F1 Singapore Grand Prix 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Singapore Grand Prix 2008

With the race just 6 weeks away, is anyone flying in to SIN to watch the race?

I am... (although maybe not necessarily for the race)

Arriving from MEL on the 27th and i don't have a ticket to go home. Need to be in BKK on Monday morning so am free to attend the race otherwise

Comment

If you intend to catch it trackside, tickets I think are now hard to come by... I guess there are easily a few on eBay though.

Comment

Only 93% sold so far. You've still got a chance:
        http://www.singaporegp.sg/

The tickets themselves are actually very nice looking. Not your usual paper ones. I'll take a few pictures later tonight and post

Comment

I was going to go, but as soon as I saw the costs, that was the end of it. It's a shame that Hotels and others have seen this as an opportunity to fleece people rather than be happy with what is a great chance to showcase Singapore.

Will definitely watch it on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            Only 93% sold so far. You've still got a chance:
            http://www.singaporegp.sg/

The tickets themselves are actually very nice looking. Not your usual paper ones. I'll take a few pictures later tonight and post
            Plastic cards with neck straps

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
              I was going to go, but as soon as I saw the costs, that was the end of it. It's a shame that Hotels and others have seen this as an opportunity to fleece people rather than be happy with what is a great chance to showcase Singapore.

Will definitely watch it on TV.
              We had hotel representatives calling up / even visiting our office to offer us reduced rates because they can't sell their rooms as prices are too high. Even yesterday.

Would be happy to assist in getting one of these reduced rates if you prefer. Apparently there is a 'levy' during the GP being imposed by higher authorities, and the hotels also have to pass that on to the clientele.

One particularly silly rule about these rates is you're not allowed to bring guests to your hotel room (even if you book it). How in the world they are gonna try and enforce that on GP day though, I have no idea..

I should really eBay my apartment during that weekend...

Comment

at a reasonable rate, you could get a few takers.......no names being mentioned....*cough*
                As it is, I've been lucky enough to get a floor to sleep on at a friend of a friends, though that's apparently 30mins from the track.....still. needs must.
                I'll be landing on the 26th, my GP tickets are standard walkabout, so expect to see me around turn 7, 8 or 15......."I am the Stig's Fat Cousin" should help identify.......
                Impromptu SQTalk F1 Meet @ turn 8, opening lap?
                If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Javaman: That's the same weekend as the VIE DO, so my place will be vacant... hehe, pity not able to join the F1 Meet

Comment

An earlier thread about this:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4078

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      Javaman: That's the same weekend as the VIE DO, so my place will be vacant... hehe, pity not able to join the F1 Meet
                      I could swing by and feed the cats/water plants/turn the lights out/clean .....

On the price issue - it's only really the hotels. The GP tix aren't that bad I thought (given what you end up forking out in the UK....)
                      I haven't thought this through, I'm sure, but given the number of properties still showing availability, and, even allowing for alledged extra governmental charges, they will have to start dropping the rates if they want to fill up........
                      If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        We had hotel representatives calling up / even visiting our office to offer us reduced rates because they can't sell their rooms as prices are too high. Even yesterday.
                        Good, I am pleased to hear it. Maybe that will teach them not to abuse the situation next time.

The Government are making Hotels charge 30% 'F1 tax' on top of the triple/quadruple (whatever they have tried) Hotel costs, so they are as much to blame.

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
                        As it is, I've been lucky enough to get a floor to sleep on at a friend of a friends, though that's apparently 30mins from the track.....
                        30 minutes away ?, that could be Malaysia on a (very) good day.

Comment

wowsers.........30% tax? now who's profiteering? Though any sane person would conclude that tripling/quadrupling your rates is "sharp practice" (assuming we're being generous......though I think we'd prefer to call it "sticking it to joe public")

Malaysia.....well, the rest of my travels, I'm up in Shah Alam, so anywhere nearer would be a bonus......hopefully it's in SIN itself though. Somewhere.....lol. I've not been given the specifics yet - it's probably a park bench near the Flyer, so overnight stays courtesy of the local authorities........full board.......shame about the fines that accompany it no doubt......lol

Comment

30 minutes away ?, that could be Malaysia on a (very) good day.
                            and some say Batam.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
                              I'm up in Shah Alam
                              Ah 24 years of my life I lived there...... wantonly wasting away my youth

Comment

Working...
                              X