No announcement yet.

Need recommendations on Tokyo hotels !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need recommendations on Tokyo hotels !

Hi all !
    I will returning back to Japan in December and will be in tokyo for a few days in Jan . I hope that some of you can help recommend some hotels for me to stay in . I don't like staying in the same hotels that i've already been to . I would also like a hotel with an executive level with a lounge .
    Hotels that are out for me as i've stayed there before :
    Hilton Shinjuku ( Feel uncomfortable there )
    Four Seasons ( Really nice but the area's out of the way )
    Washington Hotel Narita ( really really spooked out )
    Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa ( Really modern and chic interior )
    Hotel Nikko Tokyo Bay ( Lovely hotel! but the area's off as well )
    Dai-ichi hotel ( The place was okay )

Can anyone please help me recommend a hotel
    Many Thanks in advance !
    Last edited by soarbeyond; 8 November 2010, 12:45 PM.

Conrad Tokyo at Shiodome is .

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
      Hi all !
      I will returning back to Japan in December and will be in tokyo for a few days in Jan . I hope that some of you can help recommend some hotels for me to stay in . I don't like staying in the same hotels that i've already been to . I would also like a hotel with an executive level with a lounge .
      Hotels that are out for me as i've stayed there before :
      Hilton Shinjuku ( Feel uncomfortable there )
      Four Seasons ( Really nice but the area's out of the way )
      Washington Hotel Narita ( really really spooked out )
      Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa ( Really modern and chic interior )
      Hotel Nikko Tokyo Bay ( Lovely hotel! but the area's off as well )
      Dai-ichi hotel ( The place was okay )

Can anyone please help me recommend a hotel
      Many Thanks in advance !
      just got back last week from spending 6 nights at the Park Hyatt and 2 nights at the Westin. Would strongly recommend the Park Hyatt- I was very impressed. It represents a level of service that is both very formal, yet highly intimate. The concierge was amongst the most knowledgeable and helpful of any I have ever come across.
      As for the Westin, I chose it based in large part on very positive reviews by fellow SQTalkers, but for me, I was underwhelmed. The breakfast, which had received so many rave reviews, I found to be incredibly overrated. Yes, they do have a tremendous selection, and the juices were definitely a highlight, but the rest of the buffet was just not of the quality that I would expect. Aside from the juices, I found the rest of the breakfast selections to be average at best. To be fair, the only bad dining experience I had while in Tokyo was at the PHT NY Grill. I am not being boastful when stating that I make steak that is far superior to what I was served. And I have had far better at both Ruth's Chris and Morton's. Furthermore, it was also ridiculously overpriced- ¥9500 for a 200g a la carte piece of steak- if it was good, I would have no issues whatsoever, but frankly, it was garbage. My girlfriend's was actually much better- she was gracious in sharing her 7oz with me. We did love the foie gras appetizer, and the duck fat fries were very tasty.
      I probably would be more effusive in my praise for the Westin had I stayed there prior to our stay at the PHT, but coming from the Park Hyatt, some of the service lapses were much more glaring, considering everything at the PHT (aside from the steak), was flawless. The breakfast at the PHT, which had been the biggest complaint of many, I found to be exceptional. The eggs were of the absolute highest quality, the croissants exceptionally flaky, the espresso very bold and flavorful. And the Kozue breakfast and teas were simply flawless in presentation, flavor and freshness.
      I definitely prefer the Ebisu area where the Westin is located, as there are several excellent restaurants nearby (Chateau Robuchon is directly across the street and many other restaurants are very close). Despite staying in Shinjuku for a week, we did not visit a single restaurant there, and the area just was not very enticing. Had the PHT not been located there, we definitely would not have spent any time in the Shinjuku area whatsoever.
      Anyways, if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. Enjoy your stay wherever you decide.

Comment

I had fond memories of this place - Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier

It's certainly nice/different (LED screens make the shower screen opaque with a flick of the switch, very cool) with a fantastic view over Ginza by night, and I'd have no problems going back there to stay if I'm not allied to any hotel loyalty program...

(oh, and I happen to enjoy the vastness of Shinjuku when walking by all the Metro buildings)
        Last edited by Kyo; 8 November 2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

These things really are YMMV. I respect taipeiflyer's opinions but his experience of the PHT breakfast (although I'm not sure whether he means the buffet breakfast in the restaurant (not Kozue) which I found dire or the room service breakfast which was good) and the Westin breakfast are almost the opposite of mine! I had a Japanese lunch in Kozue and it was nice; but didn't try the NY Grill (and from what taipeiflyer says, it seems I was lucky not to!).

I don't have a problem with the service in both places (although I know others do ) but on the other hand, I didn't think either was exceptional (for Japan). Certainly nothing stands out when I think about it now.

Anyway, if soarbeyond's requirement is "a hotel with an executive level with a lounge", then the PHT is out as there is no lounge. The Westin does have a lounge (you can get breakfast there too).

For location, I prefer the Grand Hyatt (I don't know whether it has a lounge as I didn't stay there with a diamond) to the Westin/Ebisu as the GH is near the Roppongi and surrounding area restaurants which I went to.

Leaving aside lounges, points, miles and frequent stay programmes, one hotel in Tokyo which I do want to try sometime is the Imperial Hotel. I've only stayed twice in the one in Osaka where it seems to have a high proportion of Japanese guests (which I think says something about the service to be expected). I prefer that hotel over the other Osaka hotels I've stayed in, e.g. the St Regis (which is much more expensive than the Imperial but far worse, albeit I stayed on its opening day), the Ritz Carlton (I spent almost a fortnight there) and the Westin (many stays).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            These things really are YMMV. I respect taipeiflyer's opinions but his experience of the PHT breakfast (although I'm not sure whether he means the buffet breakfast in the restaurant (not Kozue) which I found dire or the room service breakfast which was good) and the Westin breakfast are almost the opposite of mine! I had a Japanese lunch in Kozue and it was nice; but didn't try the NY Grill (and from what taipeiflyer says, it seems I was lucky not to!).

I don't have a problem with the service in both places (although I know others do ) but on the other hand, I didn't think either was exceptional (for Japan). Certainly nothing stands out when I think about it now.

Anyway, if soarbeyond's requirement is "a hotel with an executive level with a lounge", then the PHT is out as there is no lounge. The Westin does have a lounge (you can get breakfast there too).

For location, I prefer the Grand Hyatt (I don't know whether it has a lounge as I didn't stay there with a diamond) to the Westin/Ebisu as the GH is near the Roppongi and surrounding area restaurants which I went to.

Leaving aside lounges, points, miles and frequent stay programmes, one hotel in Tokyo which I do want to try sometime is the Imperial Hotel. I've only stayed twice in the one in Osaka where it seems to have a high proportion of Japanese guests (which I think says something about the service to be expected). I prefer that hotel over the other Osaka hotels I've stayed in, e.g. the St Regis (which is much more expensive than the Imperial but far worse, albeit I stayed on its opening day), the Ritz Carlton (I spent almost a fortnight there) and the Westin (many stays).
            hi jhm, just to clarify- i did not eat the buffet breakfast on any of the mornings at the PHT. i ordered room service 3 days, and when eating at Girandole, i strictly ordered off the menu. i guess that is why i was not as much a fan of the westin breakfast- i tend to have an aversion towards buffet-style breakfasts to begin with. cant tell you how many times i see people put something on their plate and then put it back, or use their hands, etc. when you see that, it kinda makes you lose your appetite. we did not check out the lounge at the westin. not to hijack the thread- but one thing that we were surprised by at the westin- the pictures on the website make the hotel look like it has undergone a refurbishment, but while we loved the lobby, resplendent in christmas lights and decorations, our room was awash in heavy drapes, gaudy columns, and ornate gold accents that are more befitting of the prince de galles in paris, than a westin in tokyo. we walked into the room and were just surprised. i always think less is more, and prefer a more minimalist look. i agree with you, the Imperial Hotel sounds very refined.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
              Conrad Tokyo at Shiodome is .
              Is it really that good !

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
              just got back last week from spending 6 nights at the Park Hyatt and 2 nights at the Westin. Would strongly recommend the Park Hyatt- I was very impressed. It represents a level of service that is both very formal, yet highly intimate. The concierge was amongst the most knowledgeable and helpful of any I have ever come across.
              As for the Westin, I chose it based in large part on very positive reviews by fellow SQTalkers, but for me, I was underwhelmed. The breakfast, which had received so many rave reviews, I found to be incredibly overrated. Yes, they do have a tremendous selection, and the juices were definitely a highlight, but the rest of the buffet was just not of the quality that I would expect. Aside from the juices, I found the rest of the breakfast selections to be average at best. To be fair, the only bad dining experience I had while in Tokyo was at the PHT NY Grill. I am not being boastful when stating that I make steak that is far superior to what I was served. And I have had far better at both Ruth's Chris and Morton's. Furthermore, it was also ridiculously overpriced- ¥9500 for a 200g a la carte piece of steak- if it was good, I would have no issues whatsoever, but frankly, it was garbage. My girlfriend's was actually much better- she was gracious in sharing her 7oz with me. We did love the foie gras appetizer, and the duck fat fries were very tasty.
              I probably would be more effusive in my praise for the Westin had I stayed there prior to our stay at the PHT, but coming from the Park Hyatt, some of the service lapses were much more glaring, considering everything at the PHT (aside from the steak), was flawless. The breakfast at the PHT, which had been the biggest complaint of many, I found to be exceptional. The eggs were of the absolute highest quality, the croissants exceptionally flaky, the espresso very bold and flavorful. And the Kozue breakfast and teas were simply flawless in presentation, flavor and freshness.
              I definitely prefer the Ebisu area where the Westin is located, as there are several excellent restaurants nearby (Chateau Robuchon is directly across the street and many other restaurants are very close). Despite staying in Shinjuku for a week, we did not visit a single restaurant there, and the area just was not very enticing. Had the PHT not been located there, we definitely would not have spent any time in the Shinjuku area whatsoever.
              Anyways, if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. Enjoy your stay wherever you decide.
              I am actually very interested in the two hotels that you've brought up . They look stunning in the pictures !

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              I had fond memories of this place - Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier

It's certainly nice/different (LED screens make the shower screen opaque with a flick of the switch, very cool) with a fantastic view over Ginza by night, and I'd have no problems going back there to stay if I'm not allied to any hotel loyalty program...

(oh, and I happen to enjoy the vastness of Shinjuku when walking by all the Metro buildings)
              Mmm ... A nice Japanese Hotel
              Kinda looks like the chic grand price hotel

jhm , yes indeed , i am looking for a hotel with an excutive level and with a lounge as i would love to come back to reality once i've left my hometown in Japan . I cannot wait to leave that place after a few weeks as i have to literally dive back into the olden days
              However , seeing that i do need to get some shopping done ( ok , infact alot !) i do not think that the lounge is a MUST !
              I will definitely consider the all hotels that have been recommended The imperial hotel is alot cheaper that i expected it to be !

Lastly , i would like to thank StarG , taipeiflyer , kyo and jhm for your swift replies !
              Hopefully more people can keep the recommendations coming !

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, taipeiflyer! That explains a lot. My first breakfast at the PHT was at Girandole and it was terrible - a tiny selection which had been messed around by the other guests and had not been tidied up/refreshed by the staff (e.g. the croissants were dry and cold); and extremely slow service (lots of people running around disorganised, e.g. my coffee was not topped up for 10-15 minutes and I had to ask). The room service breakfast the next morning was far far better, e.g. warm and flaky patisserie etc.

The Westin lounge is nothing special but the staff there can/do help you out like a concierge would.

I like minimalist/sleek myself as well and I agree with you that the Westin is far short of that. On the other hand, I found the PHT room I stayed in on two occasions (admittedly the cheapest category booked) to be of low quality as far as furnishings are concerned (I have a post on SQT elsewhere about this), e.g. a sagging chair; a cheap plastic (noisy) Braun alarm clock; etc.

Comment

my hometown in Japan . I cannot wait to leave that place after a few weeks as i have to literally dive back into the olden days
                  I don't know but never having visited and reading about it, Kagoshima sounds very nice indeed. One of the places where I will definitely stay if I'm in the area.

Comment

jhm- i agree with you about some of the furniture being cheap at PHT. yes, i too was surprised by the plastic clock- but i have to admit, i like it in a nostalgic sort of way. reminded of the one by my bed at my aunt's house when i was a kid. and i knocked a wooden panel off of the entertainment system when trying to load a dvd. only then did i realize it was not even hinged in... just kinda pushed into the frame.

soarbeyond- all of our pictures from the trip (including the hotels) are uploaded to our FB account. if you would like to view them, shoot me a PM and I will add you, as mine and my girlfriend's accounts are privatized.

Comment

I don't know but never having visited and reading about it, Kagoshima sounds very nice indeed. One of the places where I will definitely stay if I'm in the area.
                      Kagoshima
                      Let me be honest here . I have never been to the city !( Hoping to visit it this year!)
                      I live at the other end of kagoshima near the area right next to the ocean . My house in located in the mountains !!!!
                      I do have a plasma TV ( at least it's the most latest gadget in the house) and a karaoke room but that's about it . There is no internet at all ! I need the internet to live and the roaming charges are ridiculous !

Comment

Kagoshima
                        Let me be honest here . I have never been to the city !( Hoping to visit it this year!)
                        I live at the other end of kagoshima near the area right next to the ocean . My house in located in the mountains !!!!
                        I do have a plasma TV ( at least it's the most latest gadget in the house) and a karaoke room but that's about it . There is no internet at all ! I need the internet to live and the roaming charges are ridiculous !
                        Well sometimes it is nice to get away from the net and such. I spent a few days in July (my birthday) in a mountain cabin on the west coast of Norway without any electricity, toilet facilities, running water, etc. and still managed to have a good time (which I initially thought was not possible)!

Granted I did have a bottle of Moet to keep me company...
                        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Kagoshima
                          a karaoke room? sweet! i propose the next DO at Soar Beyond's pad. I will bring the Suntory Yamazaki 18.

Comment

right next to the ocean . My house in located in the mountains !!!!
                            Cool! Ever thought of opening a ryokan ? It sounds like the sort of place where city dwellers will pay large sums of money to come and stay. Fabulous views, fresh air, none of the interruptions of modern life and locally sourced food.

Comment

Is it really that good !
                              Apologies for the previous short post as I saw your thread in the middle of a busy afternoon.

Yes, I find the hotel very much to my liking.
                              Rooms are spacious, and even the standard rooms have windowside 'sofa' which you can use as daybed. Executive lounge is nice to hang around in although not very big. Service is very good, although I would say one notch below that of the Peninsula Tokyo. Location: walkable distance to Tsukiji fish market and Ginza, although we preferred cabs.
                              Subway station underneath the hotel, and a 24 hrs AM/PM store in case you have sudden cravings for cream puffs or exclusive Japan-only Haagen Dazs.

Can't say anything about breakfast quality in the hotel, because in Japan for me that would be a waste of stomach space! Ramen & Sushi/Sashimi is more my mode of breakfast in Tokyo.

Comment

Working...
                              X