No announcement yet.

SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• but these earlier 772s and 773s are about 14 years or more and guess they would have been close to for a major D checks and by getting them back into service, its very likely that SIA need to do some heavy maintenance on these planes. On cost benefits, am not sure if its really much savings over say extending the lease of its A330s for another 2 years or so, from Airbus which have given SIA very preferred leases on these A330s. For the 772s/773s flying on regional flights, its not exactly cost effective even though fuel cost maybe low now as if SQ uses the A330s, it would similiary save more on fuel costs due to its later weight and range, and with newer A330s, believe the maintenance costs would be less than to keep fying the older 777s.
    Last edited by flyguy; 4 May 2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Much as SQ would love to have the A330 longer,they can't because the entire fleet of A330 were part of a compensation package for the delay in the A380 program with new A350 orders and SQ got them for close to nothing as part of the compensation. These birds have new homes waiting for them once their lease is up hence we see a aircraft crunch now that the A350 are having regular problems.

Comment

• still no further movement by SVA/SVD. anyone knows if they're still wearing SQ colours or all white? tried spotting them from the air three times the past 4 days as i flew in and out, but no sight of them.

at the same time, i got on SWW SQ2. the interior looks nice but omg, after so many flights on the refitted 772s, the 77W feels really really claustrophobic cramped! i couldn't even bend over to reach the power socket under the seat.

for this reason, SRM & SQK & SVB (the former refitted 772s now again refitted with the 2006 IFEs) are the best 772s in the 777 fleet imo.

Comment

• Could something be going on with SVF (or is it just regular maintenance)? It hasn't been active for three days according to Flightradar24.
          Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
            still no further movement by SVA/SVD. anyone knows if they're still wearing SQ colours or all white? tried spotting them from the air three times the past 4 days as i flew in and out, but no sight of them.

at the same time, i got on SWW SQ2. the interior looks nice but omg, after so many flights on the refitted 772s, the 77W feels really really claustrophobic cramped! i couldn't even bend over to reach the power socket under the seat.

for this reason, SRM & SQK & SVB (the former refitted 772s now again refitted with the 2006 IFEs) are the best 772s in the 777 fleet imo.
            I also feel like the new design of biz seats is getting too bulk, with the resulting feeling of a cramped cabin. I think airlines and seat designers need to remember the importance of empty space, yielding a feeling of spaciousness or the luxury of spaciousness. The worst yet is the biz cabin of the A350s! To me, ironically, 773's with the 2-2-2 biz class cabin feels much roomier than the A350s with brand new seats... in part because the 773 is wider, but mainly because of the bulkiness of the new seats.

Comment

• Found this video of the interior being stripped out of an ex SQ and Scoot 772

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfC1XTnd03M

Comment

• There is one ex-SQ B777-212ER 9V-SQI sitting at KLIA. Going to a new Malaysia charter airline FlyGlobal. New registration is 9M-FGA, not sure of the cabin.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
                  Could something be going on with SVF (or is it just regular maintenance)? It hasn't been active for three days according to Flightradar24.
                  Sitting on it now in Manila. Looking a little sorry for itself.

Comment

• 9V-SVA went out for an air-test this afternoon (30MAY17) as SQ8877.
                    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Reckon some ex 77E are headed to Vistara.

They're looking to starting long-haul.

Comment

• Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                        Reckon some ex 77E are headed to Vistara.

How is Vistara doing financially actually?

Comment

• Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                          Reckon some ex 77E are headed to Vistara.

That is distinctly possible. Unless the rule has been recently revoked, airlines based in India can only commence international flights when their total fleet exceeds 20 craft. It's a strange rule, most likely aimed at protecting AI.

Should SQ own some old 777s parked at ASP, I suppose one way to increase UK's fleet size would be to supplement numbers with some old 777s that occasionally fly between BOM and DEL, as required, on an ad hoc basis...

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                            That is distinctly possible. Unless the rule has been recently revoked, airlines based in India can only commence international flights when their total fleet exceeds 20 craft. It's a strange rule, most likely aimed at protecting AI.
                            They have 14 aircraft in service with 6 on order, so it might be they reach that 20 target soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                              They have 14 aircraft in service with 6 on order, so it might be they reach that 20 target soon.
                              Do any of the 6 on order have the range or size to reach destinations like LHR or FRA?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                                Do any of the 6 on order have the range or size to reach destinations like LHR or FRA?
                                I think that the planes are just at the limit of their range and just cant reach FRA or even further into LHR.

There are rumors that Vistara will place a big order of narrow and wide body airplanes in the near future (CAPA reports 50 narrow and 50 wide bodies) and CAPA claims that the intention is to start Longhaul by the end of 2018. The rumor says that they may lease 787s from SQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X