Going airside and coming back out again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going airside and coming back out again

Has anyone (e.g. those who stay in the transit hotel) ever had any problem with going airside and then coming back out through immigration ?

I arrived into SIN last week on BA and was taking SQ the following morning. However, I wanted to use the lounge to catch up on e-mails. So:

* I collected my luggage in T1 and checked-in again in T2

* With my SQ BP, I then went airside and used the lounge in T3

However, after I'd finished in the lounge, I passed through immigration again and (apart from the computer record no doubt of my entry and exit earlier that evening) the immigration officer could plainly see that I was going through immigration in T3 after arriving on BA into T1. I of course told him the full story when asked.

He mentioned that airside is a restricted area and that even with a BP, you can't simply come and go as you please. Nevertheless, he thankfully let me back into the country.

(I know that what I should have done is on arrival into T1, leave my luggage (so that it'll eventually get taken away and stored); collect my BP from a transfer counter airside; use the lounge in T3; and then proceed through T1 immigration and collect my luggage.)

I've never had a problem going in and out upto 4 times a day, but then I use the Access Card and avoid any human contact with the immigration folks

Comment

Wasn't it just a short while back when Jay Chou came to Singapore, and people bought cheap tickets/refundable tickets just to get airside to greet him, with no intention of flying?

It was then I learnt about it being illegal to access the restricted area unless planning to board a flight..

Will find article later.

--
      Article: from http://www.jay-chou.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276335
      Two Jay Chou fans get maximum fine for trespassing
      By Elena Chong

Jan 16, 2008

Source: The Straits Times, Singapore

TWO fans of popular singer-actor Jay Chou bought air tickets to catch their idol at the Changi Airport - and landed themselves in trouble.
      Sin Teck Wee, 33, and Jocelyn Soh Chia Ling, 28, entered the departure hall with their boarding passes at about 11 am on July 30 last year but had no intention of flying to Kuala Lumpur - except to meet the Taiwanese pop star up close.

For that, they were fined the maximum of $1,000 on Tuesday for entering a protected place.

After getting the boarding passes for their flight, they entered the departure hall where a notice states 'No entry except for passengers with boarding passes and proceeding to their next destination'.

The two telemarketers did not proceed to board their flight, but instead went to meet a celebrity idol who was arriving the same day.

Although the statement of facts in court did not say who the idol was, it was known that Jay Chou flew in from Hong Kong that day for a two-day whirlwind trip to promote his directorial debut 'Secret'.

The two were later detained by an Immigration and Checkpoints Authority officer and the police were called.

Sin and Soh admitted that they had bought airline tickets to meet their celebrity idol at the departure hall.

Under the Protected Area and Protected Places Act, they could have been fined and jailed for up to two years each.
      zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
        Wasn't it just a short while back when Jay Chou came to Singapore, and people bought cheap tickets/refundable tickets just to get airside to greet him, with no intention of flying?

It was then I learnt about it being illegal to access the restricted area unless planning to board a flight..
        I recall the same thing. However, those people had no intention at all to take their flight whilst I did have such an intention (and did in fact take the flight) but only the following morning. I don't know whether this makes a difference - obviously not as far as the immigration officer was concerned!

Comment

What is definitely different in the case of the Jay Chou fans is that they entered the restricted area, didn't board their flight and the flight left without them.

In my case, I suppose (in theory at least - leaving aside the possibility of being deported and/or denied entry to Singapore then or in the future if immigration take a dislike) if I was about to be accused of committing the same offence, I could simply have turned around at immigration, went back up to the lounge, slept there the night and then taken my flight.

Comment

Couldn't you have just used a laptop and go to a nearby hotspot such as starbucks or coffee bean to use the internet to do your e-mails instead of having to go to airside? I mean you are giving me the impression that you are sort of a "show-off". In my mind, you are thinking "I am a premium pax. so i am gonna use the lounge for better people instead of starbucks which are for commoners".

Comment

Originally posted by danzer View Post
              Couldn't you have just used a laptop and go to a nearby hotspot such as starbucks or coffee bean to use the internet to do your e-mails instead of having to go to airside? I mean you are giving me the impression that you are sort of a "show-off". In my mind, you are thinking "I am a premium pax. so i am gonna use the lounge for better people instead of starbucks which are for commoners".
              That's one way of looking at it, I suppose!

However, there were two of us. We'd paid for our J tix. We were entitled to lounge access. We were already inside the airport. Given that, who in their right mind would sit in a coffee shop in a noisy public area and buy soft drinks when (like us) they could sit in a quiet corner of the lounge and get free drinks ?

(After we were finished, we left the lounge (for better people) and went to Lau Par Sat (for commoners) for some satay.)

Comment

I mean you are giving me the impression that you are sort of a "show-off". In my mind, you are thinking "I am a premium pax. so i am gonna use the lounge for better people instead of starbucks which are for commoners".

If I wanted to 'show off' to someone, I'd be more inclined to take them to Starbucks rather than the SKL at T3...

Comment

And before anyone asks, we needed to stay at the airport to do our stuff because:

* we were staying the night in a (free!) HDB (for com... never mind ) without wifi

* we were sorting out an itinerary which needed to be ticketed that day and required us to decide on dates, flights, times etc in a hurry (before the satay stalls etc shut for the night) - so we ended up sat side by side in the SKL J with ExpertFlyer on one laptop; and KVS/Sabre on the other laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    If I wanted to 'show off' to someone, I'd be more inclined to take them to Starbucks rather than the SKL at T3...
                    Who in their right mind would go up and say I pay $5 for a coffee when they can say I paid a few thousand for this J/F tix or spent thousands on *G or PPS?

Comment

I know each person has different point of view. But if I were you, I would go to the lounge first, finishing whatever I need to do. Then going back to the original terminal to clear immigration, and picked up the luggage at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                        I know each person has different point of view. But if I were you, I would go to the lounge first, finishing whatever I need to do. Then going back to the original terminal to clear immigration, and picked up the luggage at that time.
                        I agree, that would be the least complicated approach at Changi.
                        Who in their right mind would go up and say I pay $5 for a coffee when they can say I paid a few thousand for this J/F tix or spent thousands on *G or PPS?
                        Whom exactly did you think jhm was trying to impress? Fellow users of the lounge (who didn't know what he was up to, and who paid or had someone pay for their own BP or FF card)? The immigration officer?

The only issues with his approach were the puzzlement of the officer (probably understandable) and, apparently, the impressions of people who would attribute far-fetched DWKWIA motives to an action that's pretty invisible at that time except to the immigration officer.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I haven't had a problem before. Eg for the airshow a couple of years ago I flew in on EK which arrives in the middle of the night in T1, went to T2 to sleep in SKL, had shower and breakfast and exited from T2 in the morning. Of course I didn't have luggage.

Comment

Never mind...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                              You are right. It was my intention to use Changi's excellent 'lost luggage' facility. I came out of the BA plane thinking we'd go to the lounges in T2/T3 to do what we had to do, then come back to T1 to clear immigration and collect our luggage. But jhm had already scuttled off to be reunited with his dustbin.

I had no problems with immigration because I dealt with the machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X