Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One year after PPS Changes. Any comments? Suggestions? Expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year after PPS Changes. Any comments? Suggestions? Expectations?

As we all remembered, 1st of September 2007, about a year ago, PPS Club has changed. Remember this thread? Now everything is based on PPSV. No more PPS Sectors. No more LifePPS.
    I am sure SQ would appreciate our thoughts here. I know many of you guys are very very frequent flyers on Singapore Airlines, as well as on other airlines. Your comments, suggestions, expectations, or even disappointments would be a valuable input for all of us.
    I hope you all have a civilized discussion here.
    Looking forward to read your thoughts.

Been PPS for one year and my question is what's the point? I fly SQ because I enjoy their business and first class service. Being PPS provides me with no value whatsoever that I can see. Oh yeah, the check in girl at the Mulia was a little nicer to me when she saw I had a PPS card. That's basically all I've ever noticed from being PPS.

Comment

My thoughts are that SQ has seriously devalued the PPS program particularly higher hurdle rate with substantially reduced benefits. My main value in the past with PPS are as follows:

a. FC Lounge access flying biz. No longer there as QPPS. Wish - With T3 Lounge opened up, access to FC lounges should be reconsidered.

b. Birth Day Gift - Not that we are greedy for their gifts, but it is the thought that matters. Wish - With higher hurdle rate, SQ should reinstate the benefit.

c. Priority - Previously based on number of years as member. No more considerations. Wish - Either a cumulative sectors or number of years or combination should be considered. Why return to zero with each reset...no logic. Strangely, some non-priority pax gets upgraded according to some postings.

d. Priority Standby - Don't seems to be working anymore.

e. Upgrades - Never existed for me. Still waiting despite culling of PPS numbers.

f. Solitaire - Higher and further away effective 1st Sep 2007. Would have achieved by now if based on sector.

Did not feel so Special about PPS since 1st Sep 2007. Achieving PPS more from need to travel rather than aiming to get it. Still waiting for upgradings of the PPS system. Don't think SQ will degrade the PPS System for the time being with downturn in global travel though.
      Last edited by LionCity; 6 September 2008, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah, and what about the promised 'God-like' treatment SQ management said that you'd get?

Comment

I've got 1 month left of PPS....in the last year, I've taken one award redemption flight in Y. I might take a last hurrah flight to Bali next month just before my PPS expires
          In the last 2.5 years, I've directed close to AUD$40k in travel towards SQ, but it seems that is not enough for SQ...I'm sure QF et al will be happy to pick that up.

My reasons for leaving: raising the qualification bar, and reducing the benefits significantly

Comment

Taken my custom elsewhere.......

Sad to say, but after a decade of PPS I decided to take my custom elsewhere.

When I started flying SQ in the early nineties they really were streets ahead of anyone else. Raffles was better than anyone else's First, and First was in a league of its own.

Times change.

First in the air, where one by one the 'extras' went - the little gifts (I'm sure they didn't cost much - but were a lovely souvenir or small present)....and others.

Then, on the ground - when I started flying SQ there were no other lounges in the same league as Krisflyer - now, frankly, they are no better than the top end of 'average'. I am dreading the prospect of HKG tomorrow evening.

The 'improvements' to PPS were designed to make the lounges 'more exclusive' - has it worked? Providing better lounges was obviously not a solution that recommended itself.

So, tonight, I fly to Australia, on VS (Club House streets ahead of SQ) - but am taking a side trip down memory lane blowing the last of my SQ miles on HKG-CGK....in F.....I wonder how that will compare with VS UC.

Time (under 3 hours to chauffeur pick up) will tell.

The SQ of the nineties was an airline to be proud of - I was in Jakarta when Soeharto was overthrown - and the one thing that worked was SQ - simply running 747s round the clock to get people out.....we shall not see their like again....nor they, me.

Comment

Frequent flyer programs are costing money - that is a matter of fact. SQ did a smart move when they were asking for money instead of miles to enter the PPS Club - at the end of the day it is not how often you show up at the airport but how much money they make with you...

At the same time, SQ took the liberty to cut cost per member by eliminating perks and basically increasing award prices by 100% for the 77W and the A380. I am afraid they were a bit over-ambitious here:

Not allowing F check-in for QPP anymore was wrong, raising the prices for award flights as well. There are no perks when flying in J at all - other then you might get your meal choice. Comparing my perks as a SEN on LH to PPS on SQ, LH wins hands down. Generous 300% reward miles in F, booking guarantees in C, guaranteed awards at just 150%.

SQ has faced a lot of criticism and while many have not much choice but flying SQ, they will launch some "modifications" to their program soon.

I have to note though that all my complaints and inquiries have been adressed and resolved in a very short timeframe and the service level has been always great.

Let's see what 2009 will bring for us...

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                Let's see what 2009 will bring for us...
                I don't care. They have lost my custom for good. Silver Kris FC lounge in HK not bad, if a tad uninspiring. Miles behind Virgin Club House tho.....

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                  Not allowing F check-in for QPP anymore was wrong, raising the prices for award flights as well. There are no perks when flying in J at all - other then you might get your meal choice. Comparing my perks as a SEN on LH to PPS on SQ, LH wins hands down. Generous 300% reward miles in F, booking guarantees in C, guaranteed awards at just 150%.
                  F check-in has never been a benefit for QPP. They might have served QPPs traveling in J or Y as a courtesy (perhaps when J counters are busy but F counter is empty) but by right they can turn QPPs away.

I am not sure if being a PPS even guarantee your meal choice. I have not gotten the main course of my choice traveling in J as a TPP. It really depends on whether or not the crew in your cabin has the initiative to do that extra something to recognize PPS members.

Comment

Originally posted by kpc View Post
                    I've got 1 month left of PPS....in the last year, I've taken one award redemption flight in Y. I might take a last hurrah flight to Bali next month just before my PPS expires
                    In the last 2.5 years, I've directed close to AUD$40k in travel towards SQ, but it seems that is not enough for SQ...I'm sure QF et al will be happy to pick that up.

My reasons for leaving: raising the qualification bar, and reducing the benefits significantly
                    That's why yer being culled. With only AUD$16k a year, you're in that category of PPS that is deemed not to be pulling its weight of cash for SIA. Of course, you're Mr Money Bags compared to me who never paid more than S$10k per year for PPS and even got by on a couple of years at S$6k.

Although I never quite worked out how SQ arrived at that magic figure of S$25k.

As for the delay in introducing new bennies for those PPS who survived the culling, perhaps they are waiting for the last of the bottom-feeders like yours truly who will expire next year to go before introducing the God like treatment - no point wasting good money on those scum who won't cough up the necessary S$25k. I myself am due to drop off the PPS roll in June/July 2009.

Comment

I agree there is no point being PPS any more as you get zero benefits, despite the 'more exclusive' bullsh*t they tried to peddle. They couldn't care less either, as they make quite clear. I'm convinced they would do away with Krisflyer given half a chance.

They are still the best in the air and Changi is still the best airport, although the gap is closing on both counts from various places. I'll continue to fly them as and when it suits my schedule and budget, but I will not go too far out of my way to do so any longer like I used to. I requalified as TPP last year by accident rather than design, but I have no idea whether I will again next year. Can't say I'm bothered if I don't.

I was chatting with another brit who works in Singapore for a rather large organisation in the SKL a few weeks back and he was bemoaining their attitude, especially the bizarre TPR access restrictions. He say the expats in his office now call them 'The Nasty Airline', which I think is really sad, but tells it's own story.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        I agree there is no point being PPS any more as you get zero benefits, despite the 'more exclusive' bullsh*t they tried to peddle. They couldn't care less either, as they make quite clear. I'm convinced they would do away with Krisflyer given half a chance.

They are still the best in the air and Changi is still the best airport, although the gap is closing on both counts from various places. I'll continue to fly them as and when it suits my schedule and budget, but I will not go too far out of my way to do so any longer like I used to. I requalified as TPP last year by accident rather than design, but I have no idea whether I will again next year. Can't say I'm bothered if I don't.

I was chatting with another brit who works in Singapore for a rather large organisation in the SKL a few weeks back and he was bemoaining their attitude, especially the bizarre TPR access restrictions. He say the expats in his office now call them 'The Nasty Airline', which I think is really sad, but tells it's own story.
                        The Brit you mentioned is not the only ones. The executives of a large MNC in Singapore were moaning the same. So are a number of owners of SMEs who did well for their owners to fly premium class are moaning the same.

Some staff in SQ also felt their own organization is becoming more money focus and less keen on Frequent flyers. One e.g. is the double mileage requirements for 777W and A380 routes and the cut-backs in inexpensive perks.

So it is a Hobson's choice for us.

Comment

I have definetly become much less loyal because of the new rules.
                          In previous years I would fly SQ exclusively, even if it meant a detour and a little extra money.
                          Now I usually choose which is most convenient.

PPS really hasn't been anything special since I always fly in C anyway.
                          There were absolutely no benefits that I was aware of during any of my trips this year.

Due to my dis-loyalty I will loose PPS status next February, which I really won't miss and have no attachment too.
                          I will still keep flying SQ where I feel it's worthwhile as it definetly still is one of my favourite airlines. In the air they are still hard to beat and I enjoy Singapore very much.

Comment

I re-qualified last April already for 2009 Solitaire, and over the last 8 years averaged S$50k+ per year. That being said, I have not been on an SIA plane in 4 months and am not bothered really. In my opinion, SIA has deteriorated across the board and other airlines have improved.
                            I never (but particularly in the last year or so) felt like a valued customer and so take my business elsewhere at the moment. Its a pretty simple equation!

Comment

To keep it simple... I've dropped around S$100-150K in spend - now just keep things to a bare minimum.

Flying a mix of airlines and actually getting pretty good service - it's been a pleasure for example to rediscover the Japanese airlines and their outstanding catering.

I also tired of the super young/inexperienced crew (I can't count the number of flights where I come on board to shocked looks from the un-prepared crew) and the very poor new service on the SIN-EWR flights... so overall, I can't quite see what SQ won... but clearly saving a few bobs by culling PPS must be a huge success (cue the lengthy PowerPoint deck to show this...)

Comment

Working...
                              X