This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
    Does anyone know what type of J seats will be fitted on the A350s? There are sources that say that they will be equipped with the 2013 J products found on the new (and refitted) 77Ws, but with the launch of the all-new J class seats in 2017 on the A380s, will SQ be refitting the A350s only after one year of service? Doesn't it make more sense for SQ to launch the new J class seat on the A350s?
    I think they will probably fit the 2013 J. The A380 refresh in 2017 is only for R class IIRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
      The A380 refresh in 2017 is only for R class IIRC.
      Nope. SQ will be launching an all-new J class seat on the upcoming A380s. Doesn't say anything about Y class though.

Source:http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...-class-in-2017

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
        Nope. SQ will be launching an all-new J class seat on the upcoming A380s. Doesn't say anything about Y class though.

Source:http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...-class-in-2017
        Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying! I assume this J seat will also be fitted on the other incoming aircraft, or is it only exclusive to the A380?

Comment

• Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
          Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying! I assume this J seat will also be fitted on the other incoming aircraft, or is it only exclusive to the A380?
          I'm not entirely sure, but from the looks of it with the 20 long-haul A359s and all the 77Ws getting the "refreshed" Business class product, the A380 could be the only one getting the new long-haul J class. I'm not entirely sure about the next batch of A359s, but I believe those will be configured for regional routes and will most likely introduce the new regional J.

Comment

• Would anyone has experience F for sleeper service flights like those to Melbourne /Sydney or Tokyo?
            Do these flights offer full meal service like other F class on anyother flights?
            I had one sleeper service flight but that was form Haneda to Changi onF and I was too tired and sleepy and doze off minutes after take off!!
            Appreciate if anyone has any input
            Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Drkinder View Post
              Would anyone has experience F for sleeper service flights like those to Melbourne /Sydney or Tokyo?
              Do these flights offer full meal service like other F class on anyother flights?
              I had one sleeper service flight but that was form Haneda to Changi onF and I was too tired and sleepy and doze off minutes after take off!!
              Appreciate if anyone has any input
              Thanks
              I did SQ231 in F and they had a limited meal unlike other F I did previously. But what I did was fill up in the private room and then head to sleep on the fluent and had my meal for breakfast. But it was unlike other f where there was caviar and the services was offered. But I did enjoy the private room meal though

Comment

• Good idea Alian that is to have a nice dinner in Private room then good rest on the plane
                Thanks

Comment

• I have an upcoming trip on a 77WR on Y.

It seems that 48HK is a newly added row (in place of a lavatory as compared to the 77W/77WN); would anyone recommend it? Hopefully it comes with full recline, unobstructed windows and not too much disruption from the galley...

Thanks
                  Last edited by eriond; 24 October 2016, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• A350 Main Y cabin

Finally got myself organised to make a few observations about A350 Y which hopefully might give some of you a bit of insight into the main cabin and help you select a seat.

My first flights in the A350 were 27 December '16 and 22 January '17 flying into and out of DUS. Overall I was quite pleased with the experience, a little more so on my second flight than the inaugural. I'm afraid I couldn't detect any difference in cabin noise or humidity. The lighting is definitely better though and the features to simulate dawn or dusk felt very comforting. They must be quite complex to operate though because the crew on my first flight had a few hiccups with some bizarre transitions and flashes on and off. My second flight was pretty seamless- way better than the old 777 3-second transition experience.

The cabin:

I sat in the middle of the main cabin for both flights in an "A" window seat which is always my preference. One of my concerns about the A350 was that it would be like the A330 or A340 and cause significant row curvature due to a tapering fuselage. Airbus had insisted that this would not be the case and I was really pleased to see that they kept to their word. There is absolutely no row angling or seat compacting discernible:

However, before you go rushing to pick a seat right up the back, there is one big trade off. The galley is at the back and essentially occupies the semi-circular end of the plane. It is not discretely closed off with a wall or bulkhead and particularly at the rear starboard area, some of the galley literally comes around into the cabin with only a very angled curtain to shield between the two areas. I would strongly advise against selecting Row 62 as you are pretty much sitting within the galley! I don't envy the difficulty for the crew here either, with the pressure on them to work extra quietly when preparing breakfast. This photo gives you some idea:

The seat:

Overall it's a very pleasing product, similar to the new 77W seat. It is slightly narrower, although I can't say I noticed it much, but I will reserve judgement until someone is sitting in the B seat next to me. (On my first flight I had 58A-C, 59A-C and 60A-C all to myself- nobody reclining in front, nobody to consider behind when reclining and enough pillows and blankets to build a small fort.) The seatback is slightly different to the 77W version but all the controls are there (my jacket is hiding the USB and audio ports):

The tray table is bi-folding but very flimsy and unstable compared to the 77W. As you can see below, it can wobble about to a significant angle. I'm not sure if it's meant to do this for some reason, but I prefer the 2006 version personally.

Finally, the one thing I really didn't like about the A350- the armrest:

Whoever designed this ridiculous thing should be thanked politely for their work and informed that no ongoing contract is available! The finish on it is cheap and tacky, it gets so thin at the end that it's quite pointy and almost dangerous if you fell onto it, but by far the worst aspect is that should you be in the fortunate situation to have a spare seat next to you, if you recline them both back, this overgrown icy-pole stick is incapable of folding up any further than fully vertical, meaning that even if both seats are occupied and you were seated next to your partner, a great big jagged post is lodged in between you. If the next seat is empty, it will form an intrusive barrier to enjoying the extra space. I wouldn't say it completely ruins the plane for me, but it certainly takes the edge off one's excitement for the A350. It just looks so out of place in an aircraft to have an armrest that feels like it belongs on a plastic stacking chair.

In general the cabin feels roomier and lighter and the fabric parts of the seat are very comfortable, it's just the quality in some of the details that lets it down somewhat. It will be interesting to see how well they age, as at one point I seemed to be detecting a minor vibration or wind-whistle between two interior wall panels on one of the planes which was fairly irritating. If you find planes claustrophobic though, then this is the plane for you as the higher ceiling and baggage storage in the centre section really opens up the space and has a much lighter feel to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                      Finally, the one thing I really didn't like about the A350- the armrest
                      I was appalled when I first saw this on my first SQ A350 flight too. It's obvious that some seat width was shaved off over here, and they couldn't even be bothered to make it thick enough for the recline button!! I actually felt the A350 was more claustrophobic than being on a 77WR, but felt none of this on a QR A350.

I really wonder if SQ has got something wrong with the A350? Considering how many are unhappy about the J seat too...

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                        Considering how many are unhappy about the J seat too...
                        Whats wrong with it?

Comment

• In my opinion I wouldn't say be unhappy about the J - but I would say I prefer the b777wn/r more due to a notable space / size difference. Understand the width of the a350 smaller so everything got compacted.

Funny thing is I still prefer the 2006 J though (personal opinion)

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
                            Funny thing is I still prefer the 2006 J though (personal opinion)
                            The 2006 set of products was quite revolutionary in many aspects so it's hard not to love it and it's also hard to really make the passenger feel even greater advancement with the newer products. The 744 J product seems to be seen as the most innovative they had up until that point from what I've read on here.

From the point of view of Y, 2006 introduced the separate cup holder with glasses compartment behind, the bi-fold tray, the coathook, the seat-back IFE controller, a massive increase in IFE server capacity, a lighter palette moving away from heavy blues and purples... It's hard to generate such a wow factor again.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                              Whats wrong with it?
                              There's a long thread over at flyertalk about it. Have a look.

Personally I haven't flown J on the A350 enough to have a strong opinion about it yet, but my limited experience was that it was similar to the 77W.

SQ228, I was actually quite wowed by the 2013 Y product! For the first time a touch screen interface, and everything is more 'flowy' and 'swipey', more like a smart phone. Of course it was full of bugs but hopefully the latest edition has solved all of that. The seat itself is also the most comfortable Y seat I've ever taken. So much so that I'd choose it over, say, an upper deck Y on the A380.

For J I'd take the 2013 ones anytime but I love the 2006 ones too for sure!

Comment

• Has anyone tried 15A/K Business class on the 77WR? Are they similar to the ones in 11A/K?

Is it too close to the galley where the cabin light will affect one's sleep?

Comment

Working...
                                X