Kindly Recommend A Perth Hotel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindly Recommend A Perth Hotel

As luck would have it, I'm in Perth in two weeks time, and I've pre-booked (cancellations possible) myself into the Perth Hilton and Sheraton.

Incidentally, both hotels are about to leave their group come 2011, so I'll just manage to squeeze in...

Any thoughts on either hotel? Should I cancel one or the other?

I'll be renting a car locally and may blast down to visit Margaret River for a day trip and back at night. However if there are any other hotels of interest (or indeed, if anyone can recommend staying somehwere at Margaret River), I might keep my options open

Stayed at Hyatt (Regency?) couple yrs back. It's not exactly new anymore but sufficiently comfy and offered good price for package breakfast and carpark. It's located in East Perth which is more than a stroll to the centre (train station , myers, etc) but if you re driving out shdnt b issue.

Comment

I have stayed in all three with top tier status in each programe and of those two I would definitely go for the Sheraton. While I think they spoiled it somewhat when they closed the lounge on the top floor with great views and opened a much larger one with no views lower down, it's still a good hotel and as a Plat you 'should' get a nice suite.

After this I would go for the Hyatt as I do not like the Hilton at all. Apart from being very tired (it may have had a refit, I was there 4 or 5 years ago) the staff there were some of the rudest I have ever come across and I will not be going back.

The Sheraton is changing to a Pan Pacific isn't it ?

Comment

Make sure you get a renovated room if staying at the Sheraton. I stayed at the Sheraton for 1 night back in March and got an unrenovated suite which was rather dated.

It's 2.5 hours each way to/from Margaret River. I recommend staying down there for at least 1 night. We enjoyed the Quay West Resort: http://www.mirvachotels.com/quay-west-resort-bunker-bay

I haven't stayed but friends recommended Windmills Break (it was full when we tried to book).

Yep Sheraton will be rebranded as Pan Pacific. Starwood's presence in Australia/NZ is woeful, and it's difficult to remain loyal when I've been doing domestic trips. The Westin Brisbane and aLoft Sydney were shelved, we nearly lost the 4P Sydney and the Westin Auckland is rumoured to be switching to Sofitel. As a result we maintain secondary programs with Accor (!) and Hilton.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 November 2010, 03:51 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, both of you - will look into instead diverting one night to Margaret River and the first night in Sheraton on a FWN.

I was going to use an April '11-expiring Q3FN but I think that's poor value if the Hilton Perth is really that outrageous. Certainly don't want to be dealing with an inhospitable establishment.

Comment

Out of those two I would pick the Sheraton but keep in mind its not that close to shopping malls (Hay & Murray st malls) as the Hilton. If you can change the Duxton (one block away from the Sheraton) or Burswood Intercontinental (about 5 mins from the city on the Swan river) would be my choices. Its good that you have hired a car, public transport or taxis are pretty woeful here.

Comment

Thanks, that's another vote against the Sheraton (by a local, no less)... thanks very much for the tips, I *do* need to use an expiring free night and with the AUD going skywards at the moment, I intend to use it at this property as it fits my schedule. I'll probably need a GPS to get around, though.

I heard parking is also horribly expensive (35AUD for general parking and 42AUD for valet per day? OUCH!)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                I heard parking is also horribly expensive (35AUD for general parking and 42AUD for valet per day? OUCH!)
                Parking is not the only expensive thing in Perth unfortunately.

Comment

Why stay in Perth city centre ? I stayed at scarborough beach villa...145 a night..free parking few mths ago.

Comment

Sorry to re-hash an old thread, but didn't really like the idea of creating a new thread....

That being said, the Sheraton Perth has now become the Pan Pacific Perth... Actually it became the Pan Pacific almost a month ago... but you know... Been a while since Pan Pacific has been in this neck of the woods - I think the last one was the Pan Pacific Auckland before becoming the Carlton Auckland and now the Rendezvous Auckland...

Comment

Working...
                    X