item stolen from suitcase- what steps to take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• item stolen from suitcase- what steps to take

hello everyone... your assistance is appreciated. on the 13th i flew from tpe-lax... the last thing i packed was a $1400 Dolce Gabbana leather jacket. today, i went to unpack my bags, the jacket was gone. no one had been in contact with my bags at all, except for the airlines. i am extremely disappointed, because i really have no tolerance for theft. what steps should i take? should i start by contacting the airline or tpe airport. anybody else who has had experience in this matter, i would greatly appreciate any advice. thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear, taipeiflyer...

I'd start with the airline. I take it this is not SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      Sorry to hear, taipeiflyer...

I'd start with the airline. I take it this is not SQ.
      nope, first time in a LONG time i did not take SQ from TPE, and i am really regretting it right now.

Comment

Possibly MH? Anyway sorry to hear about your experience. Definitely contact the airline first and then check in lost/found (which you've probably already done). Lastly - did your luggage have a lock/was it tampered with if so?

Comment

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice, not having experience with this sort of things. But I'm really sorry to hear what happened taipeiflyer, and I do hope it gets sorted out soon.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Possibly MH? Anyway sorry to hear about your experience. Definitely contact the airline first and then check in lost/found (which you've probably already done). Lastly - did your luggage have a lock/was it tampered with if so?
            it was a BR flight. i tried contacting the airline, but the offices were closed i will do that first thing in the morning. i did not have locks on my luggage.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your experience, taipeiflyer.
              Definitely try the airline... hopefully they will find the item somewhere.
              To be honest though, I wouldn't put much hope if I were you. Even if this was SQ, I doubt they will do much to reimburse the cost of the jacket to you.

Any travel insurance? Credit card travel insurance coverage perhaps?

Sorry for not being able to help more - just throwing ideas here.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                hello everyone... your assistance is appreciated. on the 13th i flew from tpe-lax... the last thing i packed was a $1400 Dolce Gabbana leather jacket. today, i went to unpack my bags, the jacket was gone. no one had been in contact with my bags at all, except for the airlines. i am extremely disappointed, because i really have no tolerance for theft. what steps should i take? should i start by contacting the airline or tpe airport. anybody else who has had experience in this matter, i would greatly appreciate any advice. thanks in advance.
                SQFG, can you please change taipeiflyer's name to DRAMA?

You know I'm kidding, buddy, but I've NEVER met someone who has so much bad luck. It's just terrible!

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                nope, first time in a LONG time i did not take SQ from TPE, and i am really regretting it right now.
                I told you not to fly them and take the MH flight.

Your recourse will be a tough one. Do you have a carrier contact at LAX? If not, I might be able to drum one up. Then again...it could be the Gestapo Patrol at LAX...

Yeah, StarG's advice is on point. If you purchased it with a CC, you can file a police report, call them with the report number, and they can reimburse you the purchase price.
                HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  SQFG, can you please change taipeiflyer's name to DRAMA?

You know I'm kidding, buddy, but I've NEVER met someone who has so much bad luck. It's just terrible!

Your recourse will be a tough one. Do you have a carrier contact at LAX? If not, I might be able to drum one up. Then again...it could be the Gestapo Patrol at LAX...
                  thank you very much everyone for the comments. i am not expecting any reimbursement to be honest, but i definitely want to lodge a complaint. perhaps there have been other complaints and they can investigate the issue further, and perhaps look at time logs to find out who the thief is.

Comment

I would also file a police report as this will give the claim whether against the airline or insurance company more weight.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      To be fair, it would seem that ground handling is the culprit, so not necessarily an issue of airline flown, SQ, BR or MH?

Comment

Sorry to hear about the theft. It's unacceptable - and echoing what everyone else has said here, I'd definitely lodge a report and see what you can get back from the airline or airport

Comment

I just read through my travel insurance policy and they do cover personal items lost through theft. Perhaps you could try your travel insurance company or credit card insurance provider? I'd also echo other people's advice about filing a police report as this is one of the requirements for filing a claim with the travel insurance provider. Of course this wouldn't really help you recover the actual jacket and doesn't extend to the sentimental value of the jacket if any, but at least you do get some form of monetary compensation.
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I would suggest the following:
                            1) File a police report at both TPE and LAX since for now we do not know which end the theft occured.
                            2) File a complaint with BR. I think the jurisdiction with the airline paying you ends when the bags have left the airport.
                            3) Make a claim with your insurance company for the loss
                            4) Get a PI to fingerprint your bag. Especially the zipper (if your's was a zipped bag) and lid as thief would have had to open it. It might leave some clues and turn something up.
                            5) If you are determined to go further, swab the bag as there might be traces of prespiration on the bag that would leave DNA trails. If these and the fingerprints match, you might have found your thief.

Yes, I admit to being a CSI-junkie

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              4) Get a PI to fingerprint your bag. Especially the zipper (if your's was a zipped bag) and lid as thief would have had to open it. It might leave some clues and turn something up.
                              5) If you are determined to go further, swab the bag as there might be traces of prespiration on the bag that would leave DNA trails. If these and the fingerprints match, you might have found your thief.

Yes, I admit to being a CSI-junkie
                              Whoa, don't mess with 9V-JKL!

Comment

Working...
                              X