I have a question about...[fastest speed you've travelled]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question about...[fastest speed you've travelled]

What is the fastest speed at which you have ever travelled?

Welcome to SQTalk gearvegratte.

I have done 1050km/h on an A345 flight with the help of some tailwind.

Wish I'd taken a shot of the Krisworld Flight Path at that time.

Was thinking about starting a thread where we can post the fastest speeds we've flown!

Comment

I was on a SQ 744 which did 1000+ km/h (can't remember exact number) with tailwind too.

Comment

SIN-NRT on SQ 638

We are flying!!!

I briefly saw Tail Wind of 259km/h but did not get shot of that..

Comment

1126km/h also coincidentally happens to be my fastest documented speed...

Overflying ADL last year....

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=46

It shows 1120 here but a few minutes later it picked up 6km/h - don't have a pic of that, but it is still recorded in my GPS

Comment

ICN-SFO on SQ16

My new record. It was very bumpy at the time, switched to flight map and waited...

Comment

It's all relative ain't it! At the moment, I'm spinning around the sun at a speed of about 108,000 km/h...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                It's all relative ain't it! At the moment, I'm spinning around the sun at a speed of about 108,000 km/h...
                I hope you're not getting a headache like that

Comment

Tailwind by CarbonMan, on Flickr

At 330kmh, one of the strongest tailwind I have ever recorded, but I assume the pilot throttled back so as not to arrive too early. This flight was from SIN-EWR, a couple of months back.
                  Last edited by CarbonMan; 11 March 2012, 10:27 PM.

Comment

arriving early is always better isn't it? unless there's a curfew or unavailability of parking stands..

there's no need to throttle back as we fly by indicated mach number which is usually around 0.83 to 0.84 (which gives a true air speed of around 480-490 knots) for the 777 depending on the cost index selected..what you see on the flight path channel is the ground speed which is due to the tailwind..

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                    At 330kmh, one of the strongest tailwind I have ever recorded, but I assume the pilot throttled back so as not to arrive too early. This flight was from SIN-EWR, a couple of months back.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyday View Post
                      arriving early is always better isn't it? unless there's a curfew or unavailability of parking stands..

there's no need to throttle back as we fly by indicated mach number which is usually around 0.83 to 0.84 (which gives a true air speed of around 480-490 knots) for the 777 depending on the cost index selected..what you see on the flight path channel is the ground speed which is due to the tailwind..
                      Thanks for that insight, Sunnyday. In the experiences I have had flying SIN-EWR, arriving early means having to wait for the gate to become early. On that occasion when I recorded the 330kmh tail wind, we still arrived at 1715 in EWR, which is about the average arrival time for that flight. Presumably, that type of tail wind is the norm for that flight path.

Could you elaborate on what you term as cost index? Is that a number that is computed to maximize distance over jet fuel used for the engine type and weight of that flight? Does the route play a part in that index? thanks.

Comment

330kmh tail winds? That's 178 knots.

See some 200+ knot tailwinds here: http://www.groundspeedrecords.com/da...commercial.htm

Comment

Sorry the screenshot link in my original post wasn't correctly pasted (need to upgrade to New iPad )

Here it is again:

Tailwind by CarbonMan, on Flickr

I was obviously quite impressed ... but the ground speed wasn't as fast as I expected it to be. Sigh. Would've loved to feel the wind on my hair but at that speed I would've risked loosing whatever that's left.

Comment

cost index simply said..is the ratio of cost of time (e.g. tech crew wages, cabin crew wages, engine maintenance and other time related cost) and cost of fuel..and this cost index is fed into the aircraft computer to calculate the ECON speed for the flight.

if fuel price is high..the cost index chosen will be lower..so it's like telling the computer that i want to use the least amount of fuel to complete this flight..so ECON speed will generally be lower so you will reach your destination later

if fuel cost is low..the cost index chosen will be higher..telling the computer that fuel is not a concern and that i want to complete the flight in the least amount of time (time cost is high)..and thus burning more fuel

usually the cost index is set by the company..and the route doesn't really play a part..however there may be certain routes that may need to land before the curfew at a certain airport..so this flight may be planned with a higher cost index then normal..giving it more fuel and shorter flight time.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                            Thanks for that insight, Sunnyday. In the experiences I have had flying SIN-EWR, arriving early means having to wait for the gate to become early. On that occasion when I recorded the 330kmh tail wind, we still arrived at 1715 in EWR, which is about the average arrival time for that flight. Presumably, that type of tail wind is the norm for that flight path.

Could you elaborate on what you term as cost index? Is that a number that is computed to maximize distance over jet fuel used for the engine type and weight of that flight? Does the route play a part in that index? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyday View Post
                              cost index simply said..is the ratio of cost of time (e.g. tech crew wages, cabin crew wages, engine maintenance and other time related cost) and cost of fuel..and this cost index is fed into the aircraft computer to calculate the ECON speed for the flight.

if fuel price is high..the cost index chosen will be lower..so it's like telling the computer that i want to use the least amount of fuel to complete this flight..so ECON speed will generally be lower so you will reach your destination later

if fuel cost is low..the cost index chosen will be higher..telling the computer that fuel is not a concern and that i want to complete the flight in the least amount of time (time cost is high)..and thus burning more fuel

usually the cost index is set by the company..and the route doesn't really play a part..however there may be certain routes that may need to land before the curfew at a certain airport..so this flight may be planned with a higher cost index then normal..giving it more fuel and shorter flight time.
                              Thanks very much, Sunnyday! Your explanation was most informative. Looks like the cost index will be on the lower setting for quite some time to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X