Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uber, Gitane and SQ1 SFO-SIN in New Economy Class (77WN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great report as usual Yflyer! Just to ask at what flight normally this new 77WN flight will be on for flights to/fro SFO? I'm really keen on going to SFO next year for a long break.. what about the A350? When is the augural flight for that for this route? any idea??

Comment

Originally posted by Hajimbo View Post
      great report as usual Yflyer! Just to ask at what flight normally this new 77WN flight will be on for flights to/fro SFO? I'm really keen on going to SFO next year for a long break.. what about the A350? When is the augural flight for that for this route? any idea??
      SQ 1/2 are always flown by the 77WN. SQ 15/16 will get the 77WR early next year... there are no indications yet that SFO will bcome an A350 route.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
        You neglected to mention that Über can be as much as 4x as high in SF as it is in LA.

Go to Help->Account->I'd like to know what my rating is
        Thanks, HUGE AL! I did use that function to ask Uber what my rating was...I got an email from Uber some time later, and my rating was a 4.9. Which begs the question, which driver dragged my rating down by 0.1?

Can Uber prices be really 4x higher in SF than LA? Are you referring to surge pricing? I heard the surge pricing can hit incredible levels at peak periods. I never encountered anything more than 1.4x the fare, but I didn't really use Uber during super-peak periods.

Comment

Originally posted by saobangpo View Post
          sure, perhaps they can start naming the new a359s. so, we could potentially find ourselves on a jet named "joo chiat" or "punggol" on a nonstop flight to ams, lax, or nyc

don't think they should name the jets after people/personalities (think "ah meng"). although naming planes after local food might see btc requests go through the roof.
          I liked the way SQ used to name not planes, but plane types. Enjoyed flying 744 "Megatops" and 343 "Celestars".

I didn't find the name for the 777, "Jubilee" that evocative, though.

Too bad they didn't carry on this tradition into the A380 era. One can only imagine what they would have called the A380...
          Last edited by yflyer; 17 November 2015, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
            Another great report, as usual. I thought it was very interesting that a dedicated Indian selection was available for the catering. Are there a lot of Indian travellers ex-SFO?
            Thanks, eminere™!

Yes, a fair number of Indian travellers and families, typically IT professionals, enroute from the Bay Area to India (Typically continuing onward to Bangalore, Hyderabad or Chennai). This is an Air India code share as well, so you get superb Indian food on this flight in Y. Quite a few babies onboard as well.

Most flights from SFO-SIN (either SQ1 or SQ15 via ICN) I have been on have had a good mix of Singaporeans/Malaysians (The accent is an obvious giveaway), Indonesians and other ASEAN residents, Indians and an increasing number of PRC Chinese, and many Americans/Caucasians as well...

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
              Great report!!

Following the absence of the breakfast muffin, looks like the yoghurt has been removed from the breakfast tray as well...
              Thanks, ycp81!

Yes, no muffin and no yogurt. Sign of the times, I guess. Every airline seems to be cutting back, so SQ is not worse that CX, JL or others in that respect. That said, a muffin and yoghurt would have been a nice addition to the Y breakfast menu. Hopefully they include these items in PEY at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
                Thank you for the great report! I really appreciate your time and effort in creating an easy to read and entertaining trip report that is not too picture or word heavy. I'm looking forward to SFO for this Christmas.
                Thanks, Tonitan! Glad you enjoyed reading it! Have a great trip to SF in December!

Comment

Originally posted by banoffi View Post
                  Excellent report! really enjoyed reading it, and makes me want to go to SFO again!

14:45 hrs from SFO to HK!? Think I need to be able to afford a J class ticket before I will attempt it...heh.
                  Thanks, banoffi!

Yes a very long sector, but if you need to do it in economy, then SQ is the best way to do it!

The timing of SQ1 works well too, because it is a late night departure out of SFO. You board, eat, maybe watch a movie, then hopefully get some Y-sleep, and when you wake up, it is morning in Hong Kong...

This is a route which would be great for the new Premium Economy product too. I hope they introduce PEY on this sector soon.

But yes, J (or F) would be heaven on such a long flight. There is very limited upgrade or redemption availability on this sector because of its popularity. I've never been able to do a points upgrade from Y to J on this sector.

Comment

Originally posted by Hajimbo View Post

Thanks, Hajimbo!

And thanks too, leops1984, for answering Hajimbo's questions...

Hopefully SQ1/2 will also get the 77WR with Premium Economy once more of those planes become available.

Wonder why they don't use the A380 to SFO.

Also hope they start SIN-SFO direct using the long range A359s.

Comment

Great set of TRs as usual yflyer! Glad my In-n-Out recommendation worked out for you. Although I recently remembered another food chain worth checking out next time you go to Southern California: Pink's Hot Dogs.

One thing that has baffled me for years is why SQ1 almost always has a significantly longer duration than CX's flights for the same route (and also operated on 77Ws).

And I agree with ycp81 that the breakfast tray looks unusually empty.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                        Wonder why they don't use the A380 to SFO.
                        I once read a trip report from January 2013 where they used an A380 on SQ 1/2, so they have done it before.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                          Great set of TRs as usual yflyer! Glad my In-n-Out recommendation worked out for you. Although I recently remembered another food chain worth checking out next time you go to Southern California: Pink's Hot Dogs.

One thing that has baffled me for years is why SQ1 almost always has a significantly longer duration than CX's flights for the same route (and also operated on 77Ws).

And I agree with ycp81 that the breakfast tray looks unusually empty.
                          I am booked on CX 873 coming Jan and travelling time also shows 14:45. Outbound is 12:00. Wonder what is with the extra time

Comment

Thanks, HUGE AL! I did use that function to ask Uber what my rating was...I got an email from Uber some time later, and my rating was a 4.9. Which begs the question, which driver dragged my rating down by 0.1?

Can Uber prices be really 4x higher in SF than LA? Are you referring to surge pricing? I heard the surge pricing can hit incredible levels at peak periods. I never encountered anything more than 1.4x the fare, but I didn't really use Uber during super-peak periods.
                            Some drivers can be tools. There are reports that if you even have your phone out, some moron will give you a 2 rating. :roll eyes:

Simply compare your distances in SF & LA. You'll see LA is MUCH less expensive.

[You DO know the button to the right of the "Quote" is for multiple quotations, right? ]
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                              I am booked on CX 873 coming Jan and travelling time also shows 14:45. Outbound is 12:00. Wonder what is with the extra time
                              Eastbound flights are always shorter due to the direction of the winds.

Comment

I liked the way SQ used to name not planes, but plane types. Enjoyed flying 744 "Megatops" and 343 "Celestars".

I didn't find the name for the 777, "Jubilee" that evocative, though.

Too bad they didn't carry on this tradition into the A380 era. One can only imagine what they would have called the A380...
                                and the 743 "big top." following on the heels of the 744 megatop, naming the a380 "ultratop" would not have been that much of a stretch

i remember the first print ads for the a343 celestar and its inaugurals to paris and sydney, what a sleek, beautiful plane. didn't they actually paint a 777 in jubilee colours (seems so long ago now)?

and let's not forget the a345 leadership. wonder what they would call the a359?

Comment

Working...
                                X