SQ Flies Australia-NZ-USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ Flies Australia-NZ-USA?

Bit confused by this one, the article seems quite specific that this is already happens? (Have I been sleeping hard?!?)..

The Government last year rejected a proposal to allow Singapore Airlines to join Qantas and American-based United Airlines on the trans-Pacific route, despite appeals from Singapore for it to reconsider.

Instead, Singapore Airlines flies onto New Zealand where Air New Zealand is a fellow member of the Star Alliance air carrier network.

Speaking after the alliance's annual board meeting yesterday, Air New Zealand chief operating officer Rob Fyfe said the Australian authorities' stand led to Singapore Airlines facing higher costs than would be the case if fifth freedom rights were granted from Australian airports.

"They (Singapore Airlines) choose to fly from New Zealand through to the United States not because that's the obvious route to do but because it becomes the default route," Mr Fyfe said.

"Actually, the economies of that don't look very smart because they'll fly to Australia, hop to New Zealand, go to the United States.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-29277,00.html

Indeed. I just read that too.

What is Mr. Fyfe on about? Even Singapore Airlines Cargo doesn't fly NZ-USA.

There are no codeshares NZ-USA that I am aware of either.

Comment

While I'd love to see SQ operate NZ-USA I'm rather skeptical, I'll believe it when I see it happen.

Maybe SQ will plan to codeshare on NZ [BNE/SYD/MEL]-[AKL-[LAX/SFO/YVR] services perhaps?

Comment

Nah I doubt it. SQ should learn it's lesson that NZ is just not the "alternative" to Australia.
        Help make this article a better one!

Comment

I thought SQ or Singapore already had trans-tasman 5th freedom rights? No?

Comment

Originally posted by simong View Post
            Bit confused by this one, the article seems quite specific that this is already happens? (Have I been sleeping hard?!?)..

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-29277,00.html

This article appeared in the Straits Times today. I'm confused too. Air NZ CEO states SIA flies to Australia, to NZ, then to US?

Comment

Whatever he's smoking - it must be good...
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatop View Post
                This article appeared in the Straits Times today. I'm confused too. Air NZ CEO states SIA flies to Australia, to NZ, then to US?
                Saw that article too, and it even mentions it twice. Really wierd...
                Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Working...
                X