SQ Y Catering to Jakarta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ Y Catering to Jakarta

Flew to Jakarta earlier this week. Had breakfast SIN-CGK and dinner CGK-SIN.

Both meals very good. On both these sectors, you had a choice of either an Asian selection or a Western selection.

Breakfast SIN-CGK on SQ956 (9.25am departure)...

Dinner CGK-SIN on SQ963 (6.10pm departure), Asian-style chicken in a mildly spicy sauce with rice...

You had a choice of red/white wine, beer or soft drinks (and tea/coffee) to accompany your meal.

Even on this very short sector, with a scheduled time 1 hr 45 min, actual flight time closer to 1 hr 20 min, they had a full range of beverages available.

I asked if they had a gin & tonic available (It was a tough work day -- I badly needed a drink), and they brought it to me a few minutes later.

Great catering for such a short sector!

On a related topic, both sectors were flown on SQ's 777's with current regional J seat (2-2-2), and refitted 9-abreast Y seat (brown seat covers over the old blue Y seats).

With CGK being a high-yielding station and with a huge loyalty base, SQ needs to maintain its standards as the preferred international carrier from CGK.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

I have always found the food in Y & J (never flown F) very good compared to other airlines. However I do find the food in Y is not enough for myself and im still hungry afterwards.

Comment

my case is always that the food ex-CGK is by far much better than ex-SIN. There has been two instances when the flight were not full from both SIN and CGK, and the meal ex-CGK was carried from SIN. Correct me if I am wrong, but from the smell of it, I can seem to detect that the food was ex-SIN.

Comment

Originally posted by 726 View Post
          my case is always that the food ex-CGK is by far much better than ex-SIN. There has been two instances when the flight were not full from both SIN and CGK, and the meal ex-CGK was carried from SIN. Correct me if I am wrong, but from the smell of it, I can seem to detect that the food was ex-SIN.
          If I am not wrong, other than the night-stop flight, the rest of the flights are double catered ex-SIN.
          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

According to my cousin (who used to work as SQ stewardess), the food comes from the departing airport (the galley only have that amount of space to store those food).

It is double-catered only when something happened to the catering company in the airport (e.g. strike occur in CDG catering, hence they have no choice but to bring food for both ex-SIN and ex-CDG from SG catering). This means something have to be sacrificed...

For short flights like CGK that provide light meals, I'm not sure if they double-catered though (forgot to ask about that).

Comment

CGK-SIN meals are catered ex-SIN (unless it is a night-stop flight, not sure if SQ does that in CGK). You can usually tell where the meal is catered from by the labels and covers on the water and orange juice, and sometimes even butter.

I was in Jakarta just last week as well. Was on GA, and I must say that GA's meals are not inferior to SQ's on this short sector, in fact the GA tray had a little more content.

Comment

Haha I see.

Hmm... Based on yflyer BKK trip report, the BKK one is not double-catered though...

Comment

BKK is definitely not double-uplift. It's cheaper to cater ex-BKK.

Comment

i doubt if CGK is double catered from SIN due to the food smells differently - at least in Y class (except for those two instances I mentioned), but correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 726 View Post
                      i doubt if CGK is double catered from SIN due to the food smells differently - at least in Y class (except for those two instances I mentioned), but correct me if I am wrong.
                      CGK is double catered from Changi. The other destinations that are double catered are CMB, CCU, DAC, DPS, HAN, KUL and SUB.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        CGK is double catered from Changi. The other destinations that are double catered are CMB, CCU, DAC, DPS, HAN, KUL and SUB.
                        Hmm... Thought catering from those airport should be cheaper (based on the countries economy).

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                          Hmm... Thought catering from those airport should be cheaper (based on the countries economy).
                          For KUL I'm not sure how much they'd save with just drinks and a handful of sandwiches...

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                            But it's not just down to cost, thankfully. It's the website folk who do that...

Just going around buying the cheapest food available is not what one would expect from a so called premium airline. There are a number of items to be considered, some unique to the station as shown by the fact HAN is back catered but SGN is not.

Comment

CGK is still double catered, but may not be for long. SQ is looking at catering out of CGK for all flights now.

Comment

Working...
                              X