X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth bidding?

Is it worth bidding for sin to USA?

Going to cost between $300-$500.

Is it worth the extra legroom and recline? But problem is I could be stuck in the middle and loose aisle access.

I already get priority bags and priority boarding anyway.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Chucksta View Post
      Is it worth bidding for sin to USA?

Going to cost between $300-$500.

Is it worth the extra legroom and recline? But problem is I could be stuck in the middle and loose aisle access.

I already get priority bags and priority boarding anyway.

Any thoughts?
      What is the minimum bid for it to fall under the 'Fair' category?

I've bid twice and got upgraded twice. Once MEL-SIN and once SIN-MEL. Paid about SG$225 for each upgrade. Pretty worth it I say. It is even better it if u can snag a bulkhead or exit row.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
        What is the minimum bid for it to fall under the 'Fair' category?

I've bid twice and got upgraded twice. Once MEL-SIN and once SIN-MEL. Paid about SG$225 for each upgrade. Pretty worth it I say. It is even better it if u can snag a bulkhead or exit row.
        I dont want to pay $$$ and be stuck in the middle. Rather sit in economy in aisle seat.

Can you still select your own seat if bid is successful? Anyway to check load factors in Y and PEY?

Comment

Originally posted by Chucksta View Post
          I dont want to pay $$$ and be stuck in the middle. Rather sit in economy in aisle seat.

Can you still select your own seat if bid is successful? Anyway to check load factors in Y and PEY?
          Yes. You can select your own seat if the bid is successful. Or rock up to the airport and try to ask for an aisle bulkhead or E-mex row.

I think Expertflyer allows you to check the load factors. You might need to subscribe to the service.

Comment

On a recent trip on the 777-300ER, 12 hour flights, both sectors had lots of space in PEY. I didn't end up bidding. It's a pity they don't close the curtains and there isn't a toilet in the PEY cabin. I have flown PEY before, but not this time. I probably should have bid. The min amount would have got me a seat! There was lots of space.

How are other airlines doing with PEY?

Comment

I have put in a Y to J upgrade for a flight on Monday BKK-SIN from a work trip.
              My bid's $205 as that's the minimum to get to the "fair" category.

Is there any way for me to find out my "chances"?

The link says I'll only know (I reckon just a "yes" or "no"?) 48 hours before.
              I called SQ but they have no clue.

Comment

Following up on my previous post, my upgrade bid was successful

I am not sure if it works that way, but I suppose it also has something to do with my original economy fare being on full-fare Y Class which was $900 for the SIN-BKK roundtrip.

Comment

Y to J upgrades possible where there no PE?

I have a return booking intended to be all PE, but on one segment (SIN-IST) no PE exists, so I was in Y, without the option to choose J for that segment instead. Now I am waitlisted for saver redemption upgrade. If the waitlist doesn't clear is it likely that I would be offered a bid upgrade instead?

Alternatively, could I opt to pay the difference in cost now to change the booking for that segment from Y to J, as J seats seem to be still available on that flight?

Comment

Originally posted by cgichard View Post
                    Alternatively, could I opt to pay the difference in cost now to change the booking for that segment from Y to J, as J seats seem to be still available on that flight?
                    It depends on the fare structure out of where you're flying out of.

Some origin countries have fares that permit a combination of PE on the first outbound segment, and either Y or J on the second outbound segment (e.g. SYD-SIN PE and SIN-IST J). However, you're probably better off just going J all the way then as the fare difference between a combination PE/J fare and a J fare may not be that much (if there is any at all). It's just the way they've chosen to market the combination fares (PE fares combine with the more expensive J fare bucket, where you may be able to get a cheaper D fare bucket all the way through).

Comment

Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
                      It depends on the fare structure out of where you're flying out of.

Some origin countries have fares that permit a combination of PE on the first outbound segment, and either Y or J on the second outbound segment (e.g. SYD-SIN PE and SIN-IST J). However, you're probably better off just going J all the way then as the fare difference between a combination PE/J fare and a J fare may not be that much (if there is any at all). It's just the way they've chosen to market the combination fares (PE fares combine with the more expensive J fare bucket, where you may be able to get a cheaper D fare bucket all the way through).
                      Thankyou. That's very interesting. I hadn't thought of that possibility. I'm flying out of MEL with a direct connection to IST in SIN. I'll give SQ a call and see what gives.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                        Yes. You can select your own seat if the bid is successful. Or rock up to the airport and try to ask for an aisle bulkhead or E-mex row.

I think Expertflyer allows you to check the load factors. You might need to subscribe to the service.

You can select your own seat based on what is remaining so it's really down to load factor and you could well end up middle seat middle row.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the availability of an upgrade with SQ025 FRA-SIN from Y in PE?

Comment

Bidding Tips & Tricks

Have a family member bidding for a PEY => J upgrade on a longhaul. Would appreciate any advice to increase chances at the lower end of the range.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              Have a family member bidding for a PEY => J upgrade on a longhaul. Would appreciate any advice to increase chances at the lower end of the range.
                              Hi HUGE AL!

Just a recap of what we discussed offline...

I have had quite good success recently for low bids (A small amount above minimum) for regional travel e.g. SIN-HKG Y to PEY, or SIN-BKK Y to J.

For PEY to J on popular long haul business routes, this might be not be so easy to get because of the large number of paid J travellers.

The website where you place upgrade bids has a dial which indicates relative strength of the bids. I normally ignore the dial, as the logic behind "weak" vs "strong" bids looks to be very simplistic and appears to have no correlation with your likelihood of a successful bid. All my successful bids have been rated "weak/poor".

Comment

Working...
                              X