No announcement yet.

No longer able to upgrade from Y to J?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No longer able to upgrade from Y to J?

Just booked a return flexi fare from MEL to LHR, with the intention to use miles to upgrade to Business on the return leg, but now can only upgrade to PEY?!

The flexi fares are already expensive enough, and now they're taking away the ability to upgrade directly to business?? Or is there something I'm missing?

Does this mean that we now have to spend the ridiculous PEY fares in order to upgrade to J?

I apologise if this has been brought up several times before.

Very disappointed.

You still can upgrade from Economy to Business. It is clearly on the website.

http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...radeCharts.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
      You still can upgrade from Economy to Business. It is clearly on the website.

http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...radeCharts.pdf
      I'm afraid not. In the fine print: "Upgrade award tickets are offered on a one-class upgrade basis. Upgrades from Economy Class to Business Class are only applicable to flights without Premium Economy Class. Please check the classes available on the flight before making a redemption."

Comment

Half correct But VERY annoying!!

You can now only upgrade from Economy to Business when there is NO Premium Economy on that aircraft.

On aircraft where there IS Premium Economy, you can only upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy OR from Premium Economy to Business.

The major problem arises when you have a route like Brisbane to Paris where you can no longer upgrade AT ALL! Because the first flight does not have Premium Economy but the second flight DOES! Thus, there is no possible way to even do an upgrade on that routing (and many others in the network).

I complained to Singapore Airlines months ago, but to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by maestro View Post
          Half correct But VERY annoying!!

You can now only upgrade from Economy to Business when there is NO Premium Economy on that aircraft.

On aircraft where there IS Premium Economy, you can only upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy OR from Premium Economy to Business.

The major problem arises when you have a route like Brisbane to Paris where you can no longer upgrade AT ALL! Because the first flight does not have Premium Economy but the second flight DOES! Thus, there is no possible way to even do an upgrade on that routing (and many others in the network).

I complained to Singapore Airlines months ago, but to no avail.
          Interesting, because mySQupgrade allows you to bid cash for just one leg of a journey with PE on one leg but not both... may be a bug in the system rather than a deliberate decision!

Comment

Have not done upgrades with miles for a long time. If I really want a business (or first class for that matter) experience and have limited miles, I just do a one way redemption on that class and then buy a very cheap economy airfare in the other direction back - perhaps on another airline - this often works out to be a more affordable option than trying to buy a flexible and upgrade-able economy ticket

Comment

Originally posted by Airtropolis View Post
              Have not done upgrades with miles for a long time. If I really want a business (or first class for that matter) experience and have limited miles, I just do a one way redemption on that class and then buy a very cheap economy airfare in the other direction back - perhaps on another airline - this often works out to be a more affordable option than trying to buy a flexible and upgrade-able economy ticket
              I second this. It is probably more worth it - monetary wise. And I will redeem ex-SIN and get a cheap one way ticket to SIN. One ways out of SIN can be ex.

Comment

Have a one-way paid ticket on DEL-SIN-XXX in Y. Wanted to do a paid upgrade of the DEL-SIN to J but the SQ ticketing in SIN and DEL both said it is not possible and the paid upgrade must be done for both sectors. Per sector upgrade can only be done using miles. Is it true that paid upgrade cannot be done for just a single sector for a one-way flight?
                My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

I wanted a (paid) PE booking MEL-IST in June next year. MEL-SIN was fine, but there is no PE on the SIN-IST flight, so I was booked into Y. Now I have enough points to upgrade that to J, but was told I have to waitlist. Yet when I search for that flight I see that J seats are available, with no "only x seats left" limitation.

Does SQ allow upgrades from Y to J only for a limited number of seats on each flight? I know I'm looking a long way ahead, but is there anything I can or should be doing to facilitate achieving the upgrade? Is it perhaps worth phoning again in case I get a more favourable from a different SQ person? I am KF Silver: does that help at all?

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                    Have a one-way paid ticket on DEL-SIN-XXX in Y. Wanted to do a paid upgrade of the DEL-SIN to J but the SQ ticketing in SIN and DEL both said it is not possible and the paid upgrade must be done for both sectors. Per sector upgrade can only be done using miles. Is it true that paid upgrade cannot be done for just a single sector for a one-way flight?
                    I suspect the reason that is is because the fare is actually between DEL and XYZ, and SIN is basically a stopover point. If you only wanted to refare one sector, they would need to split your ticket into a combination of two fares - DEL-SIN and SIN-XYZ, which would probably end up being much more expensive anyway. In any case, I'm not even sure those two fares are combinable, which makes it a moot point.

Comment

Working...
                    X