Newbie Question: Elite Qualification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question: Elite Qualification

Hi everyone, I am flying SQ 237 then SQ 221 on 15th April, MAN_SIN_SYD I chose the 14hr transit so I can take the A380 down to SYD. I am returning back on SQ a month later. I am currently at the lowest tier of Krisflyer, I have 38000 miles credited so far, After or whilst on this trip what tier will I reach, I'm pretty sure it's Silver, But just checking If I may go Gold? Last year I saved myself £100 by flying Qantas from MAN_LHR_SIN_SYD return Wish I had opted for SQ as that was the worst flight in memory! And definately false economy so to speak!
    I look forward to your replies, Good forum by the way, I'll attempt a trip report with Pics maybe!

Regards

Andy.
    Last edited by Andy Simpson; 2 April 2008, 10:32 PM.

Andy, welcome to SQTalk!

I am currently at the lowest tier of Krisflyer, I have 38000 miles credited so far
    When you login to your KrisFlyer account, the important figure is your "Elite Miles" (which resets to zero every year and which is used to determine whether you're silver or gold) and not your "Redeemable Miles" (which is used for awards and upgrades).

As you're currently the lowest tier, I assume that your 38,000 figure is your Redeemable miles and not your Elite miles.

Not all SQ fares earn miles but AFAIK all of them sold from the UK do.

MAN-SIN-SYD is 10,717 miles according to Great Circle Mapper:

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=M...OR=&MAP-STYLE=

so you'd get about 21,000 miles travelling in economy for the round trip. If you already have at least 4,000 Elite miles, you'd qualify for KrisFlyer Silver (which requires 25,000 Elite miles) after this trip.

Enjoy your flights!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Simpson View Post
      Hi everyone, I am flying SQ 237 then SQ 222 on 15th April, MAN_SIN_SYD I chose the 14hr transit so I can take the A380 down to SYD. I am returning back on SQ a month later. I am currently at the lowest tier of Krisflyer, I have 38000 miles credited so far, After or whilst on this trip what tier will I reach, I'm pretty sure it's Silver, But just checking If I may go Gold?
      It depends on when the 38k miles were earned. To get KF Silver, you need to earn 25,000 Elite miles in any class of service on Singapore Airlines, SilkAir or any Star Alliance airline during your qualification period, and credit them to your KrisFlyer account.

If I am not wrong, the qualification period is now set from 1st January to 31st December for each year.

To get Gold, you will need to earn 50k miles within the year.

To check how many more miles you need to reach the the respective status, please log on the singaporeair.com with your KF number and password, to check your complete account statement. It will also tell your by when you should earn those miles to reach the status level.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
        If I am not wrong, the qualification period is now set from 1st January to 31st December for each year.
        No, everyone has their own 12-month period. You can see this if you login to KF and then click "See Complete Account Statement".

Comment

Thanks for your replies I have 21,438 Elite miles I just lost some as I had miles expiring 1st April I think i redeemed 1300 to save losing 6000 plus so a fair exchange, I just looked at my statement and I require 3,562 mles to achieve Silver status!

Andy

Comment

Just to add I have opted for seat 58K on the A380 I believe this is on the lower deck, I like a window seat even though I guess most of the flight will be in Darkness, Same seat on the way back up to SIN but this time in Daylight, Any preferences regarding seat choice would be appreciated, And I don't mean 1A !!! By the way thank you for the Great circle Mapper! Nice one!

Andy.
            Last edited by Andy Simpson; 2 April 2008, 06:53 PM. Reason: misspelt

Comment

i'm in a bit of the same boat.

i just qualified for KF silver with a SIN-LHR flight on March 31, and my Elite miles calculator reset itself to zero.

to get gold, i'll have to clock another 50k miles before 31 March 2009. so in effect, one has to clock 75,000 miles within a 2 year period, rather than just 50,000 in a one year standalone period to get KF gold.

one grouse though, the unused elite miles don't get rolled over into the next tier. I had 23800 miles, then flew a LHR sector (6754miles) - only 1.2k miles had a consequence, the rest of my 5.5k miles forfeited for elite miles. bah.

Comment

Yeah, It's a bit bad isn't it? I remember I lost 40000 miles a few years ago, As I didn't take a trip and the miles reset to next to nothing! Oh well at least I got Silver, Onwards to Gold here I go!

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                  i just qualified for KF silver with a SIN-LHR flight on March 31, and my Elite miles calculator reset itself to zero.

to get gold, i'll have to clock another 50k miles before 31 March 2009. so in effect, one has to clock 75,000 miles within a 2 year period, rather than just 50,000 in a one year standalone period to get KF gold.
                  I don't think that's right. You'll have up to March 2009 to earn 50,000 miles, or you just need to earn 50,000 miles by the end of your original (ES) membership year. I explained this in another thread, but can't find the link to that one.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

actually he is right - you need to attain silver before you can start collecting your 50,000 miles for gold. that is 75,000 miles. BUT... its actually more unless you happen to credit a flight that takes you exactly to 25,000.

e.g. i just flew BKK-MEL with 23,000 miles in the bank, it credit 4500 miles taking it to 27,500 miles. it gave me silver... then reset elite miles to 0. 50,000 to go. Not fair, they should deduct the 2500 extra miles from the 50k oh well
                    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

hmm. i think the base point is that one can't jump from krisflyer nothing to kf gold within 1 year. kinda systematic in the sense that you have to go from kfn to kfs, then 50k to kfg.

i'm sure jjpb3 knows the system better than i do, but sadly, my krisflyer home page shows 00000 elite miles, and says i need 50,000 miles before mar 31 2009 to get kfg.

anyway elite miles are a bonus. ultimately it doesnt' automatically upgrade me from Y

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                        actually he is right - you need to attain silver before you can start collecting your 50,000 miles for gold. that is 75,000 miles. BUT... its actually more unless you happen to credit a flight that takes you exactly to 25,000.

e.g. i just flew BKK-MEL with 23,000 miles in the bank, it credit 4500 miles taking it to 27,500 miles. it gave me silver... then reset elite miles to 0. 50,000 to go. Not fair, they should deduct the 2500 extra miles from the 50k oh well
                        That's not what I was told by KrisFlyer when I emailed them about the reset. There's a second counter that supposedly isn't displayed in your account summary.

I guess the best test is for someone to achieve EG under the old rules, and report back on whether the 75,000 threshold is the correct one now. It would be good to update my understanding of the new rules as well.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

In the past it was definitely 25,000 to silver, plus another 25,000 to gold. Perhaps this changed when they switched to the rolling 12 mth qualification period from the Apr-Mar fixed calendar?

Comment

I just renewed my KF Elite Gold Status and I did it in 49,998 miles. I phone SQ and they told me will do so since 2 miles away is nothing. I explained to them that my house to office takes 15 miles, so I dont know where to go with 2 miles. . Despite I have another trip with SQ in 1 week time, they looked up my reservation and confirmed within 3 hrs, they changed my status to EG.

Comment

From the SQ Website:

KrisFlyer Elite Gold status will be yours when you achieve 50,000 Elite miles in any class of service on Singapore Airlines, SilkAir or any Star Alliance airline during your Elite Silver membership year, and credit them to your KrisFlyer account.
                              To me this indicates it 50000 miles AFTER achieving silver. So - from nothing to Gold is 75,000 miles.... 25 of which must be within the first 12 months, and 50 of which must be in the 12 months after becoming silver. You can still obtain gold within a year of joining but to do so would mean 75,000 miles minimum.

It still annoys me that they reset the clock after hitting silver.
                              My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Working...
                              X