SQ Economy to Bangkok - New and Old Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
    Again, amazing attention to detail, icn.sg!

I've seen this type of power outlet on some planes. They are usually marked with a sign saying "not for passenger use" or something similar, but I've always wondered if they were live power outlets that could be used inflight, or if they were only meant to be used on the ground.
    Haha...I know this because aircraft cleaning was one of my vacation jobs when I was in school. Not sure if it can be used inflight though...

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
      That's a power outlet. The aircraft cleaners use it to power up their vacuum cleaners, but I am sure others use it for other purposes as well.
      Had the opportunity to fly on a couple of SQ A330's this week. Went to row 59 to check out the outlet again.

On one of the newer birds (If I recall correctly, this was 9V-SSG), it had a cover which said "Medical outlet"

Whereas on an older aircraft, 9V-STG, it was clearly a power outlet...

No idea if it is just the label that is different, or also the plugs. I, of course, did not open the covers...I'm curious but not that curious.

There were other subtle differences on the plane. For example, the row 59 seat G is where the tail tapers, and the centre block goes from 4 seats to 3 seats. On 9V-STG, the tray table drops down from the seat back in front, whereas on 9V-SSG, the seat has a fold out table from the armrest.
      Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Wonder if it is the angle of the shot, or are the seat pitch subtly different. The position of the power outlet vis-a-vis rows 58 and 59 appears different on the 2 aircrafts.

Comment

Will there be chances for 9V-SRJ/9V-SRL/9V-SVF to be around in SQ's fleet during Sept/Oct 2016? Looking at booking SQ975/SQ977 BKK-SIN just to get on the purple cabin before they retire and hopefully travel on TG404(operated by Thai B744) SIN-BKK too.

Comment

Originally posted by Teng0310 View Post
            Will there be chances for 9V-SRJ/9V-SRL/9V-SVF to be around in SQ's fleet during Sept/Oct 2016? Looking at booking SQ975/SQ977 BKK-SIN just to get on the purple cabin before they retire and hopefully travel on TG404(operated by Thai B744) SIN-BKK too.
            Hi, Teng0310! Based on flightradar24, 9V-SRJ is still going strong, mainly on BKK and MNL routes.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9v-srj

Nostalgia is a funny thing. I would normally have no interest in flying UA Y longhaul, but I have a USA trip coming up and I am seriously considering UA because they still have 744 services operating between Asia and North America. Of course the sweetener is getting to try their new 789 on the SIN-NRT sector.

Comment

Hi, Teng0310! Based on flightradar24, 9V-SRJ is still going strong, mainly on BKK and MNL routes.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9v-srj

Nostalgia is a funny thing. I would normally have no interest in flying UA Y longhaul, but I have a USA trip coming up and I am seriously considering UA because they still have 744 services operating between Asia and North America. Of course the sweetener is getting to try their new 789 on the SIN-NRT sector.
              Thanks for your reply

If it was me(13 years old,who flies less than 2 times a year.) I definitely would go for the 744 service since I have only been on it once and totally forgot the experience. (Unless the price comes out really unreasonable)

Comment

Thanks for your reply

If it was me(13 years old,who flies less than 2 times a year.) I definitely would go for the 744 service since I have only been on it once and totally forgot the experience. (Unless the price comes out really unreasonable)
                13 years old? Get onboard as many 744's as you can while they are still flying!

Check out the upper deck too. Apart from the 744 nose, the upper deck of the 744 is one of the nicest places to be on a long flight.

Some of my most memorable in-flight experiences have been on the upper deck or nose of the 744. In both those respects the 744 is much better than the A380. The 744 nose and upper deck are unique. The A380 cabin is just one fat tube with two cabins one on top of the other. No opportunity to create cabin spaces with unique character, like the 744/748 nose or upper deck.

Comment

Thanks for your reply

If it was me(13 years old,who flies less than 2 times a year.)
                  Wow, our youngest forumer here? Glad to see that the young is interested in air travel.

Comment

13 years old? Get onboard as many 744's as you can while they are still flying!

Check out the upper deck too. Apart from the 744 nose, the upper deck of the 744 is one of the nicest places to be on a long flight.

Some of my most memorable in-flight experiences have been on the upper deck or nose of the 744. In both those respects the 744 is much better than the A380. The 744 nose and upper deck are unique. The A380 cabin is just one fat tube with two cabins one on top of the other. No opportunity to create cabin spaces with unique character, like the 744/748 nose or upper deck.
                    Well, upper deck comes with a price tag too. I don't think my dad will let me touch his miles Being the youngest in the family, I can't decide where I want to go and which airline to take, and since my family is a big fan of SQ, A333s have always been the only choice. But on the bright side, at least I can still fly . If I'm not wrong, is Qantas the only 744 operator with Biz class at the nose section?

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                      Wow, our youngest forumer here? Glad to see that the young is interested in air travel.
                      Really? Thought there were even younger forumers here!

Comment

Just re-read through this post, and I realised I took the similar set of flights as you for my recent trip in Sep 2016 (SQ978 and SQ973, both on A330).

The Asian option are Thai food for the flights I took:

SQ978 Dinner: Tom Yum Chicken

SQ973 Brunch: Thai Red Curry Chicken

Comment

Really? Thought there were even younger forumers here!
                          I joined here when I was 15 in 2008 now I'm 23, in my final year of college persuing my degree in BS of CS.

Back in 2008, I was a little immature talking a lot of CA slang because I know people who talk like that because I live in the Bay Area (Hayward). However, as I got to college, I started maturing up a little bit more and even now I rave about SQ's newest longhaul products (Back in the day I really felt sad SQ downgraded the 744 to a 77W on SQ2/1, but a level of interest sparked for the A380 until I flew EK's A380, then realized the 77W is definitely a ton better on SQ comfort-wise).

Now I'm like a couple of SQTalkers who check fr24 except for 77W and 77WN and notify people if there are any up for maintenance/map upgrade or even a cabin refit and those weeks can come out as a refit.

Comment

Working...
                          X