A Fireflying Weekend to Ipoh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fireflying Weekend to Ipoh

Again, I embarked on another short weekend trip to neighbouring Malaysia, making a visit to the town of Ipoh in the state of Perak. Since the start of direct flights from Singapore to Ipoh, Ipoh has been gradually gaining popularity for holidays by Singaporeans, as well as convenient access by Ipohians in Singapore. Currently, there are 3 to 4 flights daily to Ipoh, operated by Firefly and Tigerair (soon to be Scoot). Malindo Air, which I flew previously more than a year ago on my first trip to Ipoh, has pulled out of the route due to low loads. However, Tigerair seemed to be able to make the route work, increasing its flights to double dailies on certain days. Firefly maintained its twice daily flights. This trip, I would be flying on Firefly, which is the regional arm of Malaysia Airlines and operating solely ATR72 turboprops.

Checked in at Terminal 2 an hour before departure at the Firefly counters. There are 4 counters opened for check-in, 2 each for Subang and Ipoh. Boarding pass was prnted on Dnata stock.

It was a drizzly afternoon. Tarmac view at T2.

Both Firefly flights to Subang and Ipoh were departing from F55, which is a bus gate.

Code-shared with MH

Tigerair A320 at the gate. These aircraft will soon be repainted in Scoot's livery.

14 July 2017
    Firefly
    FY 3546
    Singapore (SIN) - Ipoh (IPH)
    ATR 72-500
    9M-FYA
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 1H18M

Both passengers for Ipoh and Subang were at the gate, but Ipoh pax were called for boarding earlier as the Subang flight was slightly delayed ue to late arrival of aircraft from Kuantan. Ferried by the bus to the remote stand. Firefly's first aircraft would be performing the sector today. This flight is part of the 4-sector Subang-Singapore-Ipoh-Singapore-Subang routing. Long working day for the pilots and crew.

Welcomed by a crew at the door and proceeded to our seats. Configuration on this ATR72 is 2-2 for a total of, yes you guessed it, 72 seats. 2 cabin crew will be working this flight. The cabin was clean and well-maintained despite this being Firefly's oldest aircraft.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Seat pitch is tight, but slightly better than the LCCs.

Inflight magazine and stuff in the seat pocket.

The flight was not too full and after the last passenger boarded, doors were closed and we were pushed back. Started the taxi to the runway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOEW8Dba23w

Holding for AirAsia and Hong Kong Airlines.

Departure from Rwy20C. Massive works going on in preparation for T5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djR79yWx1yo

The slower speed of the turboprop afforded a scenic 'tour' of the north-eastern part of Singapore.

Last edited by ycp81; 20 July 2017, 12:45 AM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Firefly markets itself as a full-service regional airline and hence all frills are offered, including free check-in luggage and complimentary refreshments. However there are talks that Firefly will stop offering complimentary refreshments soon. Crew came down the aisle with snacks in a basket, offering a choice of peanuts, muffins and curry puffs! I had a curry puff and a muffin. Tasty and filling snacks.

A choice of soya bean milk and mango juice were offered. Both for me please! As the seatbelt signs were kept on (with hardly any turbulence though), no hot drinks were offered.

As mentioned earlier, the weather was rather good for flying. Not sure why the seatbelt signs were swithed on for almost the entire flight.

After the snack service, a crew came to me and requested if I could fill up a survey on the tablet. Sure!

Port Dickson, i think.

Near Port Klang.

Compared to the jet which only took 50min, the flight on the ATR72 was almost half hour longer. We soon started the descent into Ipoh.

Landing in Ipoh Sultan Azlan Shah Airport Rwy04.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avs7ZNq78N0

My Travel Map

Comment

A rapid taxi and parked at the terminal.

Disembarking and a short walk to the arrival hall of the small terminal.

No queues at the arrival immigration for foreigners and we were through immigration and customs in a couple of minutes. Bliss of arriving at small airports! Last shot of the aircraft after clearing immigration.

It was a great flight on Firefly. Service was excellent by the cheerful crew members, complimentary refreshments were more than adequate for the short flight, and aircraft, though rather noisy, was well-maintained and comfortable. However, with competition heaing up in the turboprop market due to entry of Malindo, I guess it will not be long before we see Firefly cutting on the frills.

Only a maximum of 4 international flights a day to Ipoh, all from Singapore. There are also daily domestic flights to Johor Bahru.

It was only a 10min cab ride from the airport to Ipoh Town, where we would be staying at Weil Hotel, a 4-stars hotel which is supposedly the best in Ipoh Town. Rooms are big and cozy, and location is very convenient to the famous eateries and sights in town.

Sights of Ipoh old town and the street art.

My Travel Map

Comment

But of course, everyone goes to Ipoh not for the sights, but for the great food! Got some traditional biscuits from this pastry shop where the famous Kaya puffs are sold (and disappeared when the freshly-baked trays of puffs are brought out).

Dinner at the famous Tuck Kee restaurant. The Moonlight Hor Fun is oh-so-good, paired with crunch beansprouts and tender squid pieces, heavenly....

Late morning, tried the dimsum at Ming Court. Unfortunately, we were rather late and most of the popular items were sold out.

Teowchew-style beancurd at Concubine Lane.

Followed by delicious satay and duck egg fried kuay teow.

For this trip, I tried another famous tauge chicken kuay teow stall. The kuay teow was really rich and tasty, and chicken was very tender.

A popular supper place would be Tong Sui Kai (Sugar Water Street), where we went after a movie.

My Travel Map

Comment

Supper of wanton noodles, curry mee, rojak, fried meat, interesting prawn cracker with soya sauce and nuts, and a mountain of fruits dessert.

Tried another recommended dimsum place, Chef Fatt, on the 2nd morning. Great dimsum!

And the last meal of horfun with chicken and tauge at the food center near the hotel before heading to the airport.

Hailed an Uber ride to the airport at less than half the price of the overpriced airport taxis. Checked in an hour before departure. Boarding pass was printed on a receipt paper. There is only a single shop, selling local confectionary, in the terminal building and no other shops after immigration and security. Hence, it is advisable not to arrive at the airport too early as there is literally nothing to do.

FIDS and the tiny departure lounge after security.

Our aircraft arrived 5min late from SIN.

My Travel Map

Comment

16 July 2017
              Firefly
              FY 3547
              Ipoh (IPH) - Singapore (SIN)
              ATR 72-500
              9M-FYL
              Economy Class
              Flight Time: 1H28M

Taxi to the parking stand. Firefly's newest ATR72-500 (Firefly has reduced its fleet and withdrew its entire new ATR72-600 fleet from service) would be operating this flight.

Barely 10min after the aircraft had parked and incoming passengers disembarked, boarding was called. We made the leisurely walk along the tarmac to the aircraft.

Cabin shot. The flight would be more full than the incoming.

Firefly logo on seatbelt buckle.

View out the window.

Again, once the last passenger boarded, doors were closed and safety demonstration performed.

Taxi out for departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSMg6j_Q5f0

And a very powerful departure out of Rwy22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvQc4oW9rZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFS33txpmBU

My Travel Map

Comment

Climbing out of Ipoh.

Shortly after, the refreshment service started. On the flight, the meal cart was used and hot beverages were offered as well.

The great cabin crew offered me one each of all the available snack choices of curry puff, muffin and peanuts! Snack feast onboard!

Had a hot tea to go with the snacks.

Admiring the scenery below as we flew over Kuala Lumpur.

Making a left bank as we passe Malacca.

Made a visit to the tiny lavatory, equipped with the minimal amenities.

My Travel Map

Comment

View of the cabin.

Descending into Singapore. We flew a long approach pattern along the southern coast of Singapore, passing Batam and Bintan, before heading up north and approaching from the north.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfFof8iWvzI

Approaching and landing into Singapore Rwy20C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpg7KdMclsE

Parked at the remote stand for disembarkation.

Passing Scoot and SQ while on the bus ride to the terminal.

It was again a smooth and comfortable ride on Firefly with very good service and offerings on this short-haul route. Definitely looking forward to fly with Firefly again in the near future! Thanks for reading!

My Travel Map

Comment

Thanks for the TR, ycp81! Your timing is perfect...Mrs yflyer is headed to Ipoh in August for an eating/sightseeing trip. The food in your TR looks amazing, especially the noodle dishes. Quite a few variations on noodles that aren't common in Singapore.

Looks like a window seat on an ATR is a great way to enjoy the landscape below...

Comment

Bookmarked for a foodie trip to Ipoh

Comment

Glad your had a good time in Ipoh, kpc. I do this Firefly or the Scoot alternative flight once every two months.

The biggest difference between the two airlines (apart from the free food and luggage on Firely) is that the Scoot flight is much, much faster. I find the turbo-prop rather draggy.

Prices were much more competitive when Malindo was also flying this sector. Unfortunately now, the cost can sometimes be equivalent to a flight to Bangkok.

Comment

Working...
                        X