Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about SQ introducing mobile boarding passes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about SQ introducing mobile boarding passes?

How do you feel about SQ introducing mobile boarding passes? SQ has SMS check-in service but not providing mobile boarding passes.

Other airlines like Air Canada, Qatar Airways, United Airlines and Finnair are already implementing it.

Is introducing mobile boarding passes more feasible and practical than Internet check in and printing online boarding pass ?

SQ currently has the following check-in modes :

Airport Check-In
    Internet Check-In
    Passenger Reconciliation System at Changi Airport
    Auto Check-In by using the Auto Check-In Machines
    SMS Check-In
    Return Check-In (check-in for your return flight at the same time as your departing flight if within 48 hours of your departure time)

SQ has removed the following check-in modes :

Down Town Check-In
    Phone and Fax Check-In
    Last edited by feb01mel; 10 August 2010, 10:27 PM.

a few, mainly US based airlines such as Continental, United have introduced mobile boarding passes but it does have its problems for passengers.

It is entirely possible to have seat mix ups.

secondly, while it will be rare, there will be occasions where the gate agent will drop the phone and destroy it as had happened on continental. SQ must be prepared to have provisions to compensate pax if their staff destroys/damage any pax phones. Putting in a clause to say they won't compensate/not liable is not equitable to pax.

Is this what the new PPS (supposedly) enhancement is about?

Comment

secondly, while it will be rare, there will be occasions where the gate agent will drop the phone and destroy it as had happened on continental. SQ must be prepared to have provisions to compensate pax if their staff destroys/damage any pax phones. Putting in a clause to say they won't compensate/not liable is not equitable to pax.
      This would be a concern for myself. Even if they will replace damaged phones, its just a hassle. What if someone doesnt have a mobile phone? Also what happens if the software uses 3G. It will cost a mint if the phone isnt in its home country.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
        This would be a concern for myself. Even if they will replace damaged phones, its just a hassle. What if someone doesnt have a mobile phone? Also what happens if the software uses 3G. It will cost a mint if the phone isnt in its home country.
        I personally have used mobile BPs on LX. LH offers them as well (don't know about other airlines in the LH group). They are not available from every point of departure though. On either carrier, one can receive them by sms or e-mail. You then need a web enabled phone to display the BP which could be a cost problem depending on one's data contract. The dropping is not really a problem, as the passenger just holds his/her phone under the scanner.

Having said that, I still prefer the traditional BPs...nicely fold into my passport and the stub is always good to have. Even when using OLCI, I never print my own BP.
        /Desert Traveller

Comment

I think paper boarding passes is really a old school stuff in this century, although I love to keep them. The normal one using now is actually too big, why the airlines have to keep the bigger portion if they are to be collected? (I love CX as they give back the whole boarding pass after scanning) If the size of the boarding pass can be reduced to half size, that means we saved 50% of paper

For mobile boarding passes, I don't think it is a very useful method as the user have to use a data service which can download picture (Normally 3D bar-code), and sometime the scanner cannot read the phones' monitor.

Moreover, can airlines use other methods like integrating the boarding pass with their frequent flyer card?

Example 1, make the frequent flyer card like a ez-link in singapore, with cordless transfer, everytime when check-in, agent just get your card and insert the virtual boarding pass inside.

Example 2, to use a rewritable card for members, like them:

It is a cheaper method than using "ez-link" method, just print all the members info at the back, and everytime rewrite the boarding info at the front, easy, right?

Comment

deleted
            Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:43 PM.

Comment

What's an immobile boarding pass then?

Comment

I like my BPs on paper printed from the SQ counter.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                  I like my BPs on paper printed from the SQ counter.
                  Your not the only one.

Comment

Why can they not link the boarding pass details to the passport number?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                      Why can they not link the boarding pass details to the passport number?
                      Beause PP numbers do change and you do not always enter your PP details when you book an air ticket.
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

MH has had mobile boarding passes for almost a year now (albeit only for domestic flights and flights to Singapore).

So SQ should be ashamed for still not having them.

Comment

Working...
                        X