Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts and Impressions: CX New J (74A) and CX New Y (77A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kchika View Post
    Go for CX884 for HKG-LAX. It already has new seats. The new service to SFO is still a 744 because until more 77As arrive, they will go to JFK.

Thanks a lot bro...have book for CX 884...let's hope CX do not change their plane at the last minute...

Rgds,

Comment

My grandparents flew on CX882 HKG-LAX which also had new seats. My parents are booked on CX882 HKG-LAX for Feb, seatmap of which is showing new seats.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        My grandparents flew on CX882 HKG-LAX which also had new seats. My parents are booked on CX882 HKG-LAX for Feb, seatmap of which is showing new seats.
        Cool...looks like it really depends on CX's scheduling of planes usage of the day...currently CX 882 on Dec 6th is the old configuration and CX 884 is the new configuration. Anyone can confirm this?

Cheers!!

Comment

Originally posted by KevSQ View Post
          Cool...looks like it really depends on CX's scheduling of planes usage of the day...currently CX 882 on Dec 6th is the old configuration and CX 884 is the new configuration. Anyone can confirm this?

Cheers!!

Just checked the seat maps on EF and yes you are right.

Comment

Looking forward to a continuation of this with jjpb3's thoughts on CX New F.

I tried for the first time CX New J last week (on the UD of the 74A) and having read everything and adjusted downwards my expectations accordingly, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the seat was. I didn't feel confined whilst seated like some have mentioned.

I haven't tried SQ's 77W/A380 J seat yet so can only compare it to BA's current J seat. I passed the time on the flight by jotting down a few thoughts on the seat:

* It feels much solid than BA's rickety effort. The bed doesn't have BA's springboard effect; the foot stool doesn't (like BA) collapse if you put a moderate amount of pressure on it; and the CX table is much more stable than BA's table.

* Lying down, the seat feels more constrained than BA's seat (as the BA arm rests drop down) (more of a problem for those who sleep on their back) but sitting up, the CX seat is more padded (including the arm rests compared to BA's bare plastic/metal) and therefore comfortable.

* However, like jjpb3, I do miss BA's Z-position as the CX seats foot stool doesn't (like BA's) move and tilt up and down. This also means that the foot stool on CX can get in the way whilst on BA you can just pull it up (I'm not tall but whilst seated, I can stretch out my legs and easily touch the CX foot stool). The CX head rest with its attached cushion is also softer and more comfortable.

* There's much more pax controlled lighting in the CX seat - with lights above, to the left and to the right (with the right being one you can move with 360 degrees of motion). Compare that to BA's single light which you can only move in one plane only. CX also has mood lighting in the cabin.

* However, BA is better for the floor laptop/shoe storage locker (none on CX AFAIK), the UD window storage boxes (CX just has a small place behind the seat which is impossible to access whilst seated) and the power socket on BA is near the floor (unlike CX's which is at seat level meaning for me anything plugged in can be easily knocked out if not careful, e.g. a laptop cable connected to an adapter).

* If sat on BA next to the window on the UD, it's much more private than the CX seat where you can see (and everyone else can see) your feet sticking out (with the top half of all of the bodies out of sight). It also means that when walking to the loo on CX (only at the back unlike BA with a loo in the front as well), you have to avoid brushing past too many appendages sticking out!

* The CX seat is impossible if - like some (but not me) - you like to sit next to your partner.

* As jjpb3 mentioned, you can't see out of the window whilst sat in the CX seat on the UD.

* The seat controls are much better laid out on CX (unlike BA's with its single horizontal strip of buttons which you have to look at before pressing). I liked the IFE control on CX which (like on SQ) shows the flight time remaining (which appears to be accurate!) - useful when waking up and wanting to see how much longer to sleep.

* I couldn't find at first the CX additional shoulder belt (which has to be worn on takeoff and landing) until I discovered it's actually inside the seat (and in my case hidden by the head rest cover).

* The overhead storage bins on BA are larger unlike CX's which don't open outwards and downwards.

The CX 74A J seats remind me of the 74A F seat with the similar padding / head rest cushion / etc but with the feaures cut down, e.g. the IFE screen puls out but its range of motion is more restricted htan in F; there's no storage cupboard like in F; etc.
            Last edited by jhm; 26 December 2008, 03:04 AM.

Comment

CX new J has kept on avoiding me, so I haven't got the chance to try it.
              However, my sister and her family tried it recently and they are happy with it, despite the many complaints about narrowness of the seats and the difficulty in communicating with your traveling companions onboard.
              They felt that the layout is quite understandable, and the seat is excellent when traveling alone.

Comment

I like the layout, but it is not as good as NZ (narrower, more seats jammed into the same area, shakier, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  Looking forward to a continuation of this with jjpb3's thoughts on CX New F.
                  Patience, dear sir. I have to see whether I remember enough, and whether my post-holiday depression lifts sufficiently for me to write down the memories.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Great report, jjpb3. Always a pleasure to read.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      Patience, dear sir. I have to see whether I remember enough, and whether my post-holiday depression lifts sufficiently for me to write down the memories.
                      Well, it turns out I don't have the energy for a proper TR.

But jhm, to answer your question:

I really like the new CX F. The seats are very comfortable, and the storage space (that neat little closet) felt very private. On the very short routes that I experienced this cabin (HKG-MNL), I almost felt overwhelmed by the crew attention. If I had the funds or the miles, I'd gladly fly in the new CX F.

I think CX service in premium classes shines (though some competitors do match them ); just a shame that there exists a horrible inconsistency among the Y crew .
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                      X