Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They're actually different! (A350 vs 77WR/N J)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're actually different! (A350 vs 77WR/N J)

I don't think SQ will be pleased with me for posting this, but recently after listening to a lot of moaning about how the new J seats aren't great on the A350 and have been "shoehorned" into the aircraft, I did a small comparison.

I've only flown the A350 J on short-haul flights and I have always felt they were exactly the same as those on the 77W but the comparison has blown my mind away. There is a width difference in the footwell after all!! And I guess for some who are taller, it makes all the difference between a good and a bad seat.

Have a look:

A350:

77W:

I would say the difference is about 3 inches or so.

The length of the side padding seemed to be similar:

A350:

77W:

But again the depth of the 77W footwell seeemed deeper. You can also see the width difference in the pictures below.

A350:

77W:

So there you go! There is a difference after all. To me it wasn't significant enough to notice until I made an actual comparison. However I have yet to fly the A350 long-haul, so perhaps only in bed-mode would I notice it. Unlike the 2006 J where the 77W and A380 versions are quite obviously different, SQ has managed to make the differences here so subtle that I still can't quite figure out where the inches have been shaved off the back of the seat. My suspicion is that the mirror and storage compartment have been made slightly narrower in line with the narrower footwell.

Well, hope that didn't upset too many people.

I see a yflyer signature move: using inflight magazines to gauge seat dimensions heh.

Thanks for the comparison. Does seem to back up the 'feeling' of most of the posters who've lamented the A350 J. Seems like reverse herringbone might be the best config for 1-2-1 in J on an A350.

Comment

Something I've pointed out a few times earlier.

Never really was impressed with the A350s as they do feel a bit more cramped and I'm 1.86 and the storage compartments are smaller too. Maybe the overheads are sane but didn't notice. Also the loos are smaller ... much smaller especially the one at the front - not even drawers for amenities

Technically SQs design is herringbone-ish Sitting straight but sleep at an angle. Space is on the width not the pitch so I consider this a front sitting herringbone hybrid

Comment

Totally agreed A350 is smaller, that's why I switched my next flight to SFO back to the old SQ2 from SQ32 after sampling A350 from HKG-SIN.

Comment

This is one of the best posts I have seen. I love the inflight magazine and safety card measurement system! Brilliant haaa.

Comment

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
            I see a yflyer signature move: using inflight magazines to gauge seat dimensions heh.

Thanks for the comparison. Does seem to back up the 'feeling' of most of the posters who've lamented the A350 J. Seems like reverse herringbone might be the best config for 1-2-1 in J on an A350.
            Haha i definitely got the idea from him! Short of bringing on board a measuring tape it's probably the next best thing to use for comparison.

Originally posted by alian View Post
            Something I've pointed out a few times earlier.

Never really was impressed with the A350s as they do feel a bit more cramped and I'm 1.86 and the storage compartments are smaller too. Maybe the overheads are sane but didn't notice. Also the loos are smaller ... much smaller especially the one at the front - not even drawers for amenities

Technically SQs design is herringbone-ish Sitting straight but sleep at an angle. Space is on the width not the pitch so I consider this a front sitting herringbone hybrid
            Agree with the last paragraph but I doubt SQ will give up the current design in the new A380 J.

Having said all of the above + my original post, I doubt majority of flyers will really notice the difference actually. I certainly wouldn't have, if not for reading the threads on here and on flyertalk. In fact I bet most flyers don't even realize the 2006 J seats on the A380 and 77W are different, even though the difference is a lot more stark on those 2 aircraft.

Comment

Other than finding the seat width to be more narrow on the A359,does anybody notice the depth of the chubby hole to actually be shorter compared to the 77W? I never manage a good sleep on the A359 as my feet always touches the wall of the chubby hole but I find I actually have a more "spacious" and "deeper" chubby hole on the 77W.

Comment

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                Nice to see someone else using the same approach!

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                Haha i definitely got the idea from him! Short of bringing on board a measuring tape it's probably the next best thing to use for comparison.
                Thanks for a great post, pokfur! I've never tried the SQ A350 J seat, but have strolled through the cabin on the way to Y / PEY, and looking at the A350 J seat while walking past, I also always wondered what the difference was between the 77WN J seat and the A350. Your post illustrates the difference very clearly!

I am not tall, so I suspect I would still be quite comfortable in the A350 J seat (Heck I even find the Y seats ok...).

But I do also wonder if SQ should have just gone with a Herringbone/Reverse Herringbone J on the A350, just like CX or QR. These seem to work quite well with the A350 cabin width, which is a little narrower than the 777.

Comment

I doubt SQ would ever want to have a common product in their prestigious long haul ... its their differentiator. Aside for soft product which is always excellent they also need to have a different hard product else people will say SIA is the same as CX or QR

I am proud that SIA has a unique product over other Airlines and at least no else has

Comment

having flown the A350 to Jakarta and back last month and also a short hop from SIN-KUL-SIN in march, I dont know if its real but i find even the ailse walkway are narrower than the 77W

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                      having flown the A350 to Jakarta and back last month and also a short hop from SIN-KUL-SIN in march, I dont know if its real but i find even the ailse walkway are narrower than the 77W
                      I think you maybe right but I would think it's marginal but noticeable. Let wait for in flight magazine standard of measurement for comparison - hehe

Comment

Awesome post.

You truly make this very scientific. Haha.

For my case, I feel no difference. I still like SQ seats although somewhat don't feel as comfortable for sleeping at times because I think the padding and levelling is not the best and not adjustable

Comment

Working...
                        X