Jogging/Cycling along Changi Coast Road and Tanah Merah Coast Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Coast Park from above and below...

Just flew home on SQ607 ICN-SIN yesterday. This was a great opportunity to snap more pictures of the East Coast jogging/cycling route from the Seafood Centre / Cable-ski lagoon area right to Changi Coast Road / Park Connector to Changi Beach Park.

And not long after landing, after 6 hours sitting in a metal tube, I couldn't resist heading out for a run along that same park...

So what follows is a view from above, as well as from below...

The past few weeks, aircraft arriving into SIN have been mostly approaching Changi Airport from the South, landing at either 02L or 02C, and this gives great views to those on the window seats on the left side (i.e. the "A" side) of aircraft on final approach.

This was the case for SQ607 yesterday, which landed at about 2.35pm yesterday. Great approach into Singapore with nice views of the shipping and coastline to be had out the left side, except that it was a fairly hazy day, which meant that the Singapore Flyer, Marina Bay Sands and city skyline were mostly obscured by the haze on the way in.

Last edited by yflyer; 27 April 2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Much better views as we approached the East Coast of Singapore. Here we see the East Coast Seafood Centre on the left, and the cable ski lagoon, which is a good starting point for a run/cycle along the coast.

Another view of the cable ski lagoon, and the roof of the hawker centre on the right of the lagoon, where there is a large parking lot (and nearby bike rental).

Last edited by yflyer; 30 March 2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Heading east from the lagoon, you soon pass Bedok jetty. It is well worth taking a detour up the jetty where you have a wonderful vantage point, at the end of the jetty, to take in views of the coastline, the city in the the distance, to the West, as well as aircraft on final approach into Changi.

Comment

As mentioned previously, jogging or cycling along this stretch of East Coast Park, and the Coastal Park Connector towards Changi Coast Road, gives you great views of aircraft on approach.

From SQ607 I could clearly see the stretch of East Coast Park where I am often pounding the pavement, looking up at the aircraft...

and...

A few hours later, here I was running along the track, looking up at another SQ A330 on final approach, retracing the path I was on earlier that day...

Last edited by yflyer; 27 April 2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Along the coastline, you eventually pass right under the approach path to 02L...

Bear in mind that these are iPhone wide-angle shots...objects in the photo are closer than they appear :-)

Last edited by yflyer; 30 March 2014, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Further on, there is a wonderful stretch of the Coastal Park connector, just past the NSRCC Sailing Centre, that takes you along a vegetation covered beach, right under the approach path to 02C, before you hit the Coast Road.

Last edited by yflyer; 31 March 2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

And after all that to whet your appetite for plane-spotting, you hit Changi Coast Road itself, a 5+ km stretch of straight road extending what seems like to infinity, alongside 02C, where you get to race (on foot, or by bike) the many aircraft constantly taking off and landing on the runway alongside.

The Park Connector alongside the Changi Coast Road runs along the airport perimeter on the far right hand side of the picture above.

Most folks do this route on bicycles, but for the ultimate runners' (and plane spotters') high, do it on foot. A great way to run!
                Last edited by yflyer; 27 April 2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing ! Have no been able to run there yet but on a clear day there's obviously some nice spotting points !

Comment

Great pics, yflyer!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                      Great pics, yflyer!
                      Thanks, CarbonMan!

Originally posted by Durian View Post
                      Awesome pics, thanks for sharing ! Have no been able to run there yet but on a clear day there's obviously some nice spotting points !

You are welcome, Durian! Yes, many great viewing spots along the route. And if you end your cycle/run at Changi Village, the other great payoff is the wonderful F&B available there...

Comment

I went for a run along Changi Coast Road again earlier this evening, and ended my run at Changi Beach Park (at Changi Point, the north eastern tip of Singapore).

Changi Beach Park is a beautiful park, along a nice stretch of coastline. Scenic, windy and a great place to watch planes as they are landing.

The wind was blowing in the opposite direction from the last few times I was there, so for part of the late afternoon, so planes were landing towards the South on runway 20C, which made it perfect for watching planes on final approach from the park.

Here are some pictures of aircraft landing, taken from the cycling/jogging track near Changi Beach Park.

Etihad A330-200

SQ A330-300

SQ 777

I missed a shot of an Air Niugini 767 because my iPhone rang just as I was about to snap the picture...
                        Last edited by yflyer; 27 April 2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

cool pics yflyer! i'm jealous of your view; on the opposite West Coast Park of the island where I do my runs, i only get to see military planes, and then only when there are massive exercises going on: past few weeks has seen C-130s making circuitous runs. Abt the only worth matching yours will be the lead-up to National Day Parades when we get to see Chinooks underslinging the huge flag circling off WCP for the cue to fly into the parade.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                            cool pics yflyer! i'm jealous of your view; on the opposite West Coast Park of the island where I do my runs, i only get to see military planes, and then only when there are massive exercises going on: past few weeks has seen C-130s making circuitous runs. Abt the only worth matching yours will be the lead-up to National Day Parades when we get to see Chinooks underslinging the huge flag circling off WCP for the cue to fly into the parade.
                            Thanks, jammed!

West Coast Park is nice too. And you also have Henderson Waves and Mt Faber close by...nice trails there as well.

Comment

A few sundays ago, as I was not sure on how far it is, I rented a bicycle on EC park, only for 2 hours to go around the airport (I thought !)... did not realize how far the airport is and how long Changi Coast rd !
                              So I could not even reach Changi Beach as I had to return the bicyle
                              But on the way I still could see landings especially around this place called the Belly View Cafe, very inspired name

Comment

Originally posted by Durian View Post
                                A few sundays ago, as I was not sure on how far it is, I rented a bicycle on EC park, only for 2 hours to go around the airport (I thought !)... did not realize how far the airport is and how long Changi Coast rd !
                                So I could not even reach Changi Beach as I had to return the bicyle
                                But on the way I still could see landings especially around this place called the Belly View Cafe, very inspired name
                                Glad you made it to East Coast Park, Durian!

From the East Coast Seafood Centre (i.e. next to the the Cable Ski), it is about 5.5 km to Belly View Cafe at the NSRCC Sailing Centre, which is right under the approach to runway 02C, so that is a great place for plane spotting.

Another 1.5km further, and you would have hit the start of Changi Coast Road, parallel to runway 02C.

Yes, good to try it out by bike first. There are many more cyclists than joggers along that route!
                                Last edited by yflyer; 27 April 2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X