No announcement yet.

When a UA flight is overbooked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the end of the day he was refusing instructions from the Police. What do people expect will happen?

Comment

I doubt the deadheading crew causing all this mayhem even made it in time to operate their flight(s) out of Louisville

Comment

While this incident was mishandled at each step of the way by different parties, I think what turned this from the usual transient media circus into a full blown PR crisis was the way United management and their CEO, through their initial public and internal communications, did little to acknowledge that a passenger was treated in a very inhumane and uncalled for manner.

At the point when the gut-wrenching video of a fare paying passenger being dragged unconscious through the aisle was first circulating, a little EQ and sympathy would have gone a long way.
        Last edited by yflyer; 12 April 2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

As the resident UA HATER and American, you KNEW I was going to chime in here :

Originally posted by Stratoliner777 View Post
          This is making headlines across the US and internationally getting attention too.
          Actually, it is the #1 trending item in China as there was a pseudo link to racism.

Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
          Oh, didnt know they were gonna operate another sector. Well that makes sense then to give them priority.
          NOT when the plane has already been boarded and seats assigned.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
          They've even been trolled by a dictionary.
          This was funny.

Originally posted by fone View Post
          To put it more objectively, UA wanted to him off the plane, it was the police with the violence. Everywhere I'm reading, UA is being blamed for the violence, which would not have happened if he obeyed instructions to exit the plane.

Booting 4 paying passengers, for potentially a few plane loads of passengers that this crew is going to take. Crews also fall sick when they are outstation. I'd believe SQ would also IDB paying passengers to cover up for all these crew shortfall, if necessary.
          UA was the one who phoned the police. UA was the one who demanded David Dao be deplaned.

The trouble is, he was NOT denied boarding -- HE HAD ALREADY BOARDED AND WAS ASSIGNED A SEAT. Under the Contract of Carriage, this is not addressed at all. The legal ramifications for UA are enormous.

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
          At the end of the day he was refusing instructions from the Police. What do people expect will happen?
          Actually, he was asserting his right under the Contract of Carriage. It should have never been escalated to police. UA should have handled it. They didn't even up the $800 or $1000 offer. Many times, there are offers of $2000.

The other interesting thing is the sheep on the plane. Not ONE OF THEM offered to take his place and deplane.

While this incident was mishandled at each step of the way by different parties, I think what turned this from the usual transient media circus into a full blown PR crisis was the way United management and their CEO, through their public and internal communications, did little to acknowledge that a passenger was treated in a very inhumane and uncalled for manner.

At the point when the gut-wrenching video of a fare paying passenger being dragged unconscious through the aisle was circulating, a little EQ and sympathy would have gone a long way.
          This is how UA runs its operation.

This thread should be merged with http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15749 with the latter as the primary as it is in the right place. Come on, CarbonMan!
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            As the resident UA HATER and American, you KNEW I was going to chime in here :
            Was wondering when you were going to jump in...

Comment

Was wondering when you were going to jump in...

A further explanation of UA's violation of their own Contract of Carriage:

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/unit...ing-passenger/
              HUGE AL

Comment

It gets WORSE....

http://www.latimes.com/business/laza...412-story.html

United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' traveler

Comment

Good grief! So apparently treating someone as if they were a criminal is now part of "first class" treatment.

Here is something that stands out:

Julia Underwood, a business professor at Azusa Pacific University, said United’s actions in both the dragged-off-the-plane episode and with Fearns reflect a coldhearted mindset utterly devoid of compassion for customers.

“They’re so locked into their policies, there’s no room for empathy,” she said.

As a result, Underwood said, situations that should be manageable spiral out of control and result in unnecessarily messy PR disasters.

Comment

What is interesting is the number of posts on SQ's Facebook page asking what SQ will do in the event of an overbooking and for SQ to not be like United, or to kick United out of Star Alliance.

Comment

This thread should be merged with http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15749 with the latter as the primary as it is in the right place. Come on, CarbonMan!
                      Mr HUGE, just to be clear this thread was started a whole 12 hours before that one. Now I know your nick doesn't quite apply to your eyes either.

UA needs to be much more social media aware. It took a whole 4% drop in their share price before the CEO comes up with a more apologetic statement. They only understand capitalism.
                      Last edited by CarbonMan; 12 April 2017, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                        What is interesting is the number of posts on SQ's Facebook page asking what SQ will do in the event of an overbooking and for SQ to not be like United, or to kick United out of Star Alliance.
                        That Facebook thing is hilarious. As the founding member and largest, there is less than 1% chance that UA would get kicked out.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                        Mr HUGE, just to be clear this thread was started a whole 12 hours before that one. Now I know your nick doesn't quite apply to your eyes either.
                        This fixation you have on my size is troubling. UA is NOT "Other Airlines" -- the thread should be where the other one is. I know you know this.

For YOUR eyes, I have requoted what I wrote:

...it is in the right place.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

This fixation you have on my size is troubling. UA is NOT "Other Airlines" -- the thread should be where the other one is. I know you know this.

For YOUR eyes, I have requoted what I wrote:
                          You're right, of course! Teach me never to reply while trying to eat my lunch.

Comment

UA May Have Smeared the Wrong David Dao

First off: SWEET! We got the merge!

Today's news -- and Twitter Storm -- reported that UA's smear campaign may have target the wrong "David Dao."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7680221.html

And then there was Oscar's appearance on Good Morning America where CLEARLY UA is in crisis mode:

https://youtu.be/90jSUe_vdhM

My thoughts: perhaps USA carriers should pay their people more, get rid of the unions, and up the staff count. It is now commonplace to have ONE person running the flight at a gate. That is utterly ridiculous and puts so much pressure on that individual to board and push the plane out on time.

And the interviewer should have referenced the legal fact that the is nothing in UA's Contract of Carriage regarding a passenger who has boarded and been assigned a seat.

Oscar subsequently stated that all passengers on Flight 3411 will receive full refunds (though at this point, no one knows whether that is just for the segment or the entire one way trips).
                            HUGE AL

Comment

The lawyers have started to weigh in.

Comment

This United issue will hopefuly serves as a lesson for all airlines including those in this region and also for airport operators. And that airport police like our local SATS or AETOS working at the airport do not get involved with airline and their issues with passengers on overbooking and forceful removal of passengers. The Chicago airport police is under fire and is reviewing this too and United have said it will not use police to get its passengers off aircraft. This should be the way and the airlines will have to speak and negotiate with the passengers if the airline need to remove the passenger(s) and come to a amicable settlement. Airport police officers should never be involved with such commercial incidents, unless of course its due to threat factors like unruly passengers or passengers who are a threat to flight safety.
                                Last edited by flyguy; 16 April 2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X