No announcement yet.

Confirmed: UK One item cabin baggage restriction to be relaxed at some airports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed: UK One item cabin baggage restriction to be relaxed at some airports

Thought this might be of interest:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7145864.stm

The Department for Transport has said more than one piece will be allowed after 7 January, provided airports have purchased improved security scanners.

You mean this is for all terminals?
    When I took BA flight YYZ-LHR (which someone was missing his flight ), I was told that if I depart from T4, I can carry my rollabag as well as a computer bag. Thus two-carry-on allowed.
    And today I connected to ZRH at T4, and yes, I had no problem with my Tumi 20# and a small computer bag (not my backpack).
    In the flight connection security check, there is a sign now stating that no need to take out the laptop from the bag. Shoes off and liquids are still enforced.

Comment

This is going to lead to total confusion as you have some airports where you can take two items through and some where you can still only take one. In the case of LHR you could end up with different rules for different terminals.

Comment

Confusion indeed, but hopefully a move in the right direction

Comment

Hmm - I wonder if this relaxation will actually be in place by mid Jan at LHR and LGW...
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
            The Department for Transport has said more than one piece will be allowed after 7 January, provided airports have purchased improved security scanners.
            Only in this stupid country of ours would they try and cover the farce that has been the 1 bag rule by trying to make out the current scanners are somehow OK for scanning 1 bag, but not 2 !!.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
              This is going to lead to total confusion
              It is confusing many already. All the people who use LHR for longhaul but connect from a European city outside GB have to face new idiotic rules every three months on when to take their shoes off and in which cases their toothbrush could be a danger to national security.

you have some airports where you can take two items through and some where you can still only take one. In the case of LHR you could end up with different rules for different terminals.
              This is Europe
              Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

One-bag restriction on hand luggage relaxed at some UK Airports

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...&feed=business

Cabin baggage restrictions will be lifted at some of Britain's busiest airports next month, but passengers face confusion because the government has decided to retain the current regime at other sites.

At Heathrow, Stansted, Manchester and 16 other airports, passengers will be allowed to carry more than one piece of hand luggage through security checkpoints from January 7, the Department for Transport said yesterday.

However, the one-bag limit will remain at Gatwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow until those airports prove they can process more items without compromising security standards. ... It is expected that the 19 airports given the all-clear by the DfT yesterday will raise the limit to two bags.

The other 16 airports are: Aberdeen; Birmingham; London City; Cardiff; Prestwick; Southampton; Inverness; Islay; Kirkwall; Plymouth; Southend; Cambridge; Stornaway; Sumburgh; Benbecula and Wick.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

About time! Good news

Comment

I thought someone has posted this before. Should the MOD merge the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                      I thought someone has posted this before. Should the MOD merge the thread?

Check - and merged thread moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post

Check - and merged thread moved to the appropriate sub-forum.
                        He he,...well merged KeithMEL

Comment

I'd assumed that the new rule means that SQ - like BA - now allow one hand luggage plus one personal item (e.g. a laptop) through LHR.

However, I see from:

https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_...ulehandbag.jsp

that if travelling SQ J or F, the allowance is now two hand luggage plus one personal item!

Comment

Working...
                          X