Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AVML now officially known as Indian/Hindu Veg meal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVML now officially known as Indian/Hindu Veg meal!

AVML used to mean : Asian vegetarian - which is within asia. But in the UK, Asian means indian. So the confusion started there. I wandered why at one point why my AVML tastes Chinese ex-HK but Indian when I leave from UK.

So VOML was 'invented' which stands for Vegetarian Oriental Meal - meaning its made to cater to Oriental / Chinese tastes.

So there you have it now... AVML is now Hindu vegetarian, VOML is Oriental (Chinese) vegetarian, HNML is Hindu meal (with meat).

===

PS - this affects all airlines and not just SQ.

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
    But in the UK, Asian means indian.
    Says who ?. Indian food is now the most popular food in the UK (apparently. before someone jumps in...), and people are well aware of where India is and the food they produce.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      Says who ?. Indian food is now the most popular food in the UK (apparently. before someone jumps in...), and people are well aware of where India is and the food they produce.
      Doesn't happen often, but I agree with Guy Betsy on this one. The term "asian" in the UK is used mostly (well, more often than anywhere else I've lived) to refer to belong to the south asian subcontinent, so by extension the asian meal causes confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
        Doesn't happen often, but I agree with Guy Betsy on this one. The term "asian" in the UK is used mostly (well, more often than anywhere else I've lived) to refer to belong to the south asian subcontinent, so by extension the asian meal causes confusion.
        You must know some really silly people then , cos nobody I know thinks that way. Must be all those shandy drinking smog dwellers in that village on the Thames.

Comment

I do think the UK is being rather unfairly blamed on this one. It would seem to me to just be about the wide variety of food covered by the term Asian and needing to be a bit more specific. It is not too surprising considering the popularity of Indian food in the UK that they are more likely to provide that style of Asian food leaving the UK to try to appeal to as many customers as possible.

Now if they start having to specify which type of curry then that would be the UK's fault as definitely in the UK if you say curry people will fist and foremost think of an Indian style curry.

Comment

I always thought SQ did the meal like this
            AVMLI - Asian Vegetarian Meal Indian - This one I know was the case at least, since thats the only meal I order
            AVMLO - Asian Vegetarian Meal Oriental

Comment

Originally posted by E-Aviation View Post
              I always thought SQ did the meal like this
              AVMLI - Asian Vegetarian Meal Indian - This one I know was the case at least, since thats the only meal I order
              AVMLO - Asian Vegetarian Meal Oriental
              Special meal codes are only 4 letters long!

Comment

ON MH it used to be
                IVML - Indian veg meal
                OVML - Oriental veg meal
                HNML - Hindu Meal ( No Beef)

Comment

My experience recently on Lufthansa still served me indian veg dishes on both short and long haul sector although I have requested VOML.

Comment

Originally posted by j.lin View Post
                    My experience recently on Lufthansa still served me indian veg dishes on both short and long haul sector although I have requested VOML.
                    Did you call in to request this? It can be some res agents do not know that AVML and VOML are two different meals and just think that when you asked for Oriental vegetarian that they still put in AVML ! Did you see what the sticker on your tray said?

Comment

Yup. But I went in to double check on my e-tkt and it was reflected as VOML. Nevertheless, it tasted great

Comment

Working...
                      X