• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 hours in JFK. Go to Manhattan ?

MANflyer
    5 hours in JFK. Go to Manhattan ?
    « Thread Started on: Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:00pm »
    I would appreciate some advice from anyone about this. I went through JFK last year, but that was with a 90 minute connection from SQ26 to NH9 to NRT. Good job I only had hand luggage !.

I am on SQ26 again arriving at 1050 and depart for SFO on UA15 at 1540. Previous to the above SQ/NH transfer, I haven't arrived or departed from JFK for years, all my travel being through EWR. I am presuming that if SQ26 arrives on time I will have plenty time to spend a couple of leisurely hours in Manhattan.

Does anyone have any advice and/or warnings if I do this ?.

TIA

jjpb3
    Re: 5 hours in JFK. Go to Manhattan ?
    « Reply #1 on: Sep 23rd, 2006, 9:05pm »
    IIRC, the quickest it has taken me from touchdown to getting out of the cab in the Upper East Side was between 1 hour 15 minutes and 1 1/2 hours (but this was with a brief wait at baggage claim). The quickest it has taken me to get from midtown (East Side) to JFK has been about 40 minutes.

So in the best scenario, you'll have at best 3 hours to enjoy the city AND get through whatever circus UA checkin has in store for you. Risk-averse me would be tempted to forgo the trip into the city. (Well, unless I absolutely had to buy or eat something I prefer buying or eating in Manhattan. )

Kinda makes you miss Changi's efficiency, doesn't it?

MadameConcorde
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 01:36am »
    Hi MANflyer, I guess the fastest way for you to get from JFK to Downtown Manhattan would be the Subway. They can be quite sleezy at times... yet they would be the quickest way for you to Downtown.

Yet I don't know... The time it takes to get there and then going back... I am not sure I would risk it... two or three hours in the city are not much at all... You might regret not being able to spend more time and then think of all the trouble with TSA at the airport...

One way or the other, have a great trip!

shortfinals
    « Reply #3 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 09:07am »
    That one's a tricky one.. 5 hours isn't a whole lot. Me, I'd skip Manhattan. (even though I love it)

CGK
    « Reply #4 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 12:18pm »
    5 hours would not be worth it to go all the way to Manhattan. Why not take an earlier flight to SFO? There should be a 2pm flight I think. From T4 you have to take the airail to transfer to UA terminal. The RCC is nothing to talk about. You have to pay for your wifi. Don't forget to get the exit row 9 on UA PS flights. (I am assuming you are on CRTW) I think it's much more pleasant spending time at SFO than JFK UA Terminal.

MANflyer
    « Reply #5 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 6:02pm »
    Thanks for the replies. I suppose it depends how quick I get through immigration, and I would have to be able to check my luggage in immediately to make it worthwhile. I know it may be a rush, but Manhattan in Manhattan and I don't get as much time as I would like there. Just walking around the place is great !.

CGK, unfortunately the only earlier flight is at 1130, so I won't make that. I am actually on NZ7 SFO-AKL the following day so am only going over to SFO for a night before catching that. It is a CRTWSTAR ticket but Ms M was not sure what cabin I would be in. I presume the PS is just a 2 class flight* ?.

Pity the RCC is not much. Does it have views out over the tarmac ?.

*Just seen the seatmap and it's a 3 class so will be in J. Will try for row 9 !.

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2006, 8:09pm by MANflyer »

9V-JKL
    « Reply #6 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 10:21am »
    JFK to Manhattan is doable in 8 mins

http://www.flyush.com/

SQ TPP
    « Reply #7 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 2:14pm »
    on Sep 24th, 2006, 6:02pm, MANflyer wrote :
    I am actually on NZ7 SFO-AKL the following day so am only going over to SFO for a night before catching that.

Since your NZ flight is the next day, in tha case, why not flying on later flight from JFK to SFO, instead at 15:40, why not the one leaves two hours later? Thus, you have more time in Manhattan leisurely, not rushing. Unless you have a date in San Francisco that evening.

CGK
    « Reply #8 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 12:53pm »
    on Sep 24th, 2006, 6:02pm, MANflyer wrote :
    It is a CRTWSTAR ticket but Ms M was not sure what cabin I would be in. I presume the PS is just a 2 class flight* ?.

MANflyer,
    I stopped by at the office, and yes, I saw the staff was preparing sending your tix...
    Anyway, would you mind to let me know which date and which flight you are on for JFK-SFO (or your UA booking code)... Perhaps I could spare you the UA upgrade E-cert, so that you can be in the UA SpaceBeds and you can wait at the UA IFL at JFK which nothing to talk about, but at least free drinks...
Working...
X