SIN-BKK-LHR on TG410 and TG910 in Y - 29 Jan '09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-BKK-LHR on TG410 and TG910 in Y - 29 Jan '09

Got in from Bangkok a few hours ago, so decided to do this trip report while relaxing a bit before heading out. Was deciding for some time between taking SQ, TG or CA for this route, and finally settled on TG as the price was over S$400 less for a one way ticket than SQ with minimal transit time (<2 hours). A big pull factor which made me decide on TG was the scheduled equipment swap announced in Nov or Dec '08. Previously, the midnight TG910 BKK-LHR was served by a B747-400 with no AVOD IFE in Y (only the communal big screen), which would have made flying for 13 hours a real chore as I do not usually sleep much on flights. With the change, the flight would now be served by a A340-600, with the new AVOD IFE!! That clinched it for me.

*For just $100 more than the price I paid of S$1076, you can get a SQ return flight (with no miles) now!! Too bad it did not fit my travel plans to fly back from London.

Back to the trip report. After checking in at Changi Terminal 1 and walking around duty free a while, I went to the boarding gate C24, but could not get a good picture of the aircraft and only had a very limited nose view . I managed to catch the a/c registration above the front wheel. My bird tonight to Bangkok on TG410 would be HS-TNA "Watthana Nakhon", an Airbus 340-642 with the upgraded new Thai AVOD IFE.

Straight through to LHR.
    [I]

HS-TNA "Watthana Nakhon", Airbus 340-642.

In my seat 35B (asile, in a 2-4-2 seating configuration), the pitch was very good at 34 inches I believe. Seemingly more than enough for my long legs. Ah, but that was not really the case because just under the left hand side of the seat in front was some metal box (which presumably stores the life jackets), and got in the way everytime I wanted to extend my legs forward. In the end I used the leg rest most of the time, and it was okay.

34 inches, a lot of space (or so it seems)!

Damned metal box.

Some token cabin view shots next. I really like the different colours of the seats, gives the cabin a very happy atmosphere. Business class seemed almost totally empty, and I guess those few business class passengers (and *G?) were upgraded to the first class section as the SIN-BKK leg was only operated as a dual class seating configuration.

View from seat 35B, looking into business class before curtains were drawn.

View from row 42.

What I like about this aircraft was the camera at the front of the plane which displays what is going on just outside.

We have liftoff!

Time to check out the AVOD IFE. My first time using a touch screen on a plane! The system was not very responsive, and the elderly gentleman behind me was CONTINUOUSLY tapping the screen through the flight.... Again like the situation with the metal box under the seats, this is a very good idea/benefit by Thai which does have its bad points when executed. Perhaps they can do something about these two issues? The movies on this month were not very good, and I decided to watch Transsiberian, as I would be going on the actual Trans-Siberian in a few months time. Flight time was actually not long enough to finish the movie with all the frequant announcements coming over the PA, so I only managed to finish the movie at the start of the BKK-LHR leg.

Touch screen! Amazing!

Meal service aboard this flight comprised of some beef option and a chicken fried rice, which is what I chose. It was very tasty! Also had a white wine, along with a scotch on the rocks and diet coke. Yes, I love my liquids. I have a neater picture with a full bun and without the coke and scotch, but I thought the one below looked more interesting.

Chicken fried rice and an assortment of drinks.

Finished up the meal and watched as much of Transsiberian as I could, before landing in Suvarnabhumi slightly behind schedule, due to late push back in Changi.

Comment

As the arrival and departure gates to and from Suvarnabhumi were both C4 (with under two hours in-between), I incorrectly assumed that TG910 BKK-LHR would be serviced by HS-TNA again. Upon checking with a flight steward later, I was informed that BKK-LHR TG910 tonight would be on HS-TNB "Saraburi". Weird?

Not many pictures from this section of the flight as the a/c was the same, an Airbus 340-642. I watched some old movies (When Harry Met Sally, MI3) after finishing Transsiberian and supper, and then went to sleep till breakfast.

Menu.

Supper and breakfast choices.

Supper: Braised beef slices with red wine sauce in spaghetti.

Breakfast: Quiche, bacon and sausages.

Food wise, I would say the quality of food on this flight is very high. It was a very pleasent flight all the way from Singapore (first time in memory I have slept 7 hours straight on a plane), although the metal box under the seats and the touch screen IFE could be improved upon. Hope that you enjoyed this trip report. The end.

Some mood lighting.

Comment

the metal boxes u refer to below the seats is actually for the IFE and not for storing the life-jackets

Comment

Great that you got the 346 on this route (IIRC, one of the changes made on the BKK-LHR route). Y on TG's 744 isn't particularly good. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

your pictures give me a preview of my HKG-BKK-HKG on TG Good to know that they have touch screen too!

Comment

Bravo, jn82.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Nice review indeed, good to see a TG review once in awhile.

I agree that the touchscreens are pretty hopeless. On a recent flight their new J seat broke down on me and everyone in the first row too.

Comment

Working...
                X