KrisFlyer Devaluation: Changes to KrisFlyer Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    I was hoping that the Standard Award redemption rates would fall as the new cabins rolled out. It turns out that was hope springing eternal, in futility.
    Apparently so.

I fear this is where we're headed ... if we haven't jumped ship by then.

Oh well, it's a good time to exercise my ability to let go.
    I'm surprised that you haven't already jumped ship long ago! After all some other *A FFPs we know are much more generous than KF even prior to this latest devaluation...?

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      I'm surprised that you haven't already jumped ship long ago! After all some other *A FFPs we know are much more generous than KF even prior to this latest devaluation...?
      One foot in the sinking ship, one foot in the life raft. Given my redemption patterns, KF actually was, until quite recently, a viable alternative to BD for someone who was primarily a OW flyer and who was interested only in SQ redemptions.

But that has changed since then.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I'm happy you have more equanimity about your stock of miles and upcoming redemptions. But do make some allowance for a bit of outrage among those of us who would like to redeem regularly, OK?
        I understand being outraged but todays change only confirms that there is now an extra bucket of award availability (at ridiculous levels... thats agreed), and you can now book one way awards at 50%. This means if a saver is available in one direction you can book it , and use a standard on the return... this may add more flexibility when trying to do a return redemption booking when saver award is not available in both directions.

The new rules state:

6. With the introduction of the Full award, will there be fewer seats available for the Saver award and Standard award?

No, seats for the Full award will be made available in addition to the seats set aside for the Saver award and Standard award.

With the new rules it will make it easier to book an online 15% discounted open jaw return ticket (albeit in two separate bookings) e.g sin-mel then return syd-sin.

Im not saying that this is a great day for KF members, I am also really irritated that the redemptions levels on the new aircraft have not been addressed. I sincerely hope that this will change in the future as competing airlines upgrade their products. I admit it does not look good at the moment, but lets hope that issue will be resolved eventually, Im sure the management are fully aware of what we think of it, but I think if SQ want to remain competitive they may have a change of heart soon enough. Wishful thinking? perhaps... but I will still keep my hopes up.

D
        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
          lets hope that issue will be resolved eventually, Im sure the management are fully aware of what we think of it, but I think if SQ want to remain competitive they may have a change of heart soon enough. Wishful thinking? perhaps... but I will still keep my hopes up.

D

This is very naive... and precisely what SQ management are hoping for... for people to wait and see long enough to forget the details and then start dropping the Saver aware level, just like they have done with the PPS announcements (from "god-like" to "like it or not")..

Another very poor move from SQ and yet again, one that only vindicates the reduced spend... considering current events, they're going to start paying the price (not directly connected but linked to the fare increase on European routes, I've just switched 100% of trips from my non-SIN based team to another carrier who is offering us a better discount base and some perks - this represents a significant dollar value as these were people transiting via SIN on the way to/back from Europe; now we mix and match for SIN based travelers with incentives to fly on another carrier via HKG)…

Comment

I understand being outraged but todays change only confirms that there is now an extra bucket of award availability (at ridiculous levels... thats agreed), and you can now book one way awards at 50%. This means if a saver is available in one direction you can book it , and use a standard on the return... this may add more flexibility when trying to do a return redemption booking when saver award is not available in both directions.

The new rules state:

6. With the introduction of the Full award, will there be fewer seats available for the Saver award and Standard award?

No, seats for the Full award will be made available in addition to the seats set aside for the Saver award and Standard award.
            [The availability of a new tier of Full Awards] doesn't have to [directly reduce saver availability on specific flights]; the fleet upgrade and 744 phaseout are doing that de facto [across the long-haul routes]...

The concern is about how the Standard rates are becoming the default.
            (I added implicit phrases in square brackets above, as it seems you may have missed them.)

---------------------

Do you have hard evidence that suggest that things would change as the A380s and 77Ws are delivered (and even before the 744s are phased out)? We're all reading tea leaves, but the shape of things to come doesn't look as positive for some of us.
            I sincerely hope that this will change in the future as competing airlines upgrade their products. I admit it does not look good at the moment, but lets hope that issue will be resolved eventually, Im sure the management are fully aware of what we think of it, but I think if SQ want to remain competitive they may have a change of heart soon enough. Wishful thinking? perhaps... but I will still keep my hopes up.
            I like optimists -- they counterbalance old fogies like me , so more power to them -- but I think I'll hedge my bets but I'll surely be happy to buy you a drink if I'm proved wrong.

Comment

A little bot from the future just appeared and told me that sometime in the hazy future, the programme with the best earn-to-burn ratio and loved by savvy frequent flyers everywhere is...

SPG Flights...

Comment

Do SQ and QF recruit their staff from the same School of Bean Counting or what?

Anyway this seems v reminiscent of the recent changes to QFF, except that there seems to be no option to offset the miles required with cash in this instance.

I reckon that they've simply narrowed their target market down to corporate travellers with corporate credit card linked Krisflyer accounts with 7 figure balances - ie the only people who can afford the new Full awards. Whilst this might on the surface seem to make sense from the airline's pov, IMO it reeks of short termism when it is no secret that the corporate travel market tends to fluctuate and is in fact currently softening.

someone who was primarily a OW flyer and who was interested only in SQ redemptions.
                Sounds v familiar, except gramatically that's an 'is' for me.
                Though my redemptions are via DC and M+M. I figured that it's either missing out on the 77W/A380 awards altogether, or burn a ridiculous amount of miles for them - at the end of the day I just need to get somewhere comfortably and affordably.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Dear Singapore Airlines,

What's with the space shuttle prices?

Please explain, thank you

Obviously, the Savage25 effect, if left unchecked, tends to increase exponentially...

Comment

(I added implicit phrases in square brackets above, as it seems you may have missed them.)

---------------------

I like optimists -- they counterbalance old fogies like me , so more power to them -- but I think I'll hedge my bets but I'll surely be happy to buy you a drink if I'm proved wrong.
                    I did not miss them thanks jjpb3... I am quite aware of the situation. I was just trying to point out that today's announcement did not actually make anyone worse off than we were yesterday, in fact its an improved situation since yesterday.

btw - thanks for the bold highlights and fantastic use of the quote system we could go on analysing this all day but it's time for some shuteye here.
                    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

btw - thanks for the bold highlights and fantastic use of the quote system we could go on analysing this all day but it's time for some shuteye here.
                      You're most welcome. Nighty night.

Comment

At the exorbitant rates of 'Full' awards, I'd expect them to print "Beyond First", "Beyond Business" and "Beyond Economy" boarding passes for the pax. And special "Full Awards Lounge" with exclusive access - no paid pax allowed.

Did they mention which booking class will those book into?
                        We know 'Unrestricted' used to book into A for First and D for Business.

Indeed it looks like they are trying to make the Unrestricted awards seem less expensive.
                        Perhaps in time, phase out Saver awards when enough members are used to the double-miles rates.

Comment

Im not saying that this is a great day for KF members, I am also really irritated that the redemptions levels on the new aircraft have not been addressed. I sincerely hope that this will change in the future as competing airlines upgrade their products. I admit it does not look good at the moment, but lets hope that issue will be resolved eventually, Im sure the management are fully aware of what we think of it, but I think if SQ want to remain competitive they may have a change of heart soon enough. Wishful thinking? perhaps... but I will still keep my hopes up.
                          I won't bother bolding the 'hope' and 'wishful' comments a la jjpb3, but I afraid I can almost guarantee that your wishful thinking will be misplaced. This is SQ, remember.

I agree that the changes to the one way awards is a welcome change, and with SQ these days we should be grateful for small mercies, but as you correctly say thay have not addressed the lack of saver awards on the 77W or A380 in J*. As the 744's slowly but surely and sadly leave, we will have no longhaul options at normal rates.

*They are never going to allow any redemption in Suites imho.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                            Perhaps in time, phase out Saver awards when enough members are used to the double-miles rates.
                            And here I was thinking that I'm the cynic.
                            The scary thing is that what you said might well be plausible, looking at the way they've operated so far.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I know the TPR access rules are under review at the moment, but I cannot help but wonder if they would be hard faced enough to even block access to those on a Full Award in F as well.

I would pay very good money to witness the reaction of an innocent pax who happens on TPR for the first time and is told he is 'not invited' to the only decent lounge they have got after spending all those miles...

Comment

It will be interesting to know the booking classes.

Saver: O/I/X
                                Standard: A/D/?
                                Full: (F/J/Y)???

Comment

Working...
                                X