DBS Altitude Amex Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DBS Altitude Amex Card

DBS Altitude Card now providing 1.6 miles for every S$1 spend (after the first $1,000 per month) !

You must be pulling those miles in then!

Comment

That's very attractive - I'll surely switch to this card,
      unless the Citi PremierMiles card can come up with something as good.
      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

The only drawback is that Amex is still not as widely accepted as Visa.
        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

You need to earn S$80k per annum, whereas the AMEX PPS platinum card only requires S$30k per annum.

Comment

I've heard it mentioned that unofficially DBS Altitude will still allow a $50k per annum entry requirement - it depends if people apply or not (and I don't think their take-up is that great).

Comment

Other then not so widely accepted,
              1. The miles need to be transferred in blocks of 1000 DBS pts= 2000 KrisFlyer or Asia Miles, hence will waste some points in small numbers or need to spend more; Premiermiles allows you to transfer in any amount greater den 500miles.
              2. The annual FFP fee of S$42.80 (including GST) is applicable and non-waivable. PremilerMiles charges S$25 per transfer. Better if you seldom transfer
              3. Higher admin fees of 3% for DBS AMEX compared to Citibank's VISA's 1.5% for overseas transactions.
              4. Lastly, can transfer to Asia Miles & KrisFlyer only. PremierMiles can transfer to KrisFlyer, THAI's Royal Orchid Plus & Delta's SkyMiles. [Asia Miles (no good rate, need to x0.40)]

DBS: Transaction in Foreign Currencies
              All transactions in foreign currency are subject to a charge imposed by the respective card associations, either as a reimbursement charge representing the charge imposed on us or as a direct charge to you. For foreign charges converted by American Express, American Express applies a conversion factor of 1% to the converted amount.

An administrative fee for services provided or actions taken by us in relation to such foreign currency transactions shall be payable by you and debited to your Card Account. The prevailing administrative fee is 2% of the foreign currency transaction amount for transactions involving American Express International, Inc.
              Last edited by ; 9 May 2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                I've heard it mentioned that unofficially DBS Altitude will still allow a $50k per annum entry requirement - it depends if people apply or not (and I don't think their take-up is that great).
                Ignore the income requirement. Anyone who earns above $40K should try. I got mine when I was doing under $40K PA 2 years back.
                Life's A Bitch,
                Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by yongchau View Post
                  Other then not so widely accepted,
                  1. The miles need to be transferred in blocks of 1000 DBS pts= 2000 KrisFlyer or Asia Miles, hence will waste some points in small numbers or need to spend more; Premiermiles allows you to transfer in any amount greater den 500miles.
                  2. The annual FFP fee of S$42.80 (including GST) is applicable and non-waivable. PremilerMiles charges S$25 per transfer. Better if you seldom transfer
                  3. Higher admin fees of 3% for DBS AMEX compared to Citibank's VISA's 1.5% for overseas transactions.
                  4. Lastly, can transfer to Asia Miles & KrisFlyer only. PremierMiles can transfer to KrisFlyer, THAI's Royal Orchid Plus & Delta's SkyMiles. [Asia Miles (no good rate, need to x0.40)]

DBS: Transaction in Foreign Currencies
                  All transactions in foreign currency are subject to a charge imposed by the respective card associations, either as a reimbursement charge representing the charge imposed on us or as a direct charge to you. For foreign charges converted by American Express, American Express applies a conversion factor of 1% to the converted amount.

An administrative fee for services provided or actions taken by us in relation to such foreign currency transactions shall be payable by you and debited to your Card Account. The prevailing administrative fee is 2% of the foreign currency transaction amount for transactions involving American Express International, Inc.
                  For most frequent travelers here, the conversion rate is probably one of their lesser concern. We don't pay for it anyway. Acceptance isn't really the issue as well. Hotel, Airfares will be accepted.

But there is one major issue. DBS's points expire yearly. Coupled with KF's expiry of 3 years, there is a net max timeline of 4 years to utilise the points. Unless one does over 50 - 80K miles, otherwise, it really isn't worthwhile sometimes.

The fact it is DBS points instead of conventional miles also mean more flexibility, and I like the fact that its conversion ratio to AsiaMiles is much better, but beyond that, Citi's 10K free miles yearly (if you spend 50K) and 10K miles if one pay for annual fee makes it overall a more compelling affair.

What I like most about Citi, is the fact that Citi's miles don't expire.
                  Life's A Bitch,
                  Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Comment

http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards...x/default.aspx

Earn up to 1.6 miles for every dollar with no DBS Points expiry. Get off to a flying start with an automatic 1.2 miles for every dollar you charge. And when you spend over S$1000 per month, you will receive an amazing 1.6 miles for every additional dollar spent. And, best of all, your points never expire.

Comment

Originally posted by yongchau View Post
                      http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards...x/default.aspx

Earn up to 1.6 miles for every dollar with no DBS Points expiry. Get off to a flying start with an automatic 1.2 miles for every dollar you charge. And when you spend over S$1000 per month, you will receive an amazing 1.6 miles for every additional dollar spent. And, best of all, your points never expire.
                      Thanks for the correction. Now, that changes the entire landscape . Well almost...

The last thing that works in Citi's favour would be its 10K free miles yearly if I spend over 50K.
                      Life's A Bitch,
                      Love It

Comment

Transfer to Asia Miles or KrisFlyer must be in blocks of 1000 DBS Points = 2000 Miles. Hence you need to keep track of your spending or spend more, if not you will lose out on balance points which cannot be transferred. Or if you have urgent need to use the points, you can't transfer the amount of miles you want. Say you have 1500 DBS Points, you can only transfer 1000 DBS points = 2000 miles, but you are short of say 2700 Miles. Hence you need to find ways to top up the balance 700 miles, which can be quite irritating.

On the other hand, if you use the Citi premiermiles card (S$1 = 1.2 miles) or Citi Clear Platinum or Citi VISA Platinum (which offers 5x rewards at certain merchants, S$1 = 2 miles), the minimum amount to transfer to FFPs is any amount greater than 500 miles, eg 1234 miles, and need not be in blocks of certain amount, hence greater flexibility. The admin fee for Citi Premiermiles is S$25 per transfer, same for Citi Clear Platinum & Citi VISA Platinum. The Citidollars for Citi Clear Platinum & Citi VISA Platinum can be combined to transfer to FFPs, but Citimiles cannot combine with Citidollars to transfer to FFPs, hence you need to pay S$25 + S$25 per transfer for all 3 cards to FFPs. (the slight drawback of Citibank cards, compared to S$42.80 per annum for DBS cards)

But DBS Altitude card is a better card to earn points to redeem for vouchers as the amount needed to spend to redeem vouchers is lesser compared to other banks' cards, now that DBS awards 4x points after the first S$1000 per month.
                        Last edited by ; 10 May 2010, 05:41 PM.

Comment

i think the uob visa infinite has quite a good conversion rate. $1.25 to 1 mile, or $0.83 to 1 mile if you do overseas transactions

Comment

Another good thing about Citi Premiermiles is the free Airport Pass membership (good for 2 free visits per year) that come in handy when you don't expect it ... like when i flew Virgin Blue in Sydney and got stuck there a while.

How much you charge monthly also determines what card you use ... but if you charge a lot, then DBS' 1.6 conversion rate is a pretty compelling a reason to make it top-of-wallet. Come on Citi, respond!

Comment

yeah i think premier miles wld b better considering that you dont have to transfer in blocks.

Yet again, the DBS altitude has the best conversion yet in town.

Comment

Working...
                              X