X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 405: Pretty cool amateur short film about a crash landing on an LA freeway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvXhj0WFloM

The last bit is pretty funny...
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Oohh.. I saw this one before, very good for an amateur video.

On another note, I read somewhere that one of Singaporean expressway can become a airplane runway if needed, not sure if this is true or not.

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
      ......I read somewhere that one of Singaporean expressway can become a airplane runway if needed, not sure if this is true or not.
      It is the ECP shortly before you get to Changi airport. There is a section where it is straight for miles and the center dividers are removable.

There are similar setups in Taiwan where several sections of the highway could be used as runways. They even have drills once every few years where a section of the highway is closed and fighters would land, being serviced, and take off. I guess this is not surprising giving the close cooperation between their militaries.
      Last edited by TerryK; 30 August 2007, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
        On another note, I read somewhere that one of Singaporean expressway can become a airplane runway if needed, not sure if this is true or not.
        There's a stretch of the East Coast Parkway (the part with the plants along the divider in a wooden enclosure for ease of dismantling) which can be converted to an emergency airstrip for the Singapore Armed Forces/Air Force. Not sure whether it can handle commercial aircraft though.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
          There's a stretch of the East Coast Parkway (the part with the plants along the divider in a wooden enclosure for ease of dismantling) which can be converted to an emergency airstrip for the Singapore Armed Forces/Air Force. Not sure whether it can handle commercial aircraft though.
          ..but that fact is so well known that the enemy forces will target these locations.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
            ..but that fact is so well known that the enemy forces will target these locations.
            It is pretty difficult to hide a mile long straight highway from the air. It is just another obstacle the enemy has to deal with. OTOH, what enemy does Singapore have?

Comment

Ahh the ECP - joyous memories along with the wonderful AYE.

Umm, well let's just hope NParks is on standbye to remove the pot plants from the central divider :-P

Comment

Actually there is more than one such "runway" available in Singapore. Most people only know of the one along ECP.

Not only must the potted plants be removed, the lamp posts by the side must also be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                  Actually there is more than one such "runway" available in Singapore. Most people only know of the one along ECP.
                  Let's keep it that way. In this case the 'enemy' is the traffic police

Comment

there's one out near paya lebar airbase I think as well, it's the massive stretch of road with fene on one side and cemetery on the other if I recall correctly, and they were thought up when Indonesia and Malaysia were a bit more threatening than they are now (e.g. Konfrontasi and independence in 1965)

Comment

Working...
                    X