No announcement yet.

City hops on Qantas/Cathay Pacific/JAL/Singapore Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=KeithMEL;61314]I'm on the road again on my mid year vacation after a long semester. So it's time for another trip report! Reviews to come...

Whoa, that's some itinerary! Looking forward to reading them as you drip-feed your posts. A friend of mine stayed at the Elysian Villas in Seminyak, Bali, recently and loved it . The Seminyak area is really the place to be. Do you have a list of restaurants to check there? I know the restaurant scene in Seminyak quite well. If you need suggestions, just holler.

Comment

Originally posted by planemad View Post
      If you need suggestions, just holler.
      That'd be great mate, as I've not done research on the restos in Bali. First time there so I'm v excited - heard so much about the partying there from friends who've been.

This would be just the thread for your suggestions:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=eating

Thanks in advance!
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Wow... just wondering... where you get all the $$$$ to travel like this?
        A great way to fly!

Comment

Review of The Westin Auckland-Lighter Quay has been posted here.

Next: CX108 AKL-HKG J
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

CX108 AKL-HKG, 30JUN2008, Business Class: "Pinot noir? Is that red or white wine?"

Flight was delayed by one hour due to late arrival of the aircraft. At that point I began to be suspicious that the delays follow me... given that I don't have Heathrow or fog in London as excuses this time unlike my trip at the start of the year. To all the little Gremlins that set out to wreck my flight schedules - please let me the eff alone. To the rest of you, best to check my ba97 page and avoid every single one of those flights listed there. OTOH they did have sufficient supplies of Matua Valley pinot noir in the QP at AKL to keep me happy...

Unlike the day before, we boarded promptly at the revised boarding time. Was greeted at the door by Sharon, the very nice Malaysian ISM. The aircraft for this 2 class service used to be a 3 class 343 aircraft even though only 2 classes are ever sold but today it was only 2 classes, so no pseudo upgrade to FCL. Not sure if my lowly OW SPH status would've yielded such an upgrade anyway.

The status did however bring about some unexpected niceties, even though it wasn't a Cathay status. This refers to the benes which are over and above the published OW benefits, completely unnecessary but a perfectly nice touch. The stuff which other carriers reserve for their own elites. For starters, I was personally greeted by Sharon along with the other elites onboard, which ended with "welcome back to Cathay Pacific." It was a lovely gesture but I felt a bit guilty as they aren't normally my first choice of carriers.

Got NBC, and it was a 2-2-2 config again and so I'd yet again chosen a centre row aisle seat. I was invited by Sharon to move to an empty row by myself, so I'd ended up sitting in 15D with no one next to me. I'd have welcomed some company normally but the gentleman next to me in row 14 didn't seem v eager to engage in convo.

A rather comprehensive Agnes B amenity kit was given out. A good mate of mine is also a huge Agnes B fan so this would make a nice little gift I thought.

To my utter shame and horror, I failed to finish my glass of champagne prior to take off. But I am not particularly enamoured with Champagne Deutz either, it's far too citrusy for me and I just wish that Cathay would stick to Billecart-Salmon for all its flights.

Then the first bar service began, and I went for the sauvignon blanc, a nice Marlborough number. The Senior Purser couldn't confirm whether the canapes contained shellfish and so I had it swapped for (warm) nuts instead. Cathay seems to have improved its JCL wine list, it was still lacking in breadth unlike QF's v extensive selection but the stuff on offer were nonetheless fairly high quality and they were also serving the Palliser Estate pinot noir like on QF25 the day before. Perhaps this was a New Zealand flight and they'd felt like they should have a better wine list? I alternated between the sauv blanc and pinot for the entire flight.

Unfortunately any compliment I have for the wine list cannot be extended to the execution of said list. Whilst QF cabin crew regardless of seniority can often be seen actively making expert recommendations off the list and offering advice in pairing wines with meals, 2 of the Cathay crews I had on this flight could not even identify what I wanted when I asked for pinot noir or sauvignon blanc. And these were Pursers, the girls in red blouses and surely they must have had a certain level of seniority. I concede that Pursers on Cathay do not mean the same thing as and are far more junior in comparison to the FA designated as the Purser on say, BA - but these aren't the most junior FAs either. I must say this is all rather poor for an airline regarded by many as one of the world's best. I finally found it easier to reach for the wine list and point out what I wanted or wait for the SP to come around.

That little rant aside, the service on this flight was rather adequate. Both the SP and the ISM were v warm and personable; the Ps less so but nonetheless quite efficient.

The lunch service began shortly after the initial bar service. We were served in order of status. It is nice of CX to extend such courtesies to not only their elites but also elites from their OW partners, but I think I'd have felt awkward and a little embarrassed if I'd had a seat mate.

I had to skip the prawn entree, so went straight to the salad. Had the stir fried chicken with rice which was fragrant but was far too spicy for my palate, as it contained some chili bits. It did however pair well with the pinot noir which dulled the spice a little. The presentation hasn't changed and the main course still came in that casserole which I felt was rather lacking in refinement. The meal then concluded with a most delicious cheese plate.

The IFE had some gems which I'd missed on the big screen. I started with Jumper just because I've not watched Rachel Bilson since The OC had concluded, unfortunately she doesn't seem a particularly versatile actress and it was like watching Summer Roberts all over again. Then I went on to The Pelican Brief, and enjoyed the strong performances in The Other Boleyn Girl. I must confess - as much as I dislike any 'old world' decor, shun museums and art galleries, sleep through operas - I quite enjoy watching period Hollywood movies. Yes a great contradiction indeed. Also saw some of 27 Dresses before the IFE was turned off for landing.

Feeling weary I had a little nap after lunch. I found the NBC seat rather comfy for sleeping unlike other people, and didn't experience any wedgie effect. I woke up just as lights were turned on again for the refreshment service.

I'd thought that I must have been really out of it and had slept through the entire flight, but it turned out that the crew was performing the refreshment service just 2 hours after the main meal service on this 10hour and 40mins service... huh?? We had more than 6 hours left to go on the flight at that point. The service started with fruits which were more like dessert and tasted rather strange. The rissotto that came with the main course of chicken was tasty, as was the sticky date pudding.

The v odd timing of the refreshment left me hungry towards the end of the flight. I couldn't be bothered to hunt down a resto in Hong Kong as all I wanted to do was check in and hit the clubs (though it was a Sunday night the clubs would be pumping as Monday was a public holiday). The SP said he could offer wonton noodles for a pre-landing snack - as the wonton contained shrimp I simply asked for the noodles by themselves. They came beautifully presented in a cute little black bowl.

Full menu can be viewed here.

Despite the delayed take off the flight deck had managed to make up for some time along the way and we landed just 20 mins behind schedule. Overall a decent flight, aided by the excellent ISM and SP. However the rest of the crew were v clinical and I was disappointed with their 'deer in the headlight' reaction with the wines. So whilst an adequate flight on the whole (got fed - tick; did not puke - tick; got my booze - tick; got there in one piece - tick; efficient crews - tick), I still fail to understand all the hype about Cathay. There just isn't that extra 'sparkle' on the flights I've had with Cathay to make them memorable, with v rare exceptions. And I'd consider today one of the better days I've had on the airline. My first choice is still the Flying Kangaroo, thanks.

Next: Sheraton Hong Kong; CX466 HKG-TPE whY; Sheraton Taipei; Westin Taipei
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 7 July 2008, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              OMG, this must be a typo. Surely KeithMEL finds the St. Regis NOT trendy enough?!
              There are/were things other than trendiness that tempted the OP to the St. Regis

Comment

Review of Sheraton Hong Kong posted here.

Next: CX466 HKG-TPE whY; Sheraton Taipei; Westin Taipei

Comment

CX466 HKG-TPE, 02JUL2008, Economy Class

Did ITCI at Kowloon AE station which was quick and easy; there were more staff than pax. My epi pen caused some concern at security but they were cool after taking down my details.

Today's flight departed from gate 1 and so I headed to the Wing. IMO it's somewhat nicer than the Pier, as it felt brighter and airier somehow. Had some noodle soup from the cafeteria and some Lanson from the long bar. I wonder how the people at skytrax can rate the CX lounges at HKIA 3 stars with a straight face, if they cared about being taken at least half seriously. IMO they're no less than 5 stars for JCL lounges.

Gate 1 was just a v short walk from the Wing. Most of the plane had already boarded by the time I got there so I'd simply breezed through to my seat. Seatmate's from Oregon and appeared to also be going to TPE for the first time, unfortunately I was none the wiser about stuff to do in TPE as I've neither been there nor done any research prior since I had taipeiflyer travel and tours ltd. I'd only know that I wanted to go up that ridiculously tall building, Taipei 101 and stuff myself silly with beef noodles.

Cathay YCL legroom in the regional 330 seemed a wee bit tight but adequate for the short flight.

We were actually served a hot meal on this teeny little flight, certainly wasn't expecting that! There was only 1 choice - pork belly with rice. I was full from the noodle soup I had back in the lounge and so sipped on some chardonnay instead.

Next: Sheraton Taipei; Westin Taipei; Sighted in Taipei

Comment

Review of the Sheraton Taipei has been posted here.

Next: Westin Taipei; Sighted in Taipei

Comment

Review of the Westin Taipei posted here.

Next: Sighted in Taipei

Comment

A great report as usual from Keith.

If you are a noodle fan, u should try the various noodles served in the CX Lounge at TPE. I thought the variety there was more than that served in HKIA.

Comment

Taipei!!!

The food

Taipei is culinary heaven, to put it mildly. No I've not gathered up enough courage or have been drunk enough to sample stinky tofu, but I did enjoy all the other stuff I come across especially the beef noodles which I happen to be a big fan of.

Taiwanese beef noodles

The best beef noodles to be had are at the cheerful little hole in the wall type places. My favourite was a place near the Westin which is said to be open daily 11am to 5am! I'm sure people sober up there after an all nighter like at a kebab shop on Brunswick St. Had the noodles with sides of (regular) tofu and sauteed cubumbers there, cheap as chips but good as any haute cuisine as far as I'm concerned . I'm sure taipeiflyer knows the name of that particular eatery but unfortunately I can't remember...

Pork noodles in a milky broth

Taiwanese sausages

Pork bun

Forgot to take a pic till it was almost too late... I hope Moomba doesn't mind some trademark infringement there.

Dessert time: Beancurd with (extremely soft) peanuts and tapioca beads

Bubble tea

Shilin Night Market

Total insanity.

The guy was flipping that huge white piece of "i've no idea what" in the air a split sec earlier.

Comment

Taipei 101

The technology that went into the construction of this magnificent structure is mind blowing. More importantly it has a huge shopping mall at the base...

Us at the 89th floor, the lift that took us up there took all of just 34 seconds to ascend 89 floors! Fastest lift in the world apparently.

Huge ball of steel to act as a damper in the event of earthquakes or extreme weather

Damper babies...

Comment

The nightlife!!

We didn't get to check out much nightlife as we were both wiped at the end of rather long days. The happening place to go in town is Room 18- which I'd be sure to check out next time i'm in town. I was lazy and opted to check out the foreigner friendly places, Brass Monkeys and Carnegie's. Brass Monkeys had an awesome DJ and dancefloor - bizarrely the place was more busy mid week than Fri night. It also had lots of New Zealand related paraphernalia but I asked for Steinlager and was told that they don’t actually serve Kiwi beers. Huh? Carnegie’s had some cool bar top dancing action going on. Both good fun all the same, and I allegedly embarrassed myself on consecutive nights but to avoid incriminating myself I wont go into details (but taipeiflyer assures me he won't be as discreet! oops).

Some pics from Brass Monkeys which is just around the corner from the Westin:

They had the authentically MASSIVE Hoegaardens (bottom RHS)! Was a bit challenging to hit the dancefloor with one of those though.

Dancing with some mates of taipeiflyer's.
                              Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 July 2008, 08:06 PM.

Comment

The coolest cab in the world

Can you say whoa?

Strung together using 1000 origami cranes...

Wulai: Waterfalls and hotsprings

Just 18km out of Taipei but felt like much more.

Couldn't help but check out the legroom...

Randomness...

Comment

Working...
                                X