How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fimo View Post
    I've since then bought a 50mm f1.4 prime lens, and the 10-22mm UWA.
    Nice. The 10-22 is the same one as jhm's post below. Was thinking of that for cabin shots ... which leads me to.........

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    Canon 5D

snip

Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5
    ......... Shame you can't mount that on the 5D. Am more than happy to take the 10-22 off you for a special price

Comment

Lenses (some cr*p and others not too bad):
      Care to indicate which are the cr*p ones?

but find a couple of Canon compact cameras indispensable for food/plane shots.
      After my IXUS40, I decided to go with a Sony T10, and it goes about with me along with the DSLR as well. Indeed a P/S is necessary for some settings. The T10 has a great magnifying function with like a 5mm focusing distance, which is great for taking food pics really up close and 'faking' DoF w/ a P/S. I'm now tempted to get a Canon G9. We'll see!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        N_Architect:interesting to see you are gonna get the 5D when you use a 1D already, though.
        Having used the 40D and the 1D (1.6x and 1.33x crop respectively), I can't really wait to use a full frame. And the 5D II should produce absolutely stunning images... Tried the original 5D before purchasing the 1D (July 2006, Japan), but got the latter because of the solid construction and handling.

However, when you try to choose which lens to use, it's a bit of a hassle. Full frame is full frame. Period. No conversions, no nothing. An EF50/1.4 is a 50mm lens on a FF dslr, i.e. what it is supposed to be. On the 1D MkII it's a 65mm, on the 40D a 80mm lens... Then you also need a wide angle lens. More difficult if you have a crop dslr. Yes, you can use the EF-S 10-22 (paging phaleesy) but the low max aperture does not help much in difficult lighting conditions.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        OMG.... look at all those red lined cylindrical objects! A tilt shift too!
        Took that shot more than a year ago. The one on the far right (in it's black case) is the Sigma 15mm fisheye. The tilt-shift is not easy to use, it is for special applications only, as is the fisheye of course. Some of these lenses are very good on the 8.2Mpx 1D. On the 5D II they'll simply take your breath away, I guarantee that...

Comment

Indeed a P/S is necessary for some settings.
          I used to think so as well especially on airplanes, nowadays, I don't care anymore ). Most other pax think that you're a first time flyer when you're taking pics fervently on a plane anyway so I might as well look like a first time flyer who's at least trying to get her pictures taken the best possible way

Other times i'll just lug a handbag that'll fit the DSLR in

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
            And if anyone wants tips, just ask. Will post if I know the answer or if I can redirect you where you may be able to find it.
            Cool... don't mind if I do pick your brain on taking photos on a cloudy day. That's my bugbear and I know there's not a whole lot one can do when lighting sucks due to an overcast sky. But is there any way to alleviate the problem of overblown skies and underexposed subjects/scenery? I suppose that's what ND filters are for? I haven't bought any filters yet - the annoyances of having lens with different diameters.

Most important tip: shut off your pc, take your camera, get out and keep shooting, keep experimenting.
            That's what I keep telling myself.... 'cept sleep invariably gets in the way and I'm never up early enough to do those morning shots I want!

SQFlyergirl - great thread topic!

Comment

I used to think so as well especially on airplanes, nowadays, I don't care anymore ). Most other pax think that you're a first time flyer when you're taking pics fervently on a plane anyway so I might as well look like a first time flyer who's at least trying to get her pictures taken the best possible way

I get the stares when I take my 1d out for tr shots on board the aircraft regardless of travel class.

Comment

Shame you can't mount that on the 5D. Am more than happy to take the 10-22 off you for a special price
                It mounts very nicely on the 400D. It's an excellent lens - I've read that apart from being an EF-S lens, everything else about it is L class. I'm not sure about the build quality though - phaleesy dropped the lens and the electronics inside broke (but luckily Canon UK fixed it without a problem even though we bought it in Japan).

Care to indicate which are the cr*p ones?
                The EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 which came with the 400D is really cheap and plasticy. The EF 100-300 f/5.6 L which I bought many years ago is very sharp but heavy, slow, the front rotates, it's a push-pull zoom which slides if you point it downwards and the focusing is slow. The Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS is large, heavy and given its white colour, is rather conspicuous.

Comment

A "crop" camera is one that is not full frame, i.e. it has a sensor size smaller that the normal FF DSLR sensor. The 300/350/400/450 EOS series as well as the 30/40/50D series is a 1.6 crop type. In other words, if you mount any lens on these bodies, the equivalent focal length will be the focal length of the lens times 1.6. So a 35mm lens becomes a 45.5mm lens on the 1D (but not on the 1Ds, which is FF) or a 56mm length lens on the (say) 40D.

More here:
                  http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/crop-factor.htm

Comment

Heh. That's what's on my shopping list, a nice handbag that comfortably holds my DSLR+prime too! But the P/S is great for odd angles, and when one only has 1 hand to quickly snap a shot on the go.

Comment

It mounts very nicely on the 400D. It's an excellent lens - I've read that apart from being an EF-S lens, everything else about it is L class.
                      I love the 10-22mm, indeed it's a fantastic lens and I use it a lot.

The EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 which came with the 400D is really cheap and plasticy.
                      Yes, I thought the 18-55 would be one of them! I have the IS version from the 450D and haven't used it since I bought the UWA and prime.

I'm shopping about for a telephoto next, and weight is consideration. As it is carrying UWA and prime drive me batty, I've never liked getting weighed down with stuff when I'm out.

Comment

What do others take when out and about generally ?
                        Good question and always a puzzle before a long trip. Under the current set of equipment, I will either take the 1D MkII with the 35/1.4L on or the 40D with the 28/1.8 on. Either of these will give me a camera/lens combo with a 'normal eye perspective', i.e 50mm.

Then I need a wide angle option. This used to be the 10-22 mounted on the 40D, but I sold it to a friend few months ago. Now I want to get the 14/2.8L II, but it's $2k, so why not get the 5D II instead for an extra 1k... The compact Ricoh GX100 is therefore temporarily used so far for wides. Good and easy to carry...

1D MkII N and EF35/1.4L, focusing on the half-filled glass. Note the shallow dept-of-field. F1.4, 1/64, ISO 400.

The tilt-shift - not used much; the fisheye - good but you need FF and knowledge where to use it; the 70-200 - excellent, warm colours, rocks on the fast-autofocus 1D, but big & heavy, attracts attention, hence rarely used.
                        Last edited by N_Architect; 11 November 2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

But is there any way to alleviate the problem of overblown skies and underexposed subjects/scenery? I suppose that's what ND filters are for? I haven't bought any filters yet - the annoyances of having lens with different diameters.
                          I'm not big on filters. But each person may have a different opinion. Truth is I have not played around with filters much. So far I have mostly been using filters for protection only.

Some info here:
                          http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

Point is to get good light in the first place. Light is everything. Harsh or not clear ambient lighting does not help at all. And good (but discreet) post processing always helps, in combination with the actual filter you may have on your lens.

Comment

One Nikon D80 here, seems like there are alot of Canon users around.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                              One Nikon D80 here, seems like there are alot of Canon users around.
                              True, but this is why we'll try to focus on sharing photo tips & techniques rather than talking about equipment. I am sure all the others will agree with me on this.

And, yes, great thread, SQFG.

Comment

But is there any way to alleviate the problem of overblown skies and underexposed subjects/scenery? I suppose that's what ND filters are for? I haven't bought any filters yet - the annoyances of having lens with different diameters.
                                Have a look at this link regarding the use of ND and GND filters.

Want is a GND filter, so the top half of the image can be stepped down to prevent overexposure, while bottom half can be exposed correctly. ND filter more for use (with stacking also) if you want a very long exposure on a bright scene, e.g. waterfall shot in bright daylight, so you need to step down the entire shot.

I don't think you need these kind of filters for all lenses, for e.g. 95% of telephoto shots will not require this, but >50% of landscape shots might. Also best to buy the GND filters which are not the "screw in" type, but rather get those which can drop into the Cokin holder, so you can play around freely with the horizon if you need to. The Cokin holder is very cheap, so essentially you only need one piece of glass per GND filter type.

Comment

Working...
                                X