Confirmed : SQ to start flights to DUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed : SQ to start flights to DUS

So apparently news from the vineyard (in Germany) is that a press conference by the Düsseldorf Airport authorities would announce SIN as a destination from Summer 2016...

And the press conference will be on Monday, 9 November 2015.

While I'm rather surprised, given it's a 1-hour ICE train ride from FRA to the centre of Düsseldorf, the idea I could fly 1-stop from MEL to DUS on SQ is pretty exciting.

I listen to local news bulletins out of Düsseldorf several times a day so I'll be scanning for anything announced. LH has all but deserted DUS, converting virtually all operations to EW and given they cut MUC-SIN because they couldn't compete with SQ's superior product and service, I'm sure it won't be LH.

It doesn't actually say it will be SQ, but the language used rules out a LCC. AB operate an 11.5 hour flight DUS-CUN with an A332 and it is their second biggest hub so I wonder if they might be the airline, rather than SQ. Can't say I'd want to spend that long in a 15yo A330 though...

Comment

DUS would be a strange one, CX have just started flying there. It would be bizarre for them to both start flying there at the same time after all these years.

They need to decouple MUC from MAN and start going nonstop to both of them as standalone's.

Comment

That would be awesome! Hopfefully with a big launch party for PPS members.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          DUS would be a strange one, CX have just started flying there. It would be bizarre for them to both start flying there at the same time after all these years.

They need to decouple MUC from MAN and start going nonstop to both of them as standalone's.
          CX doesn't really make sense either. They only fly to two German cities and they are in such close proximity to each other.

The airline that makes sense is NH. Even though they also fly to FRA and MUC, DUS has a greater connection with Japan than any other German city.

Comment

I think SQ really needs to up its game in Europe. If they don't conduct any move to rebalance their position vis-à-vis the ME3, the market erosion will make SQ become less and less relevant in the Australia-Europe traffic.

Having DUS (and possibly, HAM in the future) would be a good way to boost its German presence. GVA might also be a good choice with business traffic from the Grand Genève catchment area of France and Switzerland.

I was previously under the impression that ARN, OSL, and VIE might be good destinations for a potential pivot to Europe, but I think the Singapore Airlines Group might be better off sending TZ to do SIN - BKK/HKT - ARN/OSL/VIE instead.

Comment

IMHO many important fairs held at DUS and lots of our fellas in Indonesia visit all year long. Currently served by EK , EI , QR with poor connection. It will be a good move by SQ.

Comment

Germany certainly has a strong culture of trade fairs and getting from FRA to DUS, while reasonably quick, is really annoying.

If you go by train it's a 15 min. adventure to get to the Fernbahnhof and then you can't advance book any seats because you can never be sure of exactly which train you will manage to connect with. Connecting using an LH flight is foul. Most of the time is spent being crammed onto one solitary bus and taken out to the most distant tarmac spot they can possibly find at FRA.

I can see how direct flights would really appeal to business customers who need to visit often and that's what will fill the front half of the plane after all. The only thing the announcement from DUS needs to detail, other than who the airline is, is what they plan to do to improve their facilities because they are pretty basic. With LH deserting DUS almost entirely, their Senator Lounge isn't exactly up to SQ's normal standards. The security area of Terminal A leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Comment

The SQ pressconference is today.
                  I can only dream about a nice SKL in DUS . That would be perfect.

Comment

Confirmed!

from press release

09 November 2015 - Düsseldorf will become the third German city in Singapore Airlines’ route network next year, when non-stop flights are introduced from Singapore. Flights are to be launched on 21 July 2016 using the all-new Airbus A350-900, which will be the latest addition to the Airline’s fleet.

Subject to regulatory approval, flight SQ338 will depart Singapore on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 2330hrs (local time). The return sector, operated as flight SQ337, will depart Düsseldorf on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays at 1130hrs (local time). SIA intends to increase frequency at a later date.

“Flights to Düsseldorf will complement our existing services to Europe, and be served by all-new Airbus A350-900s fitted with Singapore Airlines’ latest cabin products. With this addition, Singapore Airlines will serve the three largest airports in Germany, including Frankfurt and Munich,” said Singapore Airlines’ Senior Vice President Marketing Planning, Ms Lee Wen Fen.

Düsseldorf is the capital of the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It is the most populous of the 16 federal states in Germany, bordering Belgium and the Netherlands. In addition to being an international business, manufacturing and financial centre, it is also a leading fashion centre that is well known for trade fairs. With the new flights, Singapore Airlines will serve Germany with 38 weekly services. This includes twice-daily flights between Singapore and Frankfurt, daily flights between Frankfurt and New York, daily flights between Singapore and Munich, and daily flights between Munich and Manchester.

Customers will be able to enjoy the Airline’s latest-generation cabin products on the new A350-900 aircraft. This includes all-new Business, Premium Economy and Economy class seats, as well as the world’s most advanced in-flight entertainment system. Ticket sales for the new Düsseldorf flights will be made available for sale through our various distribution channels on a progressive basis.

Singapore Airlines has 67 A350-900s on firm order, the first of which is due for delivery early in 2016.

Flight Schedules

Flight Number
                    Days of Operation
                    Time of Departure
                    Time of Arrival

SQ338
                    SIN-DUS
                    Monday,
                    Thursday,
                    Saturday
                    2330hrs
                    0630hrs (+1)

SQ337
                    DUS-SIN
                    Tuesday,
                    Friday,
                    Sunday
                    1130hrs
                    0610hrs (+1)

Comment

the title should be changed as it is no longer a rumour. I think Arlanda and edinburgh would make a good destination.

Comment

I thought the A359 would be used to replace the 772ER on existing long-haul routes first, but great that they decided to use it to open DUS in 2016! Is it SQ's first new destination since GRU?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                          I thought the A359 would be used to replace the 772ER on existing long-haul routes first, but great that they decided to use it to open DUS in 2016! Is it SQ's first new destination since GRU?
                          It most certainly is! Rumor has it DUS will not be the only new destination launched in 2016..

Comment

If OSL is on the cards, the airport really needs to expand and improve its international (non-schengen) area, especially the immigration queues for incoming flights.
                            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

SQ has already indicated that they will not expand beyond CPH in northern Europe in the short term, so we should not be seeing OSL coming up anytime soon.

On the other hand, I really hope they will get to separate MUC and MAN soon instead of doing limited stops like currently they are doing with the A359-900 in addition to adding the new DUS service.

Comment

Working...
                              X