No announcement yet.

LHR (pre-T5) Airport Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too bad that's quite some time away. As I was travelling through T2 yesterday, all I could think of was how badly the terminal needed to be razed. About the only good thing about T2 is that luggage tends to reach the carousel sooner than at BA's terminals.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 4 June 2007, 01:17 AM. Reason: oops
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Here is a long article from the Sunday Times on the T5 and BA.

Sunday Times Article

Comment

Queue at LHR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4xba_YFHj8

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Holy moo!! I know T3 was bad but have not experienced it as per the youtube vid. It pays to be on the Fastrack line.

I once considered getting out (bypassing FCC) and going back in. After seeing your vid, I am not likely to do so.

BTW, the FCC is gonna take you 15 mins wait on average.
          Last edited by SQFAN; 3 June 2007, 11:55 PM.

Comment

The soundtrack was very appropriate.

That must have been close to when they instituted the liquids and/or one-piece-for-carryon restrictions. I haven't experienced anything close to that recently, even in the non-Fast Track lane.

I wish someone would film the shoe x-ray farce after the first security line.
            Last edited by jjpb3; 4 June 2007, 01:18 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

I think it is faster to bypass FCC if you've got some sort of fast track at the other terminal like BA's Zone R in T1. The FCC fast track is pretty unreliable or practically non existent. After being slaughtered by the insane waits the last few times at FCC I'm inclined to experiment with going landside the next time I go through LHR. It especially helps when a full cooked breakfast is waiting to be had in the Arrivals Lounge...
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 June 2007, 12:33 AM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                It especially helps when a full cooked breakfast is waiting to be had in the Arrivals Lounge...
                I may be one of the few unimpressed by the BA Arrivals Lounge offerings (I haven't tried the VS Revivals Lounge): a bunch of grumpy passengers, a long wait for showers, a nondescript breakfast. I confess that this blase attitude may be due to my never having to rely on the Arrivals Lounge -- one of the perks of living in London .

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                  After being slaughtered by the insane waits the last few times at FCC I'm inclined to experiment with going landside the next time I go through LHR.
                  If you arrive at the time that the early-morning-arrival CX flights and SQ322 do, you wouldn't be so eager to risk landside. Unless you've registered for IRIS, or possess an EU (or Norwegian [see, MovieMan? I learn ] or Swiss) passport, or have fast-track privileges.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    If you arrive at the time that the early-morning-arrival CX flights and SQ322 do, you wouldn't be so eager to risk landside. Unless you've registered for IRIS, or possess an EU (or Norwegian [see, MovieMan? I learn ] or Swiss) passport, or have fast-track privileges.
                    A lot of my planned transfers are going to be T4 to T1 and vv though. Having cleared CIQ at T4 a few times at the crack of dawn (the QF009 arrival ) it wasn't that bad - but maybe I haven't struck the bad CIQ jackpot yet? Waiting times for baggage on the other hand... And well - a little creative rerouting to build up EQMs means the Traitor Air segment in my ONE has been expunged......no T3!

Relatively T3-free until I leave LHR on AA but will be originating at LHR then.
                    Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 June 2007, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Saved by OneWorld, eh?

Comment

I must admit I am not looking forward to my upcoming T4 to T1 transfer on my TLV-LHR-YVR flights. It will be the first time ever that I have had to transfer at LHR (up until now it has always been my start or finish destination). But if it looks too bad I guess I can always just go landside and do the transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                          But if it looks too bad I guess I can always just go landside and do the transfer.
                          At your own peril. However, if you have a BA Gold card, you'll be alright.

I confess that this blase attitude may be due to my never having to rely on the Arrivals Lounge -- one of the perks of living in London .
                          Grrr..and I have another 3.5 to/fro home (1.5 hrs flying with 2 hrs connection)

Comment

that line on youtube looks huge... ain't no fun! How long would it take you to get to your target there? Something like three houers?

Luckily I don't go there very often, and I never had the pleasureto transfer there. But my sister's gonna have to do that this September. I think I'll send her the vid
                            Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Welcome to SQ Talk, up and away!

Comment

Just some tidying up/additional info:

There is a fast track service for business class and first class passengers flying into T1, T3 and T4.
                                Not for EU passengers!

Applying in T3 was very painless for me, so I heartily recommend this option.
                                IRIS enrolment locations and times here:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/app...ntopeningtimes

Technically, it's shoes off, but I've seen instances when the requirement was waived.
                                BAA are required to screen a certain percentage of shoes so they do this by designating certain security lines as "shoes off".

Per EU regulations, carryon liquids and gels must conform to a size limit (100 ml, and all must fit inside a transparent, resealable plastic bag).
                                Being pedantic , it's the size of the container which can't exceed 100ml.

Can I smoke in this airport? Where?

There are designated smoking areas which are enclosed on the sides with glass partitions (not the top, though). I wouldn't like to be sitting in such an aquarium.
                                Not any longer of course...

Overnighting at this airport:
                                Perhaps link to this recent thread ?

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2037

Comment

Working...
                                X