A perfect flight onboard the "new" F- SQ2 SIN-HKG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A perfect flight onboard the "new" F- SQ2 SIN-HKG

This is coming late, seeing as I flew almost a month ago but I've been too busy of late. I must apologise for the picture quality an inconsistency. To avoid looking noobish I took them all very quickly, rarely enough time for the camera to focus.

Here's the chronology of my wonderful SQ experience

It was just perfect. A flight I was looking forward to for two months. Everything was flawless from the moment I entered the First Class check-in suite at Changi, to the lounges and of course the flight itself.

Check-In

When I arrived at the airport (a little early actually), I was greeted by the porter. He took my bags and a lady led me to the check-in counter. The usual, got my bags weighed and got my boarding pass. The staff were very pleasant and we had a brief conversation when I told them it was my first trip on SQ in a very long time.

After that I entered the transit area and was greeted by the huge Silverkris logo on the wall just above the escalator.

The lounges- T3

When I arrived at the spacious entrance to SKL at T3, I was greeted by the dragon ladies. They were all very friendly. One of them showed me around the entire lounge from the J lounge to The Private Room.

The J lounge was larger than I expected. At that time it was rather empty, but I was told it sometimes gets a little crowded in the evenings.

The F lounge looked nicer but it didn't seem to have an edge over J. The food spread looked largely the same as J.

TPR expectedly had the nicest interiors The dragon lady at the TPR counter took my invitation card though I thought I could keep it. Oh well, I took a picture of it and reluctantly gave it to her.

After reading the papers, I started on some food over at TPR. The waiter handed me the menu and being not much of the meat eater I am I settled for a vegetarian pasta dish:

Capellini with Wild Mushroom Ragout and Truffle Oil
    Fine pasta with stewed mushroom drizzled with truffle oil

The pasta was wonderful. The texture was just right. I'm not much of a mushroom lover but this was done just perfect.

I then had a piece of cake the waiter insisted I try. Of course I was tempted to have more but there was still the other parts of SKL to explore and I wanted to leave space for their offerings too.

After the meal I headed out to the First Class lounge. Wasn't impressed. There was an unattended bar but that's expected since there was only one other guest there. I wasn't hungry but couldn't resist getting some cheese (I love cheese!) from the food counter.

It was then time to leave the sterile and largely unattractive F lounge for J.

Perhaps I like large spaces over exclusivity but the J lounge was the coziest and nicest one to me. I wouldn't have stayed long there but a chap from the states I met started a conversation.

The lounges- T2

I still had quite a bit of time on my hands, which was intended. I left the lounge and checked out the shops before heading over to T2 SKL, continuing my lounge-hopping

I had some trouble finding it once I got to T2 but asking around a bit, I got there. I was surprised. This lounge seemed a whole lot busier! I guess there must have been a number of SQ flights departing from T2 around that time or the pax preferred this to the T3 one.

Advising that I could use the T3 SKL lounge, when I explained my curiousity to check out their's the Indonesian male staff at the entrance seemed flattered and explained that some pax departing from T3 prefer using their lounge. He showed me to the F section and suggested I try the food offerings.

Again, I wasn't hungry, but could resist getting some cheese and cakes. There were at least 10pax in there. The deco was very dated, it looked a little cluttered but cozy. I expected some tarmac views though. Oh well. It's interesting to note that they use the old inflight F plates in this lounge.

I then made my way to the J section. It was bigger, brighter and cozier but otherwise very similar to the former section.

That concluded my "SKL tour". I left the lounge after a brief conversation with the same pleasantly enthusiastic male staff at the entrance.

I decided to walk around the airport a little more- yes, I'm quite the curious explorer! I walked past what I think was the Qantas lounge (near the TG lounge) and boy was it scary. The dragon lady looked like an actual dragon She was a tall, lady in a uniform at the entrance that looked a little like something security guards don and she starred at me watchfully as I walked past lol.

The lounges- T3 again

Since I still had a bit more time I decided to head back to T3 SKL. On the way I walked past the Krisflyer Gold lounge and had a little peek in. Yes, it looked as pathetic as some SQ Talkers described it!

The staff at the T3 SKL welcomed be back. I was spoilt for choice! Couldn't decide which section I wanted to go to. I thought I'd head to TPR. There they were preparing for some tea time offerings I think. The staff pushed out a trolley with some cakes and tea. I was still full from all the cheese so I settled for a cup of green tea while I watched some tv. The staff were very nice, they offered me the remote control guessing that a guy my age may not want to watch the news and the lounge was empty

It was now about half an hour before my gate was to open. I thought I'd have one last look at the F section before I board. It was now livelier. The bar was staffed and there were a few more pax. I got another drink (yes, I was oddly thirsty that day haha) and an Australian chap I came across started a conversation. He thought it odd a "young chap" like me would be flying all alone which I took as a compliment heh. We had a nice conversation but I had to cut it short for it my gate had already opened at that time.

So I headed down. Cleared security and boy was I excited as I walked down the gate.
    Last edited by concept|infinit; 25 May 2009, 09:01 AM.

Looking forward to reading about your "First" time

Comment

Entering the plane

As I approached the gate, a very friendly IFS by the name of Yvone greeted me by name and welcomed me aboard. I was informed that I was the only pax in F so I could sit wherever I wanted! I still settled for my chosen seat 2A. Yvone then introduced her staff who would be serving me, an LSS by the name of Hayati and LS Trevor.

One pax on the other side of the cabin was later upgraded. A Q/T/LPP perhaps?

All the cabin crew in F were very warm and welcoming. I was given the trademark hot towels then some nuts and champagne- I settled for Krug. Sensing that I was the jovial, chatty sort, she was quick to start a conversation and asked when I'd like to start the meal service.

I loved the seat! It was way too wide for me but I found it cozy and comfortable. If the flight were longer I think I'd have requested for more cushions though.

Once we were in the air and the seatbelt sign went off, I got up and took some pics of the cabin when the crew were out of the cabin to avoid looking like the complete noob I was Hayati caught me redhanded! And helpfully offered to help me take some pics. We had another long conversation. Gosh, I think I spent most of my time onboard yapping away with the crew. They were very personal and friendly. Its like they were really interested in having a conversation rather than just entertaining and F pax. I told Hayati about how it was my first flight on SQ in years and she offered to show me around the rest of the plane. When we got to Y and she was telling me about the new Y class, the passengers look a little surprised expectedly. Hopefully we didn't intrude on their privacy. They all looked happy too and the new Y class looks fantastic! Especially the rear cabin. Didn't like dull blue seats of the forward Y cabin.

The meal service

When they offered to start the meal service, they were very descriptive with the menu options.

We started with some breads. I think I had sourdough bread and olive oil.

For the Appetiser, I chose the Cold appetizer combination. After I got it I remembered I dont like meat lol. The crew was attentive enough to notice I didn't quite like my choice of an appetiser (I was picking at it with my fork lol). They immediately offered me the Chilled Malossol Caivar, mentioning that it was very popular with the pax. I took it and wasn't disappointed.

I skipped soup, sensing I would not be able to finish the later courses if I had it.

I took my greens though, the salad, Lamb Lettuce with Baby Romaine Leaves was good.

For the main event, I settled for my BTC- Pan Fried Sea Bass with Zuccini Pasta although the crew repeatedly mentioned that I could have any option from the menu if I'd prefer it. My BTC was good but I expected more. Oh well, I should have chosen the BTC Lobster I guess.

For dessert, I asked for Avacado Cream with Espresso Ice Cream. It wasn't loaded. The IFS came out and apologised profusely followed by the rest of the crew. They offered to customise the other option- Lemon Tart with Kiwi Sorbet and Berries but I laughed it off, it didn't matter to me. But I asked for more berries of course

I was full by then but of course I can't pass on cheese! Hayati brought out a tray of cheeses and I settled for red cheddar and Boursin garlic I believe.

I was way too full for fruits but not pralines of course.

Rather than end it with some aromatic coffees as I otherwise would, since I was just so full, I substituted it for green tea.

The remaining time onboard (which felt way too short!)

I continued chatting with the crew. Hayati insisted I try the Port from Portugal. I did. It was lovely.

I was then a little thirsty and headed over to the galley to get a glass of water. The IFS was stunned to see me there and looked apologetic, like its a really bad thing if a F pax walked to the galley and they couldn't prevent it lol. It's no big deal really! I also met the captain there who just got out of a lavatory. Had a brief conversation and headed back to my seat.

Had yet another conversation with the cabin crew, browsed through Krisworld a little and it was time to a very awful part of the SQ experience- the post-landing phase when you had to get off!

I almost wished I had chosen to fly to San Francisco for the next leg of the flight! As I was about to leave, the crew gathered to send me off and we thanked each other for being such a wonderful pax and staff lol.

And there it ended Very memorable indeed and what made it so was probably the enthusiastic crew. Hope I'd encounter them on my subsequent flights.
      Last edited by concept|infinit; 25 May 2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Pictures!

Entering the First Class Check-In Suite

View from the escalator before T3 SKL

Entrance to SKL

Entrance to the J section

TPR views- sitting, dinning areas
        Last edited by concept|infinit; 25 May 2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The Private Loos

TPR menu

Some Champagne

Dinning area

Pasta

Dessert

Comment

F lounge views- sitting areas, bar

Got some cheese in the F lounge

J lounge views

Comment

Entrance to T2 SKL

T2 SKL- Entrance to the F section

T2 SKL F section views

Got some dessert in T2 SKL F

T2 J Section

Back to TPR- tarmac views- wish there weren't those blinds. I'd rather a clear glass wall (maybe with film to keep excess light out)

Comment

View from my window upon boarding

My seat

The cabin- it was a lovely sunset. Too bad I could not capture it better. There was only one other pax in F

Krug and some roasted wallnuts and cashews

The menu

Comment

Meal service! First course to last. apologies for the last picture- I couldn't resist the pralines

Comment

And that concludes my virgin SQ F experience
                    Hope I didn't bore anyone with how long it was.. I thought I'd give a detailed chronology

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                      Hope I didn't bore anyone with how long it was.
                      A trip in SQ F doesn't bore me in the slightest. Thanks for sharing mate, you rock!
                      Last edited by s7r0ng3r; 25 May 2009, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. 1 word of caution. Your TPR invite has your name on it, depending on you, you might want to leave it or blank it out

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                          Thanks for sharing. 1 word of caution. Your TPR invite has your name on it, depending on you, you might want to leave it or blank it out
                          Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot to edit it

Comment

nice pictures!
                            i'm so tempted to buy a discounted SIN-HK J ticket and upgrade with miles.

Comment

Good to hear that you enjoyed your first First trip, concept|infinit.

Comment

Working...
                              X