraft to be around for another 2-3 years which is the next 'C' check.
                        Hope they dump those seats while they are at it!

Comment

• SQK has had its J cabin reupholstered with dark brown leather as well.

Anyway I was just wondering if the innards of, say, SYG were taken out before being retired. Could those regional j seats be hypothetically fitted into SRJ?

Comment

• The only difference between a -200 and -300 series B777 is the length of the fuselage.....the width remains exactly the same, and i believe the cabin floor moorings too. I imagine they would be able to fit no problem.

Comment

• Interesting SQ426 is moving to A330 from 777-200 from Feb 2018
                              SQ426 SIN1810 – 2100BOM 333 567
                              Of course not a daily flight and too early to speculate what this means

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                                SQK has had its J cabin reupholstered with dark brown leather as well.

Anyway I was just wondering if the innards of, say, SYG were taken out before being retired. Could those regional j seats be hypothetically fitted into SRJ?
                                After doing some digging this morning, I am fairly confident that SRJ is headed to NokScoot. Before everyone jumps on me about the 14 year limit (which I have posted about too), it looks like there have been some changes to Thai laws and the new age limit is 16 years. See https://www.pressreader.com/thailand...82604557779884
                                and https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...p-requirements

I think the CH article in particular would be fairly credible. So assuming that the age limit is now 16 years, SRJ would fit the timing for the next aircraft to NokScoot but hey presto it will be 16 in November (and NokScoot is expected to take aircraft number 4 this month. See https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...n-revival-plan

That article goes on to suggest that aircraft 5 will arrive in Feb next year and aircraft 6 in October (with more if the ICAO red flag is removed as expected by the middle of this month). I think we can assume that SRL will be going to NokScoot too (it will turn 16 in July) and this fits with the annual report which suggested 2 of the 200s would depart this financial year.

That leaves a question over SVF. It is due to turn 16 in Jan year. While it is not the regional series, it was not refitted so there is a possibility that it could make its way to NokScoot too. Beyond that there is SQJ and SVG that are possible later next year. Personally I think SQJ is more likely as the long haul 777s could be used for other flights (maybe Aus flights as the 200s depart and CBR/WLG as the number of regional 777s reduce).

I would expect NokScoot to take quite a few 777s once the red flag is removed as they want to do a number of flights to Korea and Japan. My guess is that this flows into the Scoot planning to with the current Thai - Japan flights swapping to NokScoot and the Scoot capacity being deployed elsewhere (HNL maybe?).

I have previously posted about the long haul 777s (such as SVF) going to Vistara. I think this is still likely but not this year. There seems to be good intel that Vistara will start international with the A320s for a year before adding long haul. see http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/60888583.cms

Given that timeframe, I doubt Vistara will take new expensive aircraft (300ERs)for a few years and then shift to the next gen aircraft (777-900s). They are more likely to take the used SQ aircraft and then shift to the next gen birds in 4-5 years.

I know there has been speculation about the 787-10s going to Vistara and I guess that is a possibility. However, I do not think the 10s will have the range for the flights to the US which will be a priority for Vistara. They are also likely to want larger aircraft for long haul given the huge demand in India. While I agree that SQ are unlikely to use that many 787s for regional flights, I think it is more likely that some of those aircraft will be converted to 800s / 900s for use by Scoot (I think there were even some reports to this effect).

Anyway, going back to where I started from. It looks like SQs plan is to move quire a number of the regional 777s to NokScoot. This should see a fair number of routes change aircraft type as the 330s continue to be returned.

Comment

Working...
                                X