"First" Boarding Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "First" Boarding Question

When flying "First" if you arrive at the gate after general boarding has commenced, can you just proceed to the front of the cue to board or should you join the end of the line?

Thanks,

It depends on the airport of departure. Some airports (like SIN) board First passengers with Business & *G passengers. Some others board First before the rest (HKG) - by pulling your out of the Business/*G line, etc.

Comment

Others still, like BKK the times I've been there, announce priority boarding but don't enforce it, causing a disorganized crowd at the aerobridge.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

... but to actually answer the OP's question :

Originally posted by TurnLeft ThankYou! View Post
        When flying "First" if you arrive at the gate after general boarding has commenced, can you just proceed to the front of the cue to board or should you join the end of the line?
        I'd be very surprised if having pushed to the front of the queue (enduring whatever comments or looks there may be from other pax), the gate agents don't let you board straightaway if you let them know you're travelling in F.

Comment

As an aside, I find that a perk of travelling in J/F is the fact that I can (and do) board at the last moment, e.g. if I arrive at the gate whilst there's a big queue, I can sit nearby and leisurely sit and wait until the queue disappears before I stroll over to board.

Boarding early if sat in Y means that you get the chance of stowing your bags in the available space before others do so but if in J/F, there shouldn't be any problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            ... but to actually answer the OP's question :

I'd be very surprised if having pushed to the front of the queue (enduring whatever comments or looks there may be from other pax), the gate agents don't let you board straightaway if you let them know you're travelling in F.
            Again, in BKK: What queue? What gate agent controlling the boarding process?
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              As an aside, I find that a perk of travelling in J/F is the fact that I can (and do) board at the last moment, e.g. if I arrive at the gate whilst there's a big queue, I can sit nearby and leisurely sit and wait until the queue disappears before I stroll over to board.

Boarding early if sat in Y means that you get the chance of stowing your bags in the available space before others do so but if in J/F, there shouldn't be any problem.
              It is interesting how different people take different approaches to this. For me, one of the best perks of flying in J/F and/or having elite status is being able to board first. Of course being able to stow bags in the limited overhead space is the main reason--and that can sometimes still be a problem even in J/F when flying North American airlines.

Comment

This is where airports like HKG are strong where they have separate queues for F/J and Y. I have even noticed there that if there is a queue for F/J if you have a F boarding pass they will normally take you straight ot the front of the queue.

Comment

As a few of you have mentioned, in economy i also strive to board as quick as possible cuz if i am travelling that class im usually with a few people = more bags =try to get to the space first. However on J/F, in Brisbane my local departure has a seperate lane for boarding of elites n J at our pleasure.

Comment

Just don't yell when pushing through that you're in F/J and expecting people to give way. Seen many of those.

Comment

I think what the OP is looking for is this:

In airports where there is only one common queue, ie. no dedicated queue for First (or for that matter Business/PPS/*A Gold), the previleged ones would be given priority to board. SIN works this way. However, if I arrived at the gate late, I wouldn't push my way through to the front. I would instead politely queue behind the Y pax. Charging forward is akin to flashing your PPS card to the FAs onboard, if some of you remember an earlier discussion.
                      My Cafe Adventures
                      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

At airports with single queues, I've been pulled to the front of queues by GAs when they spot my F or J BP. Alternatively, you could have a polite chat with the GA who'd then allow you to bypass the queue and have your BPs processed first.

Some lounge boarding calls are timed so well that there'd not be a single soul at the gate lounge area when you get there, like QF/BA at BKK or NZ at MEL.

Then there was this other time a GA in SIN saw my J BP, and dragged my arm, shoved through the other pax in front on the aerobridge, and yelled "Business Class, Business Class!" the whole way through. Twas VERY embarrassing....
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Goodness, I'll positively cringe and hide if they pull me through the crowd yelling my travel class. I would have expected some level of discreteness when travelling in premium classes.

Since you're already travelling in the premium class, one can always wait a while to let the queue clear a bit before strolling into the plane. No fuss and no muss. Unless the pre-departure drinks are that important to you.

Comment

Thankyou everyone

Wow! I did not realise my question was so full of controversy (spelling error)

The point of my question came from Dad & Mum.
                            As they are both novice international travelers (in fact never before left OZ) and have never flown in the first cabin and because of their elderly staus both are quite aprehensive and a little frightened.

Plus mum can't stay on her feet for long periods.

The other night dad watched a aussie tv show called border security and seen the lines to board an international flight, hence his concern.

I explained about the First lounge and how they would help and guide them before anyone else boards, but he can't see them both rushing to get on the plane first.

They both have no real idea about what they are about to embark on

Dad especially keeps thinking its just like a jetstar domestic BNE-MEL trip except longer. Its all he know's...
                            He only just got the internet this year... Hee he!
                            He has no idea, but he thinks he does.....

Cheers Colin.............

Comment

It is also always a good idea to check whether the lounge will announce boarding calls for your flight. Make sure your parents do not automatically assume that boarding calls will occur to avoid unnecessary stress and inconvenience.
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                              X