5.5 hr layover at FRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.5 hr layover at FRA

Hi people. I'm arriving FRA (assuming nothing gets delayed) on LH779 at 05:40 on a Sunday and connecting on LH1332 to Marrakech at 11:05am.

I've read around, and everyone says that if your layover is up to 5 hours, you're better off staying at the airport. If it's 6 hours or more, you're better off heading out. But mine's 5hr 25min which technically doesn't fall into either.

Assuming the flight reaches on time (or early) I might want to just head out to Frankfurt or Mainz. Has anyone done something like that at FRA on a layover under 6 hours?

It's totally doable…a little tight, but doable. You could take the train into town and get a nice breakfast.
    HUGE AL

Comment

I took a 25 min train ride to Mainz had had a nice short walk around town. Took 3.5 hours from FRA station and back.

Comment

FRAnkfurt in 3 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          Fortunately that links to a single post and not what comes after...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            THANK GOD FOR THAT!

I do find it funny how *I'VE* (and other people) been censored for harmless posts, and that offensive stuff got accepted.
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
              That post is suffiicent for the OP to know it can be done in very little time, even more so in 2014...
              Last edited by Kyo; 16 December 2014, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Wow great thanks all! I'll prob do that, unless of course LH779 gets delayed.
                Super excited for Marrakech and Fes though!

Comment

Perhaps a bit late for the OP but - personally - I'd stay at the airport. it's a Sunday and most places shut in Frankfurt at least (I assume the same elsewhere in Germany). You won't find even a large supermarket open.

I set out to find my way into town and soon realised that taking the train was the preferred local method.
                  Which leaves from terminal 1 (which the OP arrives at) but if arriving at terminal 2, I'd also consider taking a bus, e.g. number 61 which gets you to Sudbahnhof in about 25 minutes.

EUR 3.70 poorer - And lots of words I don't understand
                  Einzelfahrt - oneway ticket. When I was last in Frankfurt last year, it was EUR 4.25 for this compared to a day ticket (tageskaarten) including the airport for EUR 8.30.

You take the S-Bahn S8 or S9 train between the airport and the main station (Hauptbahnhof).

The Majestic Hauptbahnhof - I still don't know what the DB stands for!
                  Deutsche Bahn

Before I know it, I'm at a park with a big EURO sign!
                  Willy Brandt Platz - back when the photo was taken, one of the nearby buildings housed the headquarters of the European Central Bank.

Comment

Wow, that's a blast from the past (and seeing my old wallet also!) - yes, I've subsequently been back through FRA quite a few times that I've lost count, and passed by that big EURO sign quite a bit. The last time being in Sept last year coming back from Oslo via HAM on GermanWings and DB (!), actually. It's still got the stench of the Occupy movement surrounding it. Very different to the time and good ol' SQTalk days when this TR was made and many living SQT legends were still around, like yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X